Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:14:00 pm

Author Topic: What's your favourite book of all time?  (Read 12511 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
What's your favourite book of all time?
« on: May 02, 2018, 04:35:09 pm »
+4
My go-to response for this question is Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell. From Wikipedia, because it does a better job explaining the core premise than what I could:

"Keep the Aspidistra Flying, first published in 1936, is a socially critical novel by George Orwell. It is set in 1930s London. The main theme is Gordon Comstock's romantic ambition to defy worship of the money-god and status, and the dismal life that results."

I like everything of Orwell's that I've read (I think Burmese Days is the only major one I've not yet read), and have read several of his novels on multiple occasions. But Keep the Aspidistra Flying just seemed more real to me, and was really relatable. I love that a lot of Orwell's protagonists are just, I don't know. Simple. Bland, perhaps. I identify with that haha. And I like, too, how the theme of society revolving around money is just as relevant now as it was when the book was published many decades ago.

Orwell's a great writer. There's no need for particularly verbose language, or hugely complex syntax. That's what I like about his words.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: What's your favourite book of all time?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 04:43:07 pm »
+2
Can I answer with a series? If yes, Skulduggery Pleasant

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 04:44:16 pm »

Yes, but only if you elaborate.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 04:55:28 pm »
+3
I’m really bad at picking favourite anything but the book that immediately comes to mind is Tomorrow when the war began. There’s no particular part of it, but I could (and have) reread it over and over again and still love it, and that’s always a sign of a good book imo.

There’s many, many other books that I’ve enjoyed and reread, but that one always felt particularly ...real? That’s probably the wrong word, but it felt like it had meaning. I could name many series and authors that I’ve enjoyed but that’s the only one I can think of (for now at least) where I enjoyed a particular book rather than a general idea or writing style.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 10:26:22 pm »
+2
My favourite book of all times is without a doubt Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. You know it's a good book when you actually *feel* all the emotions the main character feels in the novel, when reading you feel stressed, anxious, and claustrophobic, and the ending really makes you feel liberated (at least to an extent). It's a short book but also conveys so much.

Also, it's amazing as despite being a dystopian novel it does not criticise a particular political party or stance, but rather human nature as a whole. And who knows, with the rapid development of technology there's a strong likelihood that the events of the book would one day be reality.

Favourite series of all time are Harry Potter (need I say more?) and The Three Body Problem, which is trilogy that opens in the 1960s and ends trillions of years in the future. As it's translated fiction not many people know this series (BUT IT'S SO GOOD!) so here's a brief introduction (explained very badly by me):
Spoiler
(1st book - The Three Body Problem) An astrophysics student witnesses her father's execution in the 1960s and loses faith in humanity. She gets transferred to a top secret military base working on establishing communication with extraterrestrial life, and sends a message into space basically asking aliens to invade earth as she believes humanity is doomed. 4 light years away aliens from the planet of Trisolaris (they orbit around 3 suns) plans an invasion of earth as their home planet is constantly under threat from the unpredictable activity of their 3 suns.

(2nd book - The Dark Forest) In present day the UN tries to counter the attack through different means which all end in failure. An ex-astronomy student and sociologist (who also probably has schizophrenia, as he broke up with his real life girlfriend in order marry to a fictional character he created) is granted complete power by the UN to do anything to stop the attack after finding out that Trisolaris wants him dead.

(3rd book - Death's End) In present day a rich physicist dying of cancer buys a star (an actual star) for a girl he had a crush on during their uni days, and the girl responds by sending his brain to space in order to act as an 'ambassador' between Earth and Trisolaris. About 400 years into the future, Trisolaris invades earth and forces everyone to move to Australia so that Trisolaris can have the northern hemisphere to themselves (for the 2nd time in history 'Straya becomes a dumping ground).

I’m really bad at picking favourite anything but the book that immediately comes to mind is Tomorrow when the war began. There’s no particular part of it, but I could (and have) reread it over and over again and still love it, and that’s always a sign of a good book imo.
Man, I forgot that series existed. I probably read the first book at least 10 times back in year 8, and would definitely read it again.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:04:03 pm by Lsjnzy13 »
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 10:39:17 pm »
+2
Yes, but only if you elaborate.
Hmm, well for me it's the right combination of humour and serious messages. I really enjoy Derek Landy's writing style.
Plus, I got into the series when I was like, 12, and a fair few of the books came out as I went through high school, so I sort of grew up with the series, so there's a special place for it in my heart.

Plus, it hasn't been made into a TV show or movie, so it's still just my own imagination and stuff, which is special

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 10:54:08 pm »
+1

This series contained the level of wit I always aspired to possess. As you can tell, still aspiring...

