Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:55:36 pm

Author Topic: faaaaantastic, the journey is over!  (Read 34487 times)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: faaaaantastic, the journey is almost over!
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2017, 06:25:00 pm »
+4
Keep working toward your goals; it sounds like you're doing great! :D

How excellent are good teachers?

thanks!! they're the best. a lot of mine are really easy to talk to :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2017, 03:30:50 pm »
+7
12/9

theme of the day: putting differences aside, and the song perfect by ed sheeran is stuck in my head

period 1 - catholic studies // last 'work' lesson today! we have a party for all catholic studies students tomorrow so yay :-) today we watched this video from insight, which airs on sbs 1(i think?) and that was pretty interesting. it was about detecting gender and/or disabilities in embryos, with the moral debate on whether it should actually be done.

period 2 - english // our last module rotation began today and oh my goodness gracious i am so ready for english to be over forever.

period 3 - maths // WE FINISHED THE MATHS COURSE YAY!!!!!!!! i reckon this was the most satisfying subject to finish because i'll be done with maths after hsc - no more maths classes, and i'll only have to do plus minus times and divide and percentages and maybe fractions after school WOO

period 4 - modern // the gift we gave our teacher yesterday is based on his wardrobe - he pretty much wears the same thing everyday. we got him a nice polo shirt, a knitted sweater and gummy bears. he said he would wear the sweater on thursday, but what wasn't expected was he rocked up in the polo. when he walked into class today he said something along the lines of 'girls, i have a new shirt' and i almost cried hahahhahah. anyway, before that we were playing kahoot, then he looked so confused as to what was going on, and was roasting girls who were getting questions wrong (we did a few modern kahoots, and other random ones like disney). i'm pretty sure he smashed all of us in the last one (germany kahoot) - someone had the nickname rasputin and no one could figure out who it was, and that person was beating the person who came second by a solid 8000+ points.

period 5 - early leave // last early leave ever! went home, ate, and did nothing until i realised i had to return a book to the library. it's really hot today and knowing tomorrow's going to be even warmer makes me want to move to europe because it's colder there 😅

hope you all had a great day,
fantasticbeasts x

ps. was just about to type my name in... then i realised i always signed out as fantasticbeasts
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2017, 05:18:35 pm »
+8
13/9

themes of today: oh my goodness it is so hot and windy today; english teachers can go away

period 1 - modern // today was the last lesson of modern ever :-( i'll miss learning about history so much (unless i end up doing a BA). we played kahoot again today, and took a few photos. our teacher was reluctant to take a photo with us (he took one on his ipad first) then i convinced him to take a selfie with the class, to which he asked where my selfie stick was 😂 modern will definitely be the subject i miss the most.

period 2 - study // very very very unproductive. it was the last study period ever though, so whatever. the class split into two, one watched game of thrones, and the other just did nothing. our supervising teacher watched game of thrones with the other half hahahaha. spent the entire lesson reminiscing about primary school memories, especially my friend and i who talked about this gifted and talented program we did in primary. so many memories hahah

period 3 - legal // spent the lesson doing absolutely nothing, because our teacher forgot to turn up 😂 he did remember to come to class with half an hour to go, and my friend and i spent that time asking about stuff that happened in the cold war, and if we remembered any of it (he did). quite an interesting lesson, ended with us saying we could use him as one of our historiography examples (an example of what he said, and i quote, "gorbachev advocated for partial democracy, which was a factor in the collapse of communism.").

period 4 - catholic studies // had a bit of a catholic studies party, and we spent the lesson eating, and talking about stuff after hsc.

period 5 - maths // i think our teacher had planned for us to do work, but we spent the lesson talking about the evolution of our class 😂 myself and three other girls dropped from 3u to 2u at the beginning of year 12 last year, and our teacher was saying how the class didn't really talk until we came. we then spoke about the other classes we had that people didn't talk in, as in we don't answer questions. although we have another lesson tomorrow, our class gift came today - a huge bouquet of flowers and chocolates, and the flowers were SO PRETTY (wish i'd taken a photo of them!). it's nice to see how grateful teachers are for the stuff we get them, but really, it's the things they've done for us that are amazing.

last day tomorrow!!! going to be a good one (except for english).

rant
i sent in a creative here on AN, and got pretty positive feedback, so submitted it to the english marking box at the beginning of this week, and got a 7/15. not going to like i'm kinda cut, but apparently for a short story (not even that, we can just call it 1000 words) you need a climax and everything? like okay i'll try and fix it but i'm not going to bother trying my best to fix something i'm not good at, because i know i can do way better in the modules, and sections 1/3 of paper 1 so i think i'll try my best to ace those and scrape a pass in the creative.

it's annoying because i know i'm a creative thinker, but i'm not the best writer. writing wise, i'm more logical and analytical. english is going to ruin my atar, because i know i can manage around 80 in maths, and 85+ for my other subjects and i'll probably get a 50 in english (knock on wood). can't wait to get this stupid subject over and done with.

all the love,
fantasticbeasts x

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2017, 05:36:39 pm »
+6
i sent in a creative here on AN, and got pretty positive feedback, so submitted it to the english marking box at the beginning of this week, and got a 7/15.

