Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 08:49:44 am

Author Topic: What subjects to do...  (Read 2253 times)

aadharmg

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
What subjects to do...
« on: June 25, 2017, 12:06:21 pm »
Hi so I am currently in Year 11 and am doing Bio, Chem, Physics, Std English, Legal Studies and accelerated 2u and 3u maths. I was thinking if it is worth continuing legal studies in my hsc year considering i will be taking 4u maths (to try), like will I be overworking or maybe doing legal as a lost cause considering that the sciences and maths are my strongest subjects so it might not even be considered...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 05:35:45 pm by aadharmg »

bearbear

• Adventurer
Re: What subjects to do...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 03:53:56 pm »
+1
Hi so I am currently in Year 11 and am doing Bio, Chem, Physics, Std English, Legal Studies and accelerated 2u and 3u maths. I was thinking if it is worth continuing legal studies in my hsc year considering i will be taking 4u maths (to try), like will I be overworking or maybe doing legal as a lost cause considering that the sciences and maths are my strongest subjects so it might not even be considered...
Hi, if Legal Studies is something that help you with a uni degree then I would say it's a good idea to continue doing it but if it's not related to a degree you want to do and it's your weakest subject then it may not be worth continuing it.

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 09:35:14 pm »

Have you considered what you'll be doing at Uni?

I also sat Accellerated 2U and am taking 4u and Legal studies.

It seems that you have a real knack for Maths/Science based subjects and I assume you'll pursue a similar career after school. Legal may help but it's an entire subject you have to do.

How are your marks in each of the subjects?

Heavy Things :(

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 02:22:52 am »
Hello,
I've always had the mentality of choosing subjects you enjoy and know you'll succeed in, regardless of scaling.
These are the subjects that will motivate you during the HSC year.

As for you, right now, you seem to have pretty solid subjects:
Just make sure that the one subject you drop is the one you're least comfortable with, and know will bomb.

Other suggestions:
Since you're doing the accelerated course for Mathematics, I'm assuming you're going for 4u Maths.
This can be good if you really like maths, because 4u can either be a breeze or it can cost you a lot of time when you should be studying for other subjects.

Good luck with next year!!

JeffChiang

• Forum Regular
  • TAFE=employment+money UNI=broke AF
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 01:47:29 pm »
Hello,
4U Maths is very hard and challenging. At my school, around half of the students who got in dropped out including some who get 100% in most 2U and 3U tests because it's too time consuming or just too hard. So, I would hold onto all your subjects until you complete the first 4U assessment and see how you go. If you are really struggling or hate Legal, by all means drop it at that stage. Because once you drop a subject you can't pick it back up and if you screw up another then you can't do anything about it.
Procrastination is a never ending revolution that will always end in procrastination

B A C K  B E F O R E  Y R 1 2

un-helpful advice

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 01:30:47 pm »

Normally my posts are much longer than this but I have one question so ill make this short and sweet. Why are you doing legal? Also 4U maths is a very intense course. If you invest the time however and possess the talent (which I am sure you do) you will reap the rewards.
What are you planning to do after school? Does legal studies help you get there? Or are you just treating it as a backstop?

seventeenboi

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 09:32:34 am »
hi there :)
i would personally recommend you take a step back and look at how you've approached legal studies in the past year.. did you enjoy going to class? did you look forward to going to class? was completing assessments/assignments tedious, did you keep putting them off because you didn't want to do it? do you approach it with the same passion you do as your sciences??
I was in a similar position as you in Year 11, I did 3u maths 3u eng, phys chem and society and culture (soco) and HELLLLLL i just couldn't force myself to look at soco as i did with science (great subject, i enjoyed the content HEAPS but i just realised that humanities subjects weren't for me)... I would eagerly attempt chem questions for homework, but when it came to writing paragraphs for soco for homework questions i just had to force myself for the sake of doing it

now i've dropped it as well as 3u english and am pursuing more STEM-y subjects and i love it!!!

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 08:24:13 pm »
If you're doing well in Legal Studies + enjoy the content, consider keeping it because you'll definitely be more motivated to study for a subject that you enjoy. I also recommend taking a look at the HSC syllabus for Legal Studies and seeing if the sections you'll be studying interests you!
At the beginning of Year 12, I took on 4U Maths and eventually dropped it midway through the term. Despite enjoying the content and the new concepts, it was way too much for me and took up too much of my time since I wasn't spending a good amount of time studying for my other subjects. So definitely also consider whether you'll be able to handle another unit too.

Good luck (:
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."