Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 11:06:49 am

Author Topic: What Level 3 subjects are good for BSc/Major in Mechanical Systems?  (Read 9689 times)  Share 

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +96
So far I've got:

Mechanical Design
Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics
Mechanics and Materials
Mechanical Dynamics

My problem is I need 75 points at level 3, 50 of which I've used for the above subjects for the major in the 3rd year. I don't know what other level 3 subjects to take. I'll be taking 25 points off level 2 as I can't take any off level 1 (prereqs for the major and masters), can anyone help me out?
Science, Melbourne University.

John President

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mostly Harmless
  • Respect: +45
  • School: Kids, stay in it.
  • School Grad Year: 2010
Re: What Level 3 subjects are good for BSc/Major in Mechanical Systems?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 11:59:20 am »
http://www.bsc.unimelb.edu.au/majors/major/mechsys

You can use this as a guide - you don't necessarily have to do the subjects in light blue.

Alternatively you can consult someone at uni, such as in the Mech Eng department or a course adviser, for advice.
The Finnish word pilkunnussija, which translates literally to “comma fucker,” is someone who risks his social wellbeing to annoyingly and persistently point out punctuation errors.

Completed VCE in 2010 - Now doing BSc at UoM

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +53
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 12:14:15 pm »
+1
So far I've got:

Mechanical Design
Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics
Mechanics and Materials
Mechanical Dynamics

My problem is I need 75 points at level 3, 50 of which I've used for the above subjects for the major in the 3rd year. I don't know what other level 3 subjects to take. I'll be taking 25 points off level 2 as I can't take any off level 1 (prereqs for the major and masters), can anyone help me out?

Here's the full list of subjects you can take https://handbook.unimelb.edu.au/view/2012/%21B-SCI-SPC%2B1021

You can try to supplement it with maths, other engineering subjects, physics etc..
2012-2015 - Doctor of Medicine (MD) @ UniMelb
2010-2011 - Bachelor of Science (BSc) majoring in Pure Mathematics @ UniMelb
2009 - VCE [99.70] -- Eng [43] - Methods [44] - Chem [44] - JapSL [45] - Spesh [45] - MUEP Jap [5.5]

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 12:18:45 pm »
Here's the full list of subjects you can take https://handbook.unimelb.edu.au/view/2012/%21B-SCI-SPC%2B1021

You can try to supplement it with maths, other engineering subjects, physics etc..

Thanks for that! But if I may ask your opinion, what are some good complementary subjects to mechanical systems? I don't know what 2 subjects to choose.

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:05:58 pm »

Thanks for that! But if I may ask your opinion, what are some good complementary subjects to mechanical systems? I don't know what 2 subjects to choose.

I wouldn't know but some of my friends who are majoring in electrical systems are also doing mechanical systems and software systems subjects to complement. The easiest thing for you would probably be to do foundations of electrical networks, which lets you do the third year electrical engineering subjects. Otherwise, it may be difficult to find other areas to do level 3 subjects in. For example, most third year maths subjects require both real analysis and vector calculus. You would have to do this on top of engineering maths. Physics is even worse, requiring the two maths subjects I mentioned before as well as another 1-3 second year physics subjects.
2009 - VCE [99.70] -- Eng [43] - Methods [44] - Chem [44] - JapSL [45] - Spesh [45] - MUEP Jap [5.5]

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 03:41:59 pm »

I wouldn't know but some of my friends who are majoring in electrical systems are also doing mechanical systems and software systems subjects to complement. The easiest thing for you would probably be to do foundations of electrical networks, which lets you do the third year electrical engineering subjects. Otherwise, it may be difficult to find other areas to do level 3 subjects in. For example, most third year maths subjects require both real analysis and vector calculus. You would have to do this on top of engineering maths. Physics is even worse, requiring the two maths subjects I mentioned before as well as another 1-3 second year physics subjects.

Ok, so I've currently got listed for level 2:

Engineering Computation
Engineering Mechanics
Engineering Mathematics
Engineering Materials
Electromagnetism & Optics

and

Thermal & Classical Physics
Discrete Maths & Operations Research

I'm thinking of replacing the last two with two level 3 subjects. So far, I've warmed to both Risk Analysis (CVEN30008) and Structural Theory & Design (CVEN30009). I know these are more for the civil major, but would it be helpful to have them to complement the major in Mech. Systems?

Would it be good to replace Electromagnetism & Optics with Foundation of Electrical networks? I currently have Electromagnetism & Optics listed as my complementary subject in the 3rd year along with Engineering Materials so I'm not really sure. I could replace Thermal & Classical Physics and Discrete Maths & Operations Research with two level 3 subjects as complements in the 3rd year and move Foundation of Electrical networks and Engineering Materials into my semester 2 subjects in the second year. Would that seem right to you?

And thanks for all your help so far. My stress levels were about to get the better of me :P

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 03:55:54 pm »
^ It is probably better to do foundations of electrical networks instead of electromag. The reason is the former is an engineering subject and allows you to do third year electrical engineering if you wish (or even change your mind). Electromag is a physics subject primarily and even doing it won't allow you to pursue third year physics because you don't meet the maths requirements.

As for what complements a mech. systems major well, I would have no idea, although I think for now, doing first year subjects that will keep your options open should probably be your only major concern. You have plenty of time to think about future subjects this year.

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 04:24:12 pm »
Thanks so much for the advice. This is what my plan currently looks like, do you mind having a look?

Edit: I'm not entirely sure whether my color coding is correct in terms of complementary subjects, leading to majors and additional etc.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:25:43 pm by 86 »

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 04:28:08 pm »
Thanks so much for the advice. This is what my plan currently looks like, do you mind having a look?

Edit: I'm not entirely sure whether my color coding is correct in terms of complementary subjects, leading to majors and additional etc.

One big problem: you have to have done ESD2 before you can do eng mechanics or foundations of electrical networks. This means you should do it in first year or summer of second year.

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 04:35:40 pm »
What should I swap in the first year?

Edit: What if I swap Physics 2 with ESD2?

jasrulz63

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 05:09:38 pm »
You could use a breadth slot if you wanted.

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 05:12:32 pm »
You could use a breadth slot if you wanted.

I could, but I'm thinking of taking a Commerce breadth track and some philosophy/linguistics. It's pretty tight as it is..

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 05:54:49 pm »
I assume you do not wish to take any summer subjects? If that's the case then you may have to drop physics 2 (or do it later if you still wish).

jasrulz63

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 06:29:03 pm »
If ESD2 is done in summer, doesn't there mean a subject has to be lost somewhere, so 86 doesn't exceed the 300 credit point limit.

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 06:33:46 pm »
If ESD2 is done in summer, doesn't there mean a subject has to be lost somewhere, so 86 doesn't exceed the 300 credit point limit.

Yep that's right, he'll have to underload at some point.