Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:51:33 pm

Author Topic: Susie's State Rank Q+A: April 8th (7pm - 9pm)  (Read 4184 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Susie's State Rank Q+A: April 8th (7pm - 9pm)
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 08:19:33 pm »
+6
- With the, let’s say sizeable changes in the modern history syllabus, what do you recommend students go to for sample questions? Are past NESA papers still relevant, or should a different resource be considered?

- Hey Susie lets hear about the time in Russia again because why not

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 08:26:20 pm »
+9
- With the, let’s say sizeable changes in the modern history syllabus, what do you recommend students go to for sample questions? Are past NESA papers still relevant, or should a different resource be considered?
the NESA papers would only be applicable for the Peace and Conflict Study. Some of the National Study questions would be relevant, but not all of them, so pick and choose. If you're part of my Tutesmart class (not so subtle plug) you don't need to worry about this stuff at all, because I've created a full practice paper for every dot point of the core study syllabus, along with every dot point for the Russia, Cold War and Conflict in Europe syllabi as well (Conflict in Indochina is on the way!).

If you're working independently, you can ask your teacher for practice questions (most of the time they'd be more than happy to supply some for keen students!), or try creating your own questions! Most of the time, questions are just syllabus dot points with a question mark at the end. You can find good sources to analyse on spartacus educational as well.

- Hey Susie lets hear about the time in Russia again because why not
Okay, so, basically I'm banned from Russia for 2 years (one year into a three year ban) because I was an illegal alien there for 24 hours. Was wild. Total accident, apparently a 1 hr taxi ride to the airport can take 3.5 hrs, so we missed out flight. Totally don't regret going through, not only is this the best story ever, but also overall the trip was amazing! I literally met Lenin (okay, well I saw his dead body, so admittedly a bit one sided)! It was so cool.
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 08:58:20 pm »
+3
Hey Susie!! Hope you're having an awesome day ;D ;D ;D

I see you mentioning that your way of studying was to write practice questions. How did you first approach learning the content? I'm in ancient history, and my personality is Julius Caesar. I would like to attempt practice questions, but I feel stuck on what to talk about. How did you get around that hurdle of actually knowing what is relevant and what is not? Hopefully my question made sense ;D ;D ;D
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 09:09:02 pm »
+7
Hey Susie!! Hope you're having an awesome day ;D ;D ;D

I see you mentioning that your way of studying was to write practice questions. How did you first approach learning the content? I'm in ancient history, and my personality is Julius Caesar. I would like to attempt practice questions, but I feel stuck on what to talk about. How did you get around that hurdle of actually knowing what is relevant and what is not? Hopefully my question made sense ;D ;D ;D
To be honest, I learned the content through the practice questions! Obviously class time helped, but I found that researching, collating and writing up my responses really helped me learn the content, as well as consolidate it. For example, I learned most of the detail I used in my responses from realising I needed a source or a statistic to back up a point and doing a quick google search. I actually found that was a better way of judging whether or not the content was relevant, because I was only ever researching or collating the information with a purpose - finding content that specifically related to the question at hand. This allowed me to understand what was and wasn't relevant from what I went through in class.

Hope this makes sense!

Lucky last question!!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 09:13:01 pm »
+7
kk hope that was useful for all of you! Thank you for all the cute cats and dogs <3

I'm off for the night! But if you have any more history related questions, feel free to direct them to the various history threads here on atarnotes, or come hang out with me at the upcoming lectures! Modern and Ancient are booked out, but we've still got some spots left in history extension!

Hope to see you there,

Bye guys!

xoxo