Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:45:18 pm

Author Topic: The Cricket Thread  (Read 360936 times)

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
Re: The Cricket Thread
« Reply #2175 on: January 12, 2021, 03:54:58 pm »
+2
Don't see how AUS can continue with Wade in the top 6. It's great they realised he wasn't a test quality opener. The only way he will survive is if AUS continues to win.
I really question the depth of batting we really have if we have to go back to a 33-year old Wade. Really concerning! Pucovski looked really good though, so did Green. Hopefully we can build around them!

Gabba will be exciting, I still can't believe we only 5 wickets on the final day. The SCG has never ever been that flat, so frustrating. Usually deteriorates by day 4ish. Credit again due to India though, I think Rahane is a much better captain than Kohli. Pujara is amazing, has always been.

What are your changes for the last test? I'd drop Wade and maybe even Starc. Thought Starc was so off in that last test, his spells were so frustrating to watch esp in day 5.
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Oynx

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2176 on: January 12, 2021, 06:39:57 pm »
+2
I really question the depth of batting we really have if we have to go back to a 33-year old Wade. Really concerning! Pucovski looked really good though, so did Green. Hopefully we can build around them!

Gabba will be exciting, I still can't believe we only 5 wickets on the final day. The SCG has never ever been that flat, so frustrating. Usually deteriorates by day 4ish. Credit again due to India though, I think Rahane is a much better captain than Kohli. Pujara is amazing, has always been.

What are your changes for the last test? I'd drop Wade and maybe even Starc. Thought Starc was so off in that last test, his spells were so frustrating to watch esp in day 5.

Having Starc gives that option of having a left-handed bowler, which can be quite handy, and also with the series on the line his experience will be invaluable, wade on the other hand, he will probably go but it would be quite interesting to see who they bring in(probably Henriques or Head). Who would you want to see play?

Being an Indian fan myself, I was quite proud of the boys on day 5, stuck through it and fought hard but really really concerned for the next match, our whole bowling attack is inexperienced which is extremely concerning considering the form Marnus and Smith are in :-\. Pant should also go up the order, amazing innings he played! Really deserved the 100  :P.

Should be an interesting one but it doesn't look too good for India :(

2021 - Biology | Further mathematics

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2177 on: January 12, 2021, 06:51:10 pm »
+2

Yeah really impressed by Green, especially his concentration, patience and defense. The slogging at the end was a bonus.

Not the biggest fan of starc but I don't think he deserves to be dropped. For Wade I guess Head would be the obvious choice just for the next test but I don't think that would be a long-term fix. 

Having Starc gives that option of having a left-handed bowler, which can be quite handy, and also with the series on the line his experience will be invaluable, wade on the other hand, he will probably go but it would be quite interesting to see who they bring in(probably Henriques or Head). Who would you want to see play?

Being an Indian fan myself, I was quite proud of the boys on day 5, stuck through it and fought hard but really really concerned for the next match, our whole bowling attack is inexperienced which is extremely concerning considering the form Marnus and Smith are in :-\. Pant should also go up the order, amazing innings he played! Really deserved the 100  :P.

Should be an interesting one but it doesn't look too good for India :(
Yeah, would be quite difficult for you guys. They've done well to have it at 1-1 after 3 games given it is basically your B team playing a full-strength AUS team.

Einsteinium

• Trailblazer
  • Cricket
« Reply #2178 on: January 12, 2021, 09:52:12 pm »
+2
Hi, :D
I was really excited for the last day of the SCG Test and it started off really exciting with Sharma gone early and then Shubman Gill gone for the first ball after his fifty. It seemed like Australia had it, which I am sure most Aussie fans would have loved. I was really impressed with how Rishabh Pant did considering he had a hard blow to his elbow. I was also happy to see Pujara playing confidently after the first 2 tests, and I have to commend Ashwin and Vihari for really digging deep for India and playing with patience. Though I was disappointed with Australia's bowling.

To be honest I don't see Travis head coming back after his first performances so I think they will bring in someone new and give them a shot. I also believe that Starc will stay as he is the only left-hand Pace bowler and he is experienced. he is missing a lot of his famous yorkers though.

What do you all think about India's injures especially Bumrah? Who can replace him?

“People Who Are Crazy Enough To Think They Can Change The World, Are The Ones Who Do.” – Rob Siltanen

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #2179 on: January 14, 2021, 01:16:38 pm »
+1
To be honest I don't see Travis head coming back after his first performances so I think they will bring in someone new and give them a shot. I also believe that Starc will stay as he is the only left-hand Pace bowler and he is experienced. he is missing a lot of his famous yorkers though.

What do you all think about India's injures especially Bumrah? Who can replace him?
Yeah, I wouldn't want T.Head back personally tbh but I think the selectors like him (he was VC iirc).
Not too sure on who IND can bring it - given the need to quarantine they have limited options.

