Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:20:19 am

Author Topic: JMSS Entry For 2018  (Read 431051 times)  Share 

MrBojio

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS Entry For 2018
« Reply #1485 on: August 19, 2017, 04:18:33 pm »
+1
hello!! i've been scrolling through for almost two hours and i decided to just register to join this thread XD

i just got an email for my JMSS interview on the 23rd  and it'll be a Skype interview ;_;  (I'm an international student from Malaysia)

does anyone have any tips for the interview? i'm legit scared and hyped at the same time and i dont know what to do lmao

thanks! :D

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1486 on: August 19, 2017, 04:30:45 pm »
hello!! i've been scrolling through for almost two hours and i decided to just register to join this thread XD

i just got an email for my JMSS interview on the 23rd  and it'll be a Skype interview ;_;  (I'm an international student from Malaysia)

does anyone have any tips for the interview? i'm legit scared and hyped at the same time and i dont know what to do lmao

wow that's so cool!! I'm not sure how similar the interview will be to ours, but I'm assuming it will be pretty similar. My advice is just to lay back and be yourself, however don't act too casual or you may come of as 'careless'. Also, throughly think your answers through before answering or you may ramble on a bit. They usually give you a bit of time to answer so really rack your brains and make sure you get everything out, but pace yourself so you don't talk too quickly. Good luck, I hope you will do better than I did, ahaha
2019 -Biology
2020- Chem, Methods, Spec, English and Literature

quinn_03

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #1487 on: August 19, 2017, 04:48:43 pm »

wow, I didn't know they did skype interviews! congrats on getting one, you should be proud of yourself for making it this far. :)
like emonerd said, try not to be too casual, but also make sure you're not very 'stiff' either. show a bit of your personality. Also, smile, use hand gestures, show your passion of science, and don't be afraid to talk about yourself. hope this helps, best of luck for the interview! :)
2020 VCE
English [raw 50 + 60/60 exam score]
Literature [48]

Offering 2021 English and Literature tutoring + resources!

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #1488 on: August 19, 2017, 08:42:41 pm »
+4

AHAH that two hour thing is so relatable XD Glad you could join us
I'm amazed at how JMSS does skype interviews o.o 
Goes to show how much they care and how far they're willing to go.

Anyways, I think that emonerd and quinn gave good advice.
• Be yourself
• Try to be casual but serious
• Think about your answers before answering
• Pace yourself
• Be friendly to the interviewer
• Show your passion for science

I'll try to add a few more things:
Practice some general interview questions
You should definitely try to sit a practice interview or get someone else to ask you questions. Answering questions in your head vs saying it to someone are two very different experiences.

Try to make your answers somewhat short and concise
This way, you can get more important points across in an efficient manner.

Don't be afraid to ask them questions
Whether it's asking them to repeat the question or asking about the school, don't be afraid to ask.

Have an ambition
It makes you look more confident and passionate if you talk about your future goals and career. Even if it's just a lie, I think it's a lot better than saying "I'm not sure." Though, it's okay to be clueless about your future.

Show that you have different skills apart from academia (extracurricular activities)
They're looking for smart, passionate students, but they're also looking for people that can demonstrate skills in other areas. Some JMSS students didn't have any extracurricular activities to show for their interviews, but they still got in. So, don't stress too much if you don't have a whole lot.

Try not to say "ummm", "uhhhh" or "like" too much
I know a lot of people do this, but it can be difficult to follow what you say if you constantly say those three things, especially "like". "I like chemistry because like you get to like do all these amazing experiments and it's like so fun to do." It's okay to ask the interviewers for a few seconds to think about your answers.

