Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 02:46:31 pm

Author Topic: Counting to 20 and other unlikely adventures  (Read 12861 times)

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
Counting to 20 and other unlikely adventures
« on: February 16, 2019, 11:35:46 am »
+27
Howdy partner and welcome to my VCE journey journal!
what a great title that I totally came up with

Now Settle settle. I understand your overwhelming excitement upon reading these words – honestly I wouldn’t expect anything else – I just ask that you save the autograph and photo requests till afterwards.

Now... Who is this handsome man you man ask?
Well I am Erutepa a.k.a ‘the count’ a.k.a ‘super Cool kid ‘ (except maybe not so much that last one). I started on here around halfway through last year, but only really became consistently active until around about the end of October. I am usually lurking around the highly intellectual count to 20 thread where I probably spend too much time don’t spend enough time, or around the bio boards when questions want an answering.

Academically speaking (hi academically, my names Erutepa), I am a year 12 this year and am doing Method, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology and English in addition to having completed Biology last year. As you can see from this fairly focused subject platter, my passions are for that of the visual arts (haha, that is a joke – I love science).

So what next…
…sure, let's do some subject overviews, goals ‘n stuff

Subject overviews, goals ‘n stuff

Biology [completed]
Bio was (and still is) my favourite science subject and I just loved all of it completely. I'm not sure what I actually wanted to achieve going into the subject, other than to enjoy it and get decent marks. I didn’t really know how any of the study score stuff worked and didn’t really think about the end of year exam - I just mainly focused on the subject knowledge itself.
Anyways…  I ended up with a pretty good result (a 44 raw) but, more importantly, developed a stronger love for science as well as gaining a better understanding about how to better approach my 3/4 subjects this year.

Methods
I would like to say that I am fairly decent at methods. It’s not my best subject, but I seem to get along with it pretty well – a ‘sometimes each lunch together, but not like BFFs’ kind of thing. As such, I Just plan to do the work and think I will get a decent mark at the end of it all, but I won't peruse it with the same passion as some of my science subjects.
The teacher that I have this year is the same I have had for the last two years as well as in year 8 (so this makes it my 4th year of math with them). I guess this could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it, but I think they are a good teacher and we seem to get along well. (fun story break: every time she leaves the classroom to get something from her office, without fail, she will whisper to me (and only me) that she is leaving).

Chemistry + Physics
I put these two subjects together mainly because I feel the same way about them and because this is my journal and I will do what I want (fyte me). I love both chemistry and physics with quite a passion (not as much a bio though). While I  think they are a good challenge for my abilities, I still think I can get fairly high study scores in both of them.
My chem teacher is very nice and extremely supportive of our class. She has already told me that I am going to get over 44 in chem this year and i'll take her word for it. My physics teacher is brand new to our school which did caused me a bit of worry when I first heard, but now that I have had a few classes, I feel much more comfortable.

English
English is no doubt my most stressful subject this year mainly cause I think many of the skills within the subject don't come quite as naturally to me as do those of science subjects (Plus I h8 writing essays). Nonetheless, I still enjoy analysing texts and put the effort in to get decent results.
This year's English teacher I have had previously in year 8 and 9, and we get along quite well. She is focuses her class around class discussion (which is something that I like), but most importantly she is a fantastic baker of desserts (which she brings in after SACS and exams).

Outside of school
This year I do not want to drop everything for my VCE subjects if I can help it, and would love to continue doing activities outside of school as well as working for dat cash money. Currently I do quote a bit of running as well as work a few shifts per week as a swim teacher for little people. This equates to about 3 hours of stuff  after school on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays as well as most of Saturday afternoon  and Sunday morning. While this certainly could be more hectic, I think my schedule is pretty full and finding time for procrastination is getting much harder (techno you may have to help me with this one). We will see how this balancing act goes and I may need to cut back on some running (although would never stop it) to make more time if necessary.

What you've missed
So this was the conclusion of week three of school for me. We started on the 31st and had a short first week which wasn't much more than the teacher giving us extra time to complete holiday homework. Cause I am a good boy ;D and did all of my work over the holidays, I was able to get a little bit ahead on work.

For English over these first few weeks we jumped straight into preparing for our first SAC which is the creative response. We are basing our work of that of the Australian poet Peter Skrzynecki. So this meant analysing his work, then jumping onto our planning and drafting. I completed my final draft yesterday, with the final piece due this coming Friday.

In maths, chem and physics we just kept on working through content. For physics we completed circular motion and projectile motion; for chemistry we complete fuels; for maths we did basic function stuff.

Have you noticed how I dont''' realy,' know how;;; to use grammar yet() or spel too safe me Lyfe

In psych we worked pretty intensively over course commencement on the topic of stress, so that upon returning this year, it was pretty much just revision for the stress SAC which I did this Monday just gone. I think I smashed it (not literally though - I'm not a destructive person) and am happy with how I did it, I now just need to be  wait for results to be returned to shatter my hopes and dreams. We have since begun working on the brain n'stuff
And now you are pretty much up to date... Yay!

