Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 08:27:39 pm

Author Topic: Jimmy's VCE Journal  (Read 16791 times)

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
Re: Jimmy's VCE Journal
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 11:54:27 pm »
+9
You know when they say a week is a long time in football? Well, the past week (or nine days I suppose) has brought some interesting developments, and has felt like an eternity to be honest.

Last Thursday I pretty much had an epiphany and realised I wasn't comfortable continuing German, not because I didn't like it, but the worry of being assessed on it overcame me. I'd already showed interest in Global Politics and had spoken to the teacher on many occasions, so I jumped straight into it and am gradually catching up on the work I missed, but feel pretty confident going forward with it. So since I haven't got a goal for it, here it is;

Global Politics: I entered it at the last possible moment, with minor background knowledge and a keen interest but not much more. Anything over a 35 raw will mean I'm content with the switch, as I wasn't going to do much better scaled-wise in the other option. However, after looking over the Exam and textbook in general, I reckon this could be one of my better subjects. 40 raw is probably my optimist score.

The work this week has been...a lot. I probably spent 4-5 hours at a desk from Monday to Friday this week outside of class, and don't really feel at all ahead so that's a minor worry. A heap of Methods chapters to catch up on, although the theory all makes sense which is good. Philosophy has been really dense, so many questions from the textbook to answer! Over 70, pretty intense but I'm almost done there and it's due Tuesday.  They're probably the big ones of note that I'm 'worried' about, the rest is about on track.

Our first Legal SAC is Wednesday week, and I'm sorta looking forward to it. Hoping to smash it and get off to a good start.

2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 12:40:19 pm »
+4
So I was trying to study yesterday but there was a big party going on next door with loud music until like 11:30 last night, and I hate studying past that time so I just called it a night.

Wake up this morning, did a bit of study mid-morning and the music is back on again.  :-\
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 05:34:12 pm »
+3
Been a pretty cool week, met with the Junior School Captains to do a bit of intra-leadership planning of some events so that was great. Have been slowly catching up on Methods, notes are organised but I haven't started my bound reference yet so I really should get to it, but I honestly don't really know where to start. I've gotten 128 page books with binder holes as I've heard they're useful if you want to connect one workbook with another.

The Legal SAC is this Wednesday, almost finished theory, made Quizlets and definition banks and am doing some practice questions tonight.

Probably a busy night ahead though, Global Pol & EngLang need some notes to be written up  :-X

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 07:46:45 pm »
Any events you're particularly interested in?

How are you finding taking notes as a study method?

Good luck for the SAC :)

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 10:09:09 pm »
+2
Any events you're particularly interested in?

How are you finding taking notes as a study method?

Good luck for the SAC :)
Hey miniturtle!

I'm actually School Captain this year, so I'm pretty keen to initiate a bunch of ideas at the school that are new, or have been brought back from previous years alongside my other leadership team members. Soo many great ideas, but namely some fundraising, starting some student led study groups among some increased extra-curricular stuff around the school. It's only early in the year, but the signs are good.  :)

I love taking notes, but it's something I wish I was quicker at doing.  :-X Online is quick for me, but my teachers love handwritten stuff so it sorta puts me in a difficult position. Just need to hurry, I guess. Hopefully I'll be done by the weekend and be able to do a practice SAC or two for Legal.

Thanks!

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 11:10:54 am »
+1
Sorry for the extended delay for an update, All! I have reasons, I promise.  :'(

So a few weeks back (starting Sunday 24th); I got really ill so I missed pretty much a week of school, including my Legal SAC ...and a heap of work, as you could imagine. I got back last Monday, and followed up with an English Language SAC on the Wednesday and then my Legal alternate later that day. Safe to say, it's been a week of madly rushing to try catch up. I don't think either went too badly, but considering the state of mind I was in I won't be sure until I get the results back.

My first Philosophy SAC is this Wednesday, and then Global Politics on Friday. Relatively unprepared for both after missing that much school, but I'm doing my best to claw it back today (yay public holidays!) and tomorrow. I'm also out coaching Year 7 Sports on Wednesday, so I'll technically have the day to keep my mind off school things and when I get back to school, I'll be able to do my SAC relatively fresh (hopefully!).

The workload is really annoying me, because it's taking me out of my good patterns from last year. Back in Year 11, I'd handwrite notes and then redo with thorough summaries on tech, but trying to keep up and revise whilst doing that has been a serious struggle. Other than Legal, where I've maintained that, my other subjects have been either writing full notes and making brief revision summaries on tech (EngLang) or writing revision summaries and using technology to analyse/evaluate/type more detailed notes (Philosophy, Global Pol). I'll eventually type up my EngLang stuff, because it's mostly just theory and metalanguage but the Philosophy & GP stuff I think I'm just gonna have to rely on scribbles on paper and being as quick as possible on my computer to make detailed notes, then put them into revision sources such as Quizlet and do practice questions.

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 12:36:14 pm »
+4
Update!

I got my Legal & EngLang results back, and I was really happy with them! Both put me near the top of my cohort thus far, and I was particularly surprised with EngLang, a really tough SAC that I managed to figure out by the looks of it.

Global Pol.1A went pretty solid, A+ but I made some really silly mistakes to lose the marks I did, nonetheless considering I just picked it up I'm pretty happy. Philosophy was worse, well down on last year's performance and I'm just not enjoying this area of study right now. Mid-Cohort in that after SAC1A.

I got sick again last week, missing a few days which is so frustrating. Methods on Tuesday, EngLang 1B on Wednesday & Philosophy on Friday is this week's schedule. Trying to claw back the missed work, feeling great for Methods as I was ready to do it last week before getting sick and am now feeling almost normal for the first time in a while, EngLang & Philosophy is today's job.  :-X

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 05:11:41 pm »
Update!