P.S. there's a new one
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 11:01:54 pm »
+2

Such a good series - Also a hallmark of my adolescence!  :o

I can't think of the answer to the actual question right now, so I'm going to spin it. My favourite book, as in, my favourite physical object that also happens to be a book, is a super rare edition (I'm told) of the Chronicles of Narnia. Gold edged pages, very "old" looking. My mum bought if for me for my 12th (?) birthday.

It even has a story attached. She bought it and then went out to lunch with a friend, and left it on the chair. Tried for ages to locate it, but couldn't. She had her heart set on buying it for me so she went and begged whoever found it for her to get her another one.

I don't even know if its actually rare or whether she just said that to a gullible 12 year old version of me. Don't really mind, I don't think - Sits atop my dresser. I want to give it to my kids.

Chronicles of Narnia would have to be up there for the actual question too ;)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 11:19:06 pm »
Such a good series - Also a hallmark of my adolescence!  :o

I can't think of the answer to the actual question right now, so I'm going to spin it. My favourite book, as in, my favourite physical object that also happens to be a book, is a super rare edition (I'm told) of the Chronicles of Narnia. Gold edged pages, very "old" looking. My mum bought if for me for my 12th (?) birthday.

It even has a story attached. She bought it and then went out to lunch with a friend, and left it on the chair. Tried for ages to locate it, but couldn't. She had her heart set on buying it for me so she went and begged whoever found it for her to get her another one.

I don't even know if its actually rare or whether she just said that to a gullible 12 year old version of me. Don't really mind, I don't think - Sits atop my dresser. I want to give it to my kids.

Chronicles of Narnia would have to be up there for the actual question too ;)
Yes! Chronicles of Narnia is a classic! Also have some good memories with my edition of that book. I remember when I was in primary school, I got an award and usually when you get an award, there's a book voucher attached to that. I was so excited to use it I ended up purchasing the whole series of the Chronicles of Narnia- you know those books where they compile the whole series in one book? It was a massive book that I brought to school everyday. My only complaint was that C.S. Lewis changed Susan's character as she got older- I loved Susan because she was so badass! Then she got into makeup and all that feminine stuff and I was kinda disappointed.

I loved the movies as well! Prince Caspian was probably my favourite movie, and then Voyage of the Dawn Treader kinda went downhill.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 07:41:59 am »
Hmmm... WAY to many to pick from.

But if I must, it'll be a book from my primary years :D.

"I want to go home", by Gordon Korman.
It's the funniest book I've ever read, and in fact, Korman is my full time favourite author.
Don't Read this

Basically, Rudy Miller is forced to go to camp, where he participates in nothing. When he is FORCED to participate, it turns out that he is a sporting prodigy. The outright refusal to play sport makes his hut counselor nearly mad, and Rudy is always escaping from Camp, so an altogether entertaining read.
End Note: He never wanted to get away, but did it for the mental battle of wits kind of thing
Literally anything by Gordon Korman I love.

He writes the Everest and Island Trilogies, Bruno and Boots, Swindler, etc... along with a couple of awesome singles (No coins please) and part of the Cahill kids episodes... (39 Clues).

A great Author of primary kids books, that will stay with you forever. :D

Mod edit: fixed spoiler :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:44:06 am by insanipi »
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 09:03:00 am »
Hmmm... WAY to many to pick from.

But if I must, it'll be a book from my primary years :D.

"I want to go home", by Gordon Korman.
It's the funniest book I've ever read, and in fact, Korman is my full time favourite author.
Don't Read this

Basically, Rudy Miller is forced to go to camp, where he participates in nothing. When he is FORCED to participate, it turns out that he is a sporting prodigy. The outright refusal to play sport makes his hut counselor nearly mad, and Rudy is always escaping from Camp, so an altogether entertaining read.
End Note: He never wanted to get away, but did it for the mental battle of wits kind of thing
Literally anything by Gordon Korman I love.

He writes the Everest and Island Trilogies, Bruno and Boots, Swindler, etc... along with a couple of awesome singles (No coins please) and part of the Cahill kids episodes... (39 Clues).

A great Author of primary kids books, that will stay with you forever. :D

Mod edit: fixed spoiler :D
Yesss, I loved the Island trilogy

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 02:23:29 pm »
+1
Yesss, I loved the Island trilogy
The chicken was gonna die anyway... What does it matter if I Babe-Ruthed it...

:D
Carpe Vinum

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 02:38:45 pm »
+1
The chicken was gonna die anyway... What does it matter if I Babe-Ruthed it...
And everyone in the same room as you wonders why you are serenely reading then suddenly snort out your nose in laughter

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 12:29:50 am »
And everyone in the same room as you wonders why you are serenely reading then suddenly snort out your nose in laughter
Haha..

Good old GK... have you read the 39 clues books by him? Really, really young adult,  but nvm.
Carpe Vinum

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 10:06:03 am »
Haha..

Good old GK... have you read the 39 clues books by him? Really, really young adult,  but nvm.
Nope not yet  :D Is it worth the read?