Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 04:11:02 pm

Author Topic: (Star) Trekking My Way to Space - Olivia's Uni Journal  (Read 10033 times)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
(Star) Trekking My Way to Space - Olivia's Uni Journal
« on: January 08, 2019, 07:48:56 pm »
+23
Hey guys,

I'm here with another journal. I made one during my HSC and one during my 3 month break so I decided to make one for uni so I can sit here and ramble just to get stuff off my chest. If you couldn't tell from my horribly amazing Star Trek pun in the title, I'm studying Aerospace Engineering at UNSW, and I'm freaking excited to start.

Why Aerospace Engineering?
I know right! It is a narrow field of engineering. Long story short, I actually fell in love with physics back when I was in primary school. I would steal my sister's science textbooks and read it for fun. Yep, you read it right. For fun. (Now that I look back, it's actually kinda sad lmao) I even bought two Stephen Hawking books. Did I understand it? Not really, but it didn't stop me from reading it. Fast forward into junior school, I knew I wanted to go into engineering because it was the perfect place for me to use physics, but I didn't know which field. It wasn't until my math tutor told me one day that engineers still don't know how flight works. I was really confused. How can we still not know how flight works even though it plays a significant role in our daily lives? And that was what motivated me to go into aerospace engineering. I started reading a whole bunch of stuff on Bernoulli vs Newton's theories on flight and even bought a physics textbook. Ever since then, I knew I wanted to do aerospace engineering. It's been a long journey, especially since I didn't really perform well in maths and physics during high school (although I did perform much better in physics than math but my HSC results say otherwise). But it didn't stop me from doing aerospace engineering so now I'm here!

Why UNSW?
For a while, I actually considered USyd as well since they offered a space engineering program as well. However, their ATAR was 99. Technically, you could still do space engineering if you don't get the 99 ATAR. You end up doing mechanical engineering for a year and then you can change to do space engineering but you don't really get as much opportunities as those who got the 99 ATAR straight up (i.e. they're exposed to more challenging projects). I don't really like that kind of approach. To me, it's like their separating the students who survived high school into an elite group. This was part of the reason why I wanted to go to UNSW. Another reason was because I had a different math tutor back in Year 8 and she was bantering with another math tutor who was a USyd student, and she was like to me "Fun fact: UNSW started of as an engineering school." That intrigued me. Ever since then, I researched a lot about UNSW. I even went to Open Day in Year 9 and spoke to an aeronautical engineering student. Plus, UNSW has a really big engineering department. I was also unimpressed with the engineering department at USyd. When I went to the USyd Open Day, I was shocked that the Engineering block was an old, bricked building tucked away from the pretty law buildings and near the car park. I mean, isn't engineering all about innovation? So why haven't they updated the engineering building? Anyway, it really solidified my decision to go to UNSW. I just had to make sure I got the marks to get to UNSW.

Here are the units I'll be taking this term:
MATH1131
PHYS1121
ENGG1000

I've also attached my timetable here. It's a bit annoying that I have to go to uni everyday (and also annoying that it says there's a clash, though this issue is already solved) but hopefully my timetable get's a bit better next term.

I'm really nervous to start uni (especially over my maths and physics skills) but I am looking forward to uni! (Watch my chipper attitude change in two weeks lmao)

See you soon!

- Olivia
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: (Star) Trekking My Way to Space - Olivia's Uni Journal
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 08:11:23 pm »
+5
Yay!! Super excited to see you’ve started a new journal Olivia :-) Looking forward to reading your updates and I hope you have lots of fun in uni! ☺️
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 10:03:21 pm »
+5
Yay! So happy to finally see you in the uni journey journal board!!
I'm a keen bean to read your updates and all your adventures at uni !!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 11:35:22 pm »
+17
Hey guys,

I know uni hasn't officially started and it's only O-week but stressed me has already started preparation for uni. Here I am being like "Yeah I love physics and engineering" and then I get emails about my assumed knowledge for math and that sets me off into stress-mode. At moments like this, I always ask myself if engineering is the right choice. I don't know. I knew I wanted to go into engineering for so long that I can't see myself doing anything else. And honestly, I miss the time where I actually had fun with math and get excited when I finally understand something new. I feel like high school has just drained my enjoyment in math (it doesn't help that we had a very toxic environment either). It's been hard to ignore these emails because when I get stuck with a question (as I'm preparing for uni), I start to question my capabilities in math which stresses me out even more.

So here's my plan: throughout the week, I've been going through the Student Support Scheme work sheets. The 3U topics I placed aside and the more doable topics I've been completing so I can brush up on my math and get into my "math zone" (I've been doing a lot of writing in the past month and gosh I miss doing math). With the 3U topics, since I need a bit more depth in their explanations rather than a summary, I'll take a look at how the algebra/calculus course notes have explained the topics. If I can understand it, I'll try the questions from those notes/homework booklet (plus, it also gives me a head start in homework for Week 1). If not, I re-downloaded my 3U math textbook so I'll revisit those chapters. Is this too much for me to complete in two days while still jet-lagged and recovering from a cold? Maybe. But at this rate, I'm so stressed over my math capabilities I can't walk into Week 1 unprepared.

Anyway, hope I actually complete these tasks.

See you soon!

- Olivia
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 08:29:08 am »
+3
Hey,

Just would like to pop in and say good luck with uni this year :)
take care xx
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 11:36:24 am »
Hey,

Just would like to pop in and say good luck with uni this year :)
take care xx

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 02:10:34 pm »
Woot woot! Super excited to read this  ;D ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 11:58:57 pm »
Hi! I'm excited to read your journal.
I know nothing about mathematics requirements for engineering OR how HSC mathematics work so I am no help, sorry, but I really hope you can get the hang of things. It sounds like you're committed to the task so I'm sure you're putting yourself in the best position to succeed :)
On another note, seeing as its O week, have you had any fun events/opportunities to attend? How's the atmosphere at UNSW?
Best of luck for your uni journey!!
2018 - VCE - ATAR: 99.75 [English, Chemistry, Methods, French, PE, Bio]
2019 - Monash

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 11:49:31 am »
+6
Hi! I'm excited to read your journal.
I know nothing about mathematics requirements for engineering OR how HSC mathematics work so I am no help, sorry, but I really hope you can get the hang of things. It sounds like you're committed to the task so I'm sure you're putting yourself in the best position to succeed :)
On another note, seeing as its O week, have you had any fun events/opportunities to attend? How's the atmosphere at UNSW?
Best of luck for your uni journey!!
Well, I used O week as the opportunity to get my Student ID card and sign up to a couple of societies/clubs. I wish I went to the Faculty of Engineering Welcome or the Women in Engineering Brunch but I didn't want to exhaust myself (I was recovering from a cold ;-;). As for the atmosphere, I feel like they were pretty welcoming, especially to the first year students (I got a lot of flyers promoting free food for the first year students lol).

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 10:01:00 pm »
+14
Hey guys,

So today was my first day of uni and I'm so exhausted. I slept on the train because I was so tired. I was a bit nervous of getting lost but I ended up finding the lecture theatre (thanks blasonduo haha). And I did happen to make some friends. I was able to hang out with them and eat lunch with them, so it was great that I wasn't just gonna be in the lecture theatres alone. As for the actual lectures, oh boy. What I didn't realise was that we would have two lectures, one per hour. I thought we'd be doing straight up algebra or straight up calculus. My algebra lecturer was pretty chill and he had a good story time to teaching ratio (and I was shocked he had a Twitch account). On the other hand, my calculus lecturer was