Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:17:40 pm

Author Topic: Help with Question needed!!!  (Read 763 times)  Share 

lakvinu

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Help with Question needed!!!
« on: October 18, 2019, 10:36:59 am »
Hello,

Can someone please help me with this question?

Thanks

Theodric_Ironfist

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
Re: Help with Question needed!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 09:34:27 pm »
+1
At time t=0, both waves have amplitude 0, so the resultant wave has amplitude 0. This rules out B.

At the next instant, both waves have the same amplitude at point Z, and both are positive, so the resultant wave has a positive amplitude, double that of X and Y. Thus option A.

In fact, at any time during this scenario both X and Y have equal amplitudes at Z due to symmetry, and so the resultant wave will always just have double the amplitude. Point Z is basically an antinode on a standing wave pattern.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 09:39:24 pm by Theodric_Ironfist »

lakvinu

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 06:27:20 pm »
At time t=0, both waves have amplitude 0, so the resultant wave has amplitude 0. This rules out B.

At the next instant, both waves have the same amplitude at point Z, and both are positive, so the resultant wave has a positive amplitude, double that of X and Y. Thus option A.

In fact, at any time during this scenario both X and Y have equal amplitudes at Z due to symmetry, and so the resultant wave will always just have double the amplitude. Point Z is basically an antinode on a standing wave pattern.

Hello,

Yes I thought the answer was A as well but the solutions was C. I attached the solution.

Theodric_Ironfist

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 07:15:55 pm »
Answer is definitely A, if you take wave X to be the one that looks like a positive sine wave, which is definitely what it looks like. NEAP has been wrong before...