I got my Legal & EngLang results back, and I was really happy with them! Both put me near the top of my cohort thus far, and I was particularly surprised with EngLang, a really tough SAC that I managed to figure out by the looks of it.

Global Pol.1A went pretty solid, A+ but I made some really silly mistakes to lose the marks I did, nonetheless considering I just picked it up I'm pretty happy. Philosophy was worse, well down on last year's performance and I'm just not enjoying this area of study right now. Mid-Cohort in that after SAC1A.

I got sick again last week, missing a few days which is so frustrating. Methods on Tuesday, EngLang 1B on Wednesday & Philosophy on Friday is this week's schedule. Trying to claw back the missed work, feeling great for Methods as I was ready to do it last week before getting sick and am now feeling almost normal for the first time in a while, EngLang & Philosophy is today's job.  :-X

Nice one! What made the EngLang SAC so tough?

Sounds like you're smashing it.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2019, 12:01:01 am »
+1
Nice one! What made the EngLang SAC so tough?

Sounds like you're smashing it.
The text was a transcript from a radio morning breakfast show which was a touch confusing in terms of outlining functions, changes in attitude throughout etc. and some of the concepts we needed to discuss (ie. face needs, semantic use of non-fluency features, topic management etc.) didn't go too well for a lot of us. I think I got a little bit lucky with that one in all honesty, especially considering the amount of class I missed.

I won't give a thorough update now since it's almost midnight here, but since I've been up for the last 4 hours chatting philosophy with a mate to revise for tomorrow's SAC, I thought I'd pop in here and say hi. As a little precursor, it's fair to say this week's SACs have seen the good and the ugly, let's hope tomorrow is the second coming of good.

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
  • Respect: +73
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2019, 10:19:13 am »
The text was a transcript from a radio morning breakfast show which was a touch confusing in terms of outlining functions, changes in attitude throughout etc. and some of the concepts we needed to discuss (ie. face needs, semantic use of non-fluency features, topic management etc.) didn't go too well for a lot of us. I think I got a little bit lucky with that one in all honesty, especially considering the amount of class I missed.

I won't give a thorough update now since it's almost midnight here, but since I've been up for the last 4 hours chatting philosophy with a mate to revise for tomorrow's SAC, I thought I'd pop in here and say hi. As a little precursor, it's fair to say this week's SACs have seen the good and the ugly, let's hope tomorrow is the second coming of good.

Stopping by to wish you luck for the SAC today! Hopefully you're able to get some better rest tonight. Take care of yourself!
(Also, on my screen apparently I upvoted your post so hard I downvoted it twice, and I am so sorry, I don't even know HOW I broke it that badly-)
VCE
Panicking.

2018: Media 1/2
2019: Psychology 1/2, Biology 1/2, Literature 1/2, Chemistry 1/2
2020: Biology 3/4, Literature 3/4, Chemistry 3/4, Math Methods 1/2
2021: Math Methods 3/4, HHD 3/4, Psychology 3/4
2022: Absolutely Nothing
2023: Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Monash)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2019, 12:33:12 pm »
+2
(Also, on my screen apparently I upvoted your post so hard I downvoted it twice, and I am so sorry, I don't even know HOW I broke it that badly-)

Not your fault! This is a really weird glitch that happens from time to time. We've looked into it and can't really work it out yet! I can re-store the upvotes to what they should be. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2019, 05:22:13 pm »
+4
Stopping by to wish you luck for the SAC today! Hopefully you're able to get some better rest tonight. Take care of yourself!
Thanks cat, and seriously don't worry about it. In summary of last week; EngLang: Good, Methods: Ugly, Philosophy: Ok-Good. I got Global Politics 1B back and got a  B+ for the essay, apparently it was just small things but it will drop my rank a little I'd imagine.

EngLang was great, I was able to outline the AC really well and got a solid 3 pages down. Methods was awful, I had a mini panic attack midway through the Tech-Free and missed like 5 marks because I somehow lost all memory of the theory  :-[ still managed a C overall and no resit, so I guess reset and reload for our next one which isn't for a while anyway. Philosophy on Friday went solid, I did rush my essay a bit but got 2 and a half pages down when I honestly thought I was gonna run out of time. I was just glad my week from hell was over tbh.

The weekend has comprised of full on Legal study, all the theory pretty much done so hoping to get some practice questions done tonight. The SAC is Wednesday, so I'm just leaving my other subjects for a few days to put everything into this. I've got the whole holidays to make up the rest. I've also got some leadership & debating commitments this week too, alongside trivia on Friday against the teachers so I'm psyched up for that!

How are we all going?

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2019, 11:20:55 pm »
+6
My ATARNotes Summary Course Notes + Topic Tests arrived today! I'm so happy, all my subjects included except Philosophy thanks to the new inclusion of Global Pol. Weird thing is we're doing Australia as our Asia-Pacific state, so some of the China based stuff isn't entirely applicable but useful nonetheless.  :)

Studying for my Legal SAC has been rough though, I'm so stressed because everyone did so well last time and although I'm Rank 1, I'm only a slip away from falling way back.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2019, 05:54:47 am »
Hopefully having a strong legal cohort can help you prepare for and do well on the exam - and rankings don't matter as much if a bunch of you ace the exam :)

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2019, 09:56:01 am »
Hopefully having a strong legal cohort can help you prepare for and do well on the exam - and rankings don't matter as much if a bunch of you ace the exam :)
Hopefully, but there's not many in our cohort that are overly confident as it is so that might be a bit of a stretch.  :-\