Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:48:32 pm

Author Topic: Nursing to Medicine... help  (Read 1930 times)  Share 

nedia3

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Nursing to Medicine... help
« on: November 21, 2021, 08:31:25 pm »
I was wondering, how would I become a surgeon after I do a nursing degree? Because I want to finish off a degree and begin working so I have a job to lay back on if I don't end up getting into medicine or finishing it due to certain circumstances. What pathways can I take and what good university in Melbourne should I consider?

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
Re: Nursing to Medicine... help
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 10:43:15 pm »
+2
Welcome to ATAR Notes, nedia3!

I'm glad to hear nursing has piqued your interest! With a Bachelor of Nursing, you can are eligible to apply for postgraduate medicine* provided you have satisfied the entry requirements - usually an interview, and competitive GAMSAT score and GPA.

*At UniMelb and Deakin in Victoria (I think Notre Dame has a clinical school in Victoria too though but they aren't considered a Victorian uni per se). Monash requires the completion of a Monash degree - Bachelor of Biomedical Science (and Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Gippsland Partnership Program) at Federation University), Bachelor of Science with the completion of specific units, Physiotherapy or Pharmacy. There's more information about entry into Monash graduate medicine here.

Hope this helps :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
Re: Nursing to Medicine... help
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 08:56:01 pm »
+1
If you're really keen on getting into med after your nursing degree, you could also consider applying to other med schools interstate to give you more chances of getting into one of them.