Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:22:09 pm

Author Topic: ATAR estimate//advice  (Read 2098 times)

honeylatte

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
ATAR estimate//advice
« on: July 24, 2021, 12:30:56 pm »
Hey guys! I hope everyone is doing well during the pandemic :)

So I used to be so smart but just so many different factors have diminished my academic ability. I wanted to get into Law/PPE at UNSW but I highly doubt it after getting my marks back, which is why I wanted to ask for some advice in regards to an atar estimate/general advice.

So I go to a school ranked in the 30s, and my ranks are as follows:

Advanced English: 31/164
Extension 1 English: 15/164
Extension 2 English: 9/18
Mathematics: 98/103
Biology: around 57/63 (however I aim to increase it by a lot in trials, I started tutoring and I'm doing well)
Economics: around 28/30 (also aiming to increase this)

Embarrassing ranks haha I know I'm doing poorly :( this is due to anxiety related stuff but I know I can improve in trials. I was once aiming for a 96 but now I'll be happy with anything above 90.

I know I can hopefully get my bio ranks to at least top 30, and same with English. I used to be top 5 for Advanced but once again my anxiety got in the way.

Thank you for reading !! I would really appreciate an ATAR estimate or anything

zbolland

• Trailblazer
  • chocolate milk aficionado
  • Respect: +15
Re: ATAR estimate//advice
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 09:38:58 pm »
+2
Look, I haven't graduated yet. However, I've received my own ATAR estimate and understand that the process of estimating one's ATAR requires a lot more than just ranks. For me, they took into account: 'important' factors (i.e. assessment results, rankings, weighting) and 'less important' factors (i.e. homework completion, class participation, general aptitude, past results). This seems to be the way most schools make their predictions.

To provide a somewhat credible prediction, it would require (most importantly):
  • General academic aptitude
  • Teacher advice/expectations
  • Actual marks and weighting
  • Your trials marks

I feel like any form of ATAR estimate given to you prior to trials may be a good indicator of how things are going, but is in no way shape or form a definitive and accurate way of measuring how well someone will do. Also, I feel like it's a bad idea to presume how you will do in trials and to assume your marks based on speculation and expectation. That, in itself, can be devastating if someone receives a really high ATAR estimate but doesn't meet their own/teacher expectations during trials.

Regardless, from my observations of your ranks, you seem to be doing pretty well in certain subjects and not as well in others. Considering your school ranking, I think > 90 is definitely a possibility, assuming the remainder of your cohort in those respective subjects is doing well. Once again, however, there are way too many issues with predicting an ATAR based entirely on your school, your ranks and your expectations.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck for your trials and I hope you do as well as you expect yourself to do (and better)!
Aim: 98 ATAR (Bachelor of Commerce/Law at USyd + Future Leaders Scheme)

honeylatte

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: ATAR estimate//advice
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 07:03:24 pm »
Yep makes sense :) Thank you so much, I appreciate it