Sorry the start of this journal is so belated - I was putting posting it off for a while (most of this was written last month... Yikes :/)

I shall hope to update you at least once before the end of the year, but that's a big promise to make and one I'm not sure I am capable of keeping ;D

Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: Counting to 20 and other unlikely adventures
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 11:39:53 am »
+11
I was wondering when you'd make a journal! Gotta say, that's a heck of an introductory post! :)
So keen to read more! ^-^
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 01:34:10 pm »
+10
Swiggity swooty, I smashed that like button a little too hard. So excited to see your progress this year, and hope it all goes well! (but seriously, mad respect for your organisational skills so far. Cannot wait to see what's in store for you!)

We are basing our work of that of the Australian poet Peter Skrzynecki.
>.>
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 02:01:30 pm »
+9
yikes
‘super Cool kid ‘
highly intellectual

didnt know you could type that much

have a great yr 12 my dear <3
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 02:03:54 pm »
+6
yikes
didnt know you could type that much
I didn't type that, I got one of assistants to do that. I'm not even typing this

have a great yr 12 my dear <3

I am not a dear, more an antelope

Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 03:32:37 pm »
+6
Love the title you went with & great choice of subjects  - can't wait to see how your year unfolds

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 05:05:54 pm »
+5
Swiggity swooty, I smashed that like button a little too hard. So excited to see your progress this year, and hope it all goes well! (but seriously, mad respect for your organisational skills so far. Cannot wait to see what's in store for you!)
 >.>
Swiggity swooty back, and thanks for the mad respect.
Make sure you apologise to that like button

Love the title you went with & great choice of subjects  - can't wait to see how your year unfolds
I was wondering when you'd make a journal! Gotta say, that's a heck of an introductory post! :)
So keen to read more! ^-^
Thanks guys!

I'll be sure to try and update this (hopefully) at the end of each week.

Erutepa Out!
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 05:07:20 pm »
+2
Dude, this is a pretty awesome (& entertaining!) VCE journal. Congrats on the 44 Bio score, that's a great start!

What are you shooting for, ATAR wise?
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 07:19:00 pm »
+5
Dude, this is a pretty awesome (& entertaining!) VCE journal. Congrats on the 44 Bio score, that's a great start!

What are you shooting for, ATAR wise?
I am against guns in general, so I won't be shooting for anything. ;D
I am hoping to go into a bachelor of science in the future times (hey that would have been a good thing to put in the first post, dummie) so the actual ATAR requirements are nothing insane and I feel pretty confident that I will get that (touch wood). I'm really just going to try my hardest, whilst still enjoying it all, and see what the highest ATAR I can get is (high 90's would be welcome).

Also, thanks for the compliments on the VCE journey journal - It makes me happy to know that people find my stupidity funny.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 11:41:33 pm »
If you're stupid, I don't want to know what that makes me  :-[
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 06:39:23 pm »
+10
Da weekend (16th and 17th of Feb)
Didn't do much, or if I did, I can't remember it.
Good summary!

Monday 18th of Feb
Mondays are my busiest days with my schedule consisting of double psychology, double chem and then single maths and English. Only got about 5 hours sleep the previous night, so it made the day go by extra smoothly!
In psych we covered neurotransmission across the synapse which I enjoyed very much so (very biology related content). Our psych teacher tries to make our homework as fun as possible so it was my task to either write + perform a song about neurotransmission, or draw some art. Since I am a natural-born artist with mad drawing skilz, I chose to do the latter (unfortunately it is submitted to my teacher and you will have to just trust me when I say it may be the single finest work of art to come from of a human hand).
In Chem we did redox reactions and textbook questions - honestly thrilling stuff - and In maths we did transformations. To fish the school day, English consisted pretty much of just continuing to write our creative SAC due this Friday.
After school I had a brain-melting shift at work which meant afterwards I didn't really feel into doing homework. Nonetheless, I managed to do a bit of math and physics (at like 12 at night....) but would have liked to do more.

Tuesday 19th of Feb
Rolling into the day with another 5 hours sleep, I actually felt pretty good considering. We started off with double physics and went over the theory of elastic potential energy and followed it up nicely with a little play around with springs and weights, making a nice force-extension graph. Out my three springs which I named Alecs, clairance, and Bryan, Clairance gave the best force extension graph.
We then had a double period which In which I am convinced that time collapsed cause it went by so fast. After time fixed up its whole thing, we had math and a test (which I totally remembered we were doing) on "cordnate geormty" as was its title. Anywho, I was the only one to finish the test which was massively surprising.
After school I had to organise my life by filling in a bunch of forms and paperwork (woo hoo!) and then quickly did a bit of chemistry for my Practical SAC I had today (on Wednesday). I then left in the to go do some running around in circles fastly for the rest of the evening. Got back at aboot 11 and went sleepies almost right away.

