Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 11:05:23 pm

Author Topic: Biology: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 49332 times)

jainamhs

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Biology: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2018, 06:05:28 am »
Thanks for the amazing help guys!

Additionally, in the question regarding two future impacts on the segregated whale / shark species, I wrote two separate dot points on reduced population size and possible extinction, though I'm scared they may be too similar. One was based on out-competition for food by humans due to fishing, and the other was low genetic diversity due to already small population size.

Would these be valid?

Once again, thanks for answering all my unending river of questions! 😋

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2018, 09:43:31 am »
Thanks for the amazing help guys!

Additionally, in the question regarding two future impacts on the segregated whale / shark species, I wrote two separate dot points on reduced population size and possible extinction, though I'm scared they may be too similar. One was based on out-competition for food by humans due to fishing, and the other was low genetic diversity due to already small population size.

Would these be valid?

Once again, thanks for answering all my unending river of questions! 😋

I can't remember the question precisely off the top of my head (and don't have a copy of the exam handy), but these do sound pretty similar. There are occasions though when VCAA will accept answers that are almost identical as different, which is unfortunate.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Abi21

• Trailblazer
« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2018, 08:14:10 pm »
Hi guys,
I know the exam was ages ago but for the question asking for chemical defences, I said chemical secretions by the plant (cos thats literally all we were taught). I know its a very general and poor answer but is there any chance that would gain a mark?
Also, for the question abt  excessive apoptosis, I said an autoimmune disease could causes excessive cell death (and explained autoantibodies). Is that correct or too vague?
Thanks

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2018, 08:23:21 pm »
+1
Hi guys,
I know the exam was ages ago but for the question asking for chemical defences, I said chemical secretions by the plant (cos thats literally all we were taught). I know its a very general and poor answer but is there any chance that would gain a mark?
Also, for the question abt  excessive apoptosis, I said an autoimmune disease could causes excessive cell death (and explained autoantibodies). Is that correct or too vague?
Thanks

Maybe on the chemical secretions. I doubt it, but if they were being really nice they might. It was a pretty tricky question—my least favourite of the exam.

Probably too vague to get full marks. You don't appear to have linked it well to apoptosis.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2018, 08:39:12 pm »
+1
Hi guys,
Also, for the question abt  excessive apoptosis, I said an autoimmune disease could cause excessive cell death (and explained autoantibodies). Is that correct or too vague?
Thanks
The question specifically stated that it wanted you to talk about malfunctions in apoptosis. If you just talked about and described an autoimmune response I do not think this will get the marks, especially since I would consider this a malfunction in the immune system rather than a malfunction in the process of apoptosis.
But that's just my opinion and all we can do is wait for the examiner's report.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Abi21

• Trailblazer
« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2018, 09:14:50 pm »
The question specifically stated that it wanted you to talk about malfunctions in apoptosis. If you just talked about and described an autoimmune response I do not think this will get the marks, especially since I would consider this a malfunction in the immune system rather than a malfunction in the process of apoptosis.
But that's just my opinion and all we can do is wait for the examiner's report.
damn, thanks anyways