Try to finish your interview with little to no regrets
You'd be surprised at how quickly time flies by. Make sure you get all your important points across so that you can finish your interview and feel confident about it. Since you'll be on a skype interview, you might get more time, but don't take quote me on that.
=======
It's good that you feel scared and hyped at the same time. There's not a whole lot to say for interviews because they're just general stuff. Sorry for my long post, but I think it'll help you and other people out. Glhf on your interview!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 08:44:39 pm by Shadestache »
When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

Undergroundmoose

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1489 on: August 19, 2017, 09:08:59 pm »

I'm a current JMSS Year 12 Student so I've known the teachers that will be interviewing you for three years now. All of the teachers, including the principal and vice principals are really relaxed and just generally cool people. Show passion for science and get them talking if you can, that's the most important thing. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me.

MrBojio

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1490 on: August 19, 2017, 10:26:46 pm »
Gee, lots of tips and i'm sure that they'll really help me out! thank you everyone! :D

it's just so motivating to be part of such a helpful and awesome community like this!
hopefully i'll get into JMSS and i can meet all of you irl :')

good luck to everyone who are waiting for their entry results!

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
  • GO BEYOND!!!! PLUS ULTRA!!!!
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #1491 on: August 19, 2017, 11:23:02 pm »
Btw, sorry Shadestache for stealing your idea. I didn't mean to create the 100th page. (I didn't realise, lol.)

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1492 on: August 19, 2017, 11:33:27 pm »
Btw, sorry Shadestache for stealing your idea. I didn't mean to create the 100th page. (I didn't realise, lol.)

My plan was to swoop in and be like, "WOOO 100th PAGE YAY *insert inspirational paragraph about our journey and appreciation of the community*"
Too bad I wasn't online at that time to do it XD
It's okay, I''ll probably (not) be there for 150 or 200 :')

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1493 on: August 20, 2017, 08:10:33 pm »
Btw, I heard that people from Lighthouse Christian College already have the result about whether they got accepted to JMSS or not (a Lighthouse Christian College girl, who goes to my Viet school, told me about it). Is this true, or is it just a rumour??

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1494 on: August 20, 2017, 08:36:29 pm »
Btw, I heard that people from Lighthouse Christian College already have the result about whether they got accepted to JMSS or not (a Lighthouse Christian College girl, who goes to my Viet school, told me about it). Is this true, or is it just a rumour??

Woah that's so early! And this is for Year 9 Entry?
Apparently the results come out around early September (5-9 maybe), but I'm not sure if it means offers + results, or results only.

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1495 on: August 20, 2017, 08:45:19 pm »
Woah that's so early! And this is for Year 9 Entry?
Apparently the results come out around early September (5-9 maybe), but I'm not sure if it means offers + results, or results only.

On JMSS' website, it says that the results come out on the 9th of September. When I finished my interview, a staff member from JMSS said that it will come out on the 9th of September as well. However, a girl who goes to Lighthouse Christian College told me that people from her school got the result. I'm so confused. Uhhh???? Wot????

Logically, it's too early for staff members to decide who to accept students to be part of JMSS. Idek what's going on.... So.... :|

WhompingWillow

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1496 on: August 20, 2017, 08:45:40 pm »

I believe that this could be true as one of my friends at my school knows some friends at Lighthouse(as he used to go there) and they got their interview offers one to one and a half weeks before we did.

Chinese SL   Methods

English  Economics Spesh  Physics

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1497 on: August 20, 2017, 08:48:00 pm »
I believe that this could be true as one of my friends at my school knows some friends at Lighthouse(as he used to go there) and they got their interview offers one to one and a half weeks before we did.

Wot???? I'm surprised to hear that! (Well, at the same time, it's not really fair)

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1498 on: August 20, 2017, 08:58:47 pm »
Wot???? I'm surprised to hear that! (Well, at the same time, it's not really fair)

Maybe they're really smart or something? Ugh, we still have to wait another 3 or so weeks ;-;
I'm starting to worry about the 3% rule :\\

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1499 on: August 20, 2017, 09:04:25 pm »
Maybe they're really smart or something? Ugh, we still have to wait another 3 or so weeks ;-;
I'm starting to worry about the 3% rule :\\

#discrimination