Wednesday 20th of Feb
I woke up feeling so exhausted and needing at least an extra day of sleep but downed some coffee and was ready to run through a wall (disclaimer: no walls were hurt in the making of this journal). At school, I jumped into English where we did a language analysis essay under test conditions (apparently we will be doing one of these every couple weeks or so). I did pretty horridly since I was out of practice, but I guess that's something to improve on. We actually did good old calmer café from last year’s exams.
Then I hoped into chemistry and did the SAC where be burnt some fuels n stuff and wrote stuff about burning some fuels n stuff. I think I did well on the SAC, but alas I think I may lose marks for the messiness of one of my graphs ;(.
At lunch I found some bread and ate it, followed by a period of psychology where we all held hands and timed the classes reflexes (that was pretty much it haha).
Finishing a period early, I went off to do some chores around town and returned home to eat some fish fingers and custard while watching Dr. Who. I am now sitting down and writing this. And writing this. And writing this.
After finishing writing this, I will get cracking with the homework (hopefully finishing my creative English piece for Friday and getting to do some physics and maybe maths)

I know I said that I would probably update this once per week, but I wanted to procrastinate and I chose to do something vaguely useful ;D
As always, enjoy the spelling mistakes and bad grammer,
Me
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 03:08:29 pm by Erutepa »
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 07:31:33 pm »
+8
I am loooving this journal so far. Its really genuine. Keep it up (but not too much!) also please sleep more thanks :)
... went off to do some chores around town and returned home to eat some fish fingers and custard while watching Dr. Who.

HAHAHAHA
I saved that video btw
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 11:01:03 pm »
+14
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Here's another entry
Zip zap zoo
#obviously_a_poet

Thursday 21st of Feb
Had math first up where got back our tests on "cordnate geormty" and I got da top mark in da class - honestly don't understand how, but I'll take it (not sure where to tho). My only mistakes were minor maths errors like deciding to chuck in a negative sign somewhere or forgetting how to add to simple numbers. After getting our tests back we just continued with book work, however ended spending most of my time myself trying to explain to half the class this one question on the test that was a bit tricky.

We then jumped into physics and, after apologising for the accident (which was totally physics fault - it shouldn't have been standing where I was jumping) got into doing some questions on energy calculations (spring potential, kinetic and gravitational potential). I had a few brainmelts with some questions, but got through everything in the end.

By the time psych came around, I was feeling very very tired. We covered content of unconscious and conscious actions and went into answering questions. I'm fairly sure most of the class was spent staring at a worksheet and watching the words do a little dance for me. Need more sleep.

Went off to do some more stuff n' things after school (namely running)
When I got home I pumped coffee into my blood and was ready to work. I had a unfortunate amount of my creative SAC (which was due on the Friday) left to complete, so that is what I focused on.

Friday 22nd of Feb
Why past me didn't finish that English I don't know, but I certainly hated him 4 it. I ended up having to complete my English in my free periods on Friday morning, which were originally reserved for sleeping. Oh well...
At school I had chemistry where we did a little test on redox reactions (I think I done gone goofed it up) and in physics we continued with work on energy calculations.
In my double English we got time to revise out creative pieces, and so I sat down and changed about 3 words and called it a day.
After all that Jazz, I went to work and then spent the evening doing who knows what (I certainly don't)

Saturday the 23rd
Gotten tired of writing, so this one is a drawing

I'd say its pretty clear how my day went

Sunday the 24th
Pretty relaxed day. Had work, then hung about at home doing bits and pieces of homework and other stuff.

Monday the 25th
Today was a pretty good day. Had Psych first up where we dove into Parkinson's Disease. I find Neurodegenerative disorders quite fascinating, so I found that class most interesting.  At the end of the class we got out SAC results back from the stress SAC from a few weeks ago. I got 2nd in the class with a 94%, So I'm pretty happy with that.
Moving into chemistry class, we also got SAC results back, and this time I got 3rd in the class with a 93%, so also happy. Apart from that, we went over the theory for galvanic cells and what not (which I thought was pretty interesting).
In maths we continued working on transformations, and in English we discussed values and views which were contained within the book Frankenstein.
At the end of class I found a balloon. That was probably the highlight of my day.
So off to work I went, returning to eat some curry and do a little bit of math homework, but mostly just relax cause work got me very tired.

So here we are again, all caught up...
Until other things happen, and then this will be out of date again.

P.S. I am very tired, so i'm saying with a fair degree of certainty that the quality of this entry went downhill quickly to a state of potential incoherency.

P.P.S I now am the proud owner of a fez
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 05:42:05 pm »
+2
Nice work on "da top mark in da class"! Haha.

P.S. Just want you to know that this part genuinely made me chuckle:

We then jumped into physics and, after apologising for the accident...

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 08:05:45 pm »
+4
I'm glad you now own a fez! :D

This also made me chuckle a bit too:
We then jumped into physics and, after apologising for the accident...

Well done on "da top mark" in the class too, I'm sure it was well deserved! :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!