This happens to me too. :o English faculties are quite notorious for this. They say your essay is perfect but give you a 15/20 in the exam.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2017, 06:02:55 pm »
+4
This happens to me too. :o English faculties are quite notorious for this. They say your essay is perfect but give you a 15/20 in the exam.

and english teachers wonder why no one likes them or their subject... it's too subjective. one teacher can like one thing, the other won't like that same thing. so inconsistent, and so annoying. "double marking"? sorry what's that? especially when you send one thing to one teacher, and the other thinks it's shit but gives it the same mark anyways, because who cares?

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2017, 06:22:42 pm »
+6
like okay i'll try and fix it but i'm not going to bother trying my best to fix something i'm not good at, because i know i can do way better in the modules, and sections 1/3 of paper 1 so i think i'll try my best to ace those and scrape a pass in the creative.

it's annoying because i know i'm a creative thinker, but i'm not the best writer. writing wise, i'm more logical and analytical. english is going to ruin my atar, because i know i can manage around 80 in maths, and 85+ for my other subjects and i'll probably get a 50 in english (knock on wood). can't wait to get this stupid subject over and done with.[/spoiler]

all the love,
fantasticbeasts x

Yes, English (especially CW) is very subjective. However, I did just read your piece and felt similar to Jamon in the areas that could be improved so you should try and get as much feedback as possible which will allow you to recognise what is continuing to be a detriment to your mark. Also, I wouldn't disregard your CW to work on section 1 and 3 as going from a 12/15 to 15/15 in section 3 is much harder than going from a 7/15 to 10/15 in section two and those marks are equivalent in value. I also hated English for a long time (even last year I came 34/89) but I worked very hard at it by reading AN articles/essay's and learnt what constitutes a solid English essay. I now find working on English essay's moderately fun as I love words and I'm always looking for a new 'sesquipedalian' (pun intended) which will impress the marker. I ended up getting the 3rd rank in English so you can definitely significantly improve in a short amount of time.

I find motivation through feedback so keep on posting as you have a lot of unclaimed posts and I will try to help whenever I can as I'm sure many others on here will as well. :)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2017, 06:39:37 pm »
+5
Yes, English (especially CW) is very subjective. However, I did just read your piece and felt similar to Jamon in the areas that could be improved so you should try and get as much feedback as possible which will allow you to recognise what is continuing to be a detriment to your mark. Also, I wouldn't disregard your CW to work on section 1 and 3 as going from a 12/15 to 15/15 in section 3 is much harder than going from a 7/15 to 10/15 in section two and those marks are equivalent in value. I also hated English for a long time (even last year I came 34/89) but I worked very hard at it by reading AN articles/essay's and learnt what constitutes a solid English essay. I now find working on English essay's moderately fun as I love words and I'm always looking for a new 'sesquipedalian' (pun intended) which will impress the marker. I ended up getting the 3rd rank in English so you can definitely significantly improve in a short amount of time.

I find motivation through feedback so keep on posting as you have a lot of unclaimed posts and I will try to help whenever I can as I'm sure many others on here will as well. :)

yea for sure. i've got a few other ideas, so i'll see what i can do about those, but if not, i'll stick to my original one.

the main feedback i got was, and i quote, "you don't have a story, but a long description of setting." i then had a graph of sorts on how a story is meant to go. i'm kinda angry, because the feedback sort of invalidated (is that a word? i think it is) my own experience of discovery. it could be bias. who knows?

anyway, will definitely send stuff on here for feedback because my posts accumulate fast, but the marking boxes at school are open until the end of next week, so i'll use those until term ends.

thanks!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:49:23 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2017, 04:30:16 pm »
+9
14/9

wow hey hello hi!!!! this is someone who's just finished their last day of lessons wooooooo

period 1 - maths // played kahoot the entire lesson - who would've known maths kahoots were so intense! after playing for about half an hour, we went outside to eat (we're not allowed food in buildings) and talked about how the year's gone. never again will i attend an actual maths class!!! crazy

period 2 - legal // the highlight of the day. after delivering booklets to a year 10 history class, we had a party with lots of food. our teacher loved our present, which was really awesome. we got him a gavel and sound block, because he always bangs on the desk with some object (first a ruler, then a huge protractor which people stole) to get students' attention. there was a metal plate on the gavel which we got engraved with his name, and we all wrote a thank you letter each. it was really cute and seeing his reaction really made my day :-) i'll definitely miss legal.