On Day 5 AUS looked to get rattled quite easily and really didn't handle the pressure well. I definitely expected better from Paine but It was good that he apologised for his on-field antics during the last test (although bit interesting sledging a tailender about batting when they have 4 test hundreds and you have none). As for Smith, definitely not surprised with what happened there given everyone already knows who he is and has been caught multiple times before.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2180 on: January 14, 2021, 02:09:57 pm »
+2
Real shame for Puc. Hasn't had an easy run.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Einsteinium

• Trailblazer
  • Cricket
« Reply #2181 on: January 15, 2021, 12:18:56 pm »
+3
Real shame for Puc. Hasn't had an easy run.
Yeah, I totally agree with you, he has not had an easy career. After his 9th concussion, debate has started about how many concussions are too many.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/how-many-more-is-too-many-pucovski-concussions-spark-concern-20201209-p56m3r.html

Also, what do you think of this article?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/cricket-has-endorsed-head-hunting-for-too-long-it-s-time-for-the-bouncer-to-go-20201211-p56mo3.html

As for Smith, definitely not surprised with what happened there given everyone already knows who he is and has been caught multiple times before.
Personally, I believe that Steve Smith did that out of habit. I am sure that most of you know that Steve Smith loves his shadow batting and he always comes onto the crease to shadow bat and have a look at the pitch. I feel like this incident was out of habit. Also, as most players have said the pitch was so worn that doing what he did would not have affected the marks. Anyway, the people who came onto the pitch to clean it used their hard bristle broom went over the marks which would have also ruined them if the pitch was newer. Though I do believe that Steve Smith needs to be careful from now on because of his history.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 12:30:25 pm by Einsteinium »
“People Who Are Crazy Enough To Think They Can Change The World, Are The Ones Who Do.” – Rob Siltanen

masterhiya

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #2183 on: January 16, 2021, 12:09:54 am »
+2
Personally, I believe that Steve Smith did that out of habit. I am sure that most of you know that Steve Smith loves his shadow batting and he always comes onto the crease to shadow bat and have a look at the pitch. I feel like this incident was out of habit. Also, as most players have said the pitch was so worn that doing what he did would not have affected the marks. Anyway, the people who came onto the pitch to clean it used their hard bristle broom went over the marks which would have also ruined them if the pitch was newer. Though I do believe that Steve Smith needs to be careful from now on because of his history.
Yeah, I wouldn't know if he does that every game but will be interesting to see if he continues to do it this game.

I agree that it wouldn't have messed the marks up on a test quality pitch at day 5 but there are still the laws of cricket to follow and he's not really someone the public would give the benefit of the doubt to.

Einsteinium

• Trailblazer
  • Cricket
« Reply #2184 on: January 16, 2021, 12:20:13 pm »
+2
I agree that it wouldn't have messed the marks up on a test quality pitch at day 5 but there are still the laws of cricket to follow and he's not really someone the public would give the benefit of the doubt to.

Yeah, I totally agree with you. His history is not the best and I don't think the public totally trusts him. He may not have been doing anything wrong but he needs to be very careful and avoid these things so that the public trusts him.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #2185 on: January 19, 2021, 07:39:40 pm »
+5
That was embarrassing :( Obviously well played by IND was good to see them go for the win -  Pujara tends to get a lot of hate but was a huge reason for the win this time and the draw last time.

The worst part is probably AUS playing pretty well and to their limit for most of the series but still losing against a B/C team - gonna be interesting to see who gets dropped. Any predictions?

yikes at Lyon. Both as a person (throwing at the head of the debutant and not apologising as one would do if it had been on accident and it slipped out of his hand  - reminds me of the AB De Villiers incident so definitely a trend with him) and also having a bunch of day 5 chances to win a test for AUS and not closing.

Oynx

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2186 on: January 19, 2021, 08:14:33 pm »
+3
That was embarrassing :( Obviously well played by IND was good to see them go for the win -  Pujara tends to get a lot of hate but was a huge reason for the win this time and the draw last time.

The worst part is probably AUS playing pretty well and to their limit for most of the series but still losing against a B/C team - gonna be interesting to see who gets dropped. Any predictions?

yikes at Lyon. Both as a person (throwing at the head of the debutant and not apologising as one would do if it had been on accident and it slipped out of his hand  - reminds me of the AB De Villiers incident so definitely a trend with him) and also having a bunch of day 5 chances to win a test for AUS and not closing.

Ah, super proud of the boys, playing hard and winning the test. Big game for Pujara, Gill, Pant and Siraj played amazingly - definetly agree Pujara gets alot of hate by playing old school test cricket - the Pujara and Gill partnership had set everything up so perfectly and then for Pant to come in and play one of his best innings so far was great.

Second time in two weeks for Australia, not being able to bowl India out on day 5 despite having the best bowling attack in the world. Just don't think it was Australias day, Starc was off for a large portion of the day but highly doubt he will get dropped due to the experience - Harris will get dropped for Will for their next series and maybe drop Wade for Kurtis Patterson or Ben McDermott or even Glen Maxwell.

Didn't see the Lyon accident but that's poor by him, playing his hundredth test and throwing the ball at someone playing his first  :P

One of the most exciting test matches I've seen in a long long time and this rivalry definitely continues to grow. Bigger than the ashes?
2021 - Biology | Further mathematics

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #2187 on: January 19, 2021, 11:11:31 pm »
+2
Well done to India, cracking test series.

I am confused to how bloody flat the pitches were this series though. Mark my words, when England come over here, you'll see a completely different set up. I find it interesting that our pitches become so suddenly rock hard flat whenever India tour here.

Despite that, no excuses - India literally had their second or third string bowling attack. Whilst they bowled well, I feel like they truly did expose how limited in depth our batting line up is. It's just Smith and Marnus carrying us!

Really disappointed, a summer to forget. We need to find a place for Wade, possibly Harris and will Warner ever regain his form? Can Paine bounce back? He'd be facing a lot of music considering he was the first captain in forever to lose that record at the GABBA .
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #2188 on: January 19, 2021, 11:42:42 pm »
+1
super interesting test series.
What's funny is that AUS managed to beat India when the had Kohli and their full team but lost against their B team haha. Maybe their ego got the better of them.
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

masterhiya

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2189 on: January 20, 2021, 12:08:46 pm »
Are you talking about the 2018 series? Because India won that.