period 3 - english // this lesson was so boring because we had to do work. i mean, what a downer. i'll miss the teacher we had though - had her in year 9 for history and english, and this year for the war poetry module (+ the weird revision thing).

period 4 - pc // spent the entire period in church for our graduation mass on monday :-) all i got from this was my school is very extra

period 5 - business // a lesson spent doing absolutely nothing. awesome.

i also got my end of year report, and there were some huge improvements in ranks so i'm pretty happy. i promised myself i would crack the top 15 in english and legal, and make the top half of maths, and i did!!!!!!! i'm proud of myself and to know hard work pays off feels good. all i need to do is smash the hsc and i should be able to get my goal atar :-)

hope you all had an amazing day,
fantasticbeasts x

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2017, 04:34:48 pm »
+8
i also got my end of year report, and there were some huge improvements in ranks so i'm pretty happy. i promised myself i would crack the top 15 in english and legal, and make the top half of maths, and i did!!!!!!! i'm proud of myself and to know hard work pays off feels good. all i need to do is smash the hsc and i should be able to get my goal atar :-)

Congrats!!! Those are great results, and I'm really glad you've achieved your goals!  ;D ;D ;D
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2017, 05:02:56 pm »
+5
Congrats!!! Those are great results, and I'm really glad you've achieved your goals!  ;D ;D ;D

thank you!!!

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2017, 05:14:40 pm »
+3
period 2 - legal // the highlight of the day. after delivering booklets to a year 10 history class, we had a party with lots of food. our teacher loved our present, which was really awesome. we got him a gavel and sound block, because he always bangs on the desk with some object (first a ruler, then a huge protractor which people stole) to get students' attention. there was a metal plate on the gavel which we got engraved with his name, and we all wrote a thank you letter each. it was really cute and seeing his reaction really made my day :-) i'll definitely miss legal.
This is such a cool idea...made me laugh when i read it ;D

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2017, 11:04:19 pm »
+11
18/9

it's been a while since i've updated this thread - i've had a crazy weekend, and graduation today. it's so weird how time has flown, and the finality of receiving a graduation certificate... i'm actually so woah? it's very hard to believe.

i'll never have to go to class again, i'll never wear a blazer again, i'll never use that heavy school-provided backpack again, i'll never wear stockings again. so many things have ended. i'll miss catching the train and seeing the same people everyday, i'll miss the experience of a high school class (no matter how much i hated some of them).

on another note, i have finally gotten my dress and shoes for my friend's formal on thursday!!!!! go me, i was receiving a lot of judgemental looks when i told them i was shopping for a formal less than a week away whoops.

hope you've all had an amazing day,
fantasticbeasts x

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2017, 12:31:56 pm »
+8
21/9

since graduation, i've been watching outlander (i.e. i haven't done any study), and now that i'm up to date, i've begun doing work.

never in my mind did i think modern history would be an annoying subject until today. sorry to all who like the personality study, but i can't stand it. i've been compiling quotes all morning and it's so damn frustrating. i'm doing the 2016 paper, and the question asks for differing perspectives and interpretations so i'm doing that but most things about gorbachev are that he's a visionary to communism (quotes are very easy to find for this one) but traitor... it's a lot harder to find stuff that makes him look like a total traitor to communism.

anyway, it's my friend's formal today, and because i've been caught up doing modern (although i don't like this section much it's very easy to lose track of time when studying), i haven't done anything to get ready... whoops.

hope you're all having a great day,
fantasticbeasts x

ps. very excited to meet some of you on monday!!

Shadowxo

• Forum Leader
  • Graphing is where I draw the line.
  • Respect: +516
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2017, 01:01:47 pm »
+3
since graduation, i've been watching outlander (i.e. i haven't done any study), and now that i'm up to date, i've begun doing work.
I love Outlander. Been reading the book and it's like falling in love with the characters all over again :)
Finally found someone else who watches it  ;D
Completed VCE 2016
2015: Biology
2016: Methods | Physics | Chemistry | Specialist Maths | Literature
ATAR : 97.90
2017: BSci (Maths and Engineering) at MelbUni
Feel free to pm me if you have any questions!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2017, 03:24:23 pm »
+1
I love Outlander. Been reading the book and it's like falling in love with the characters all over again :)
Finally found someone else who watches it  ;D

yay!!! i tried to read the books, but to me, it read like a fanfiction so i think i'll stick with the show :-) new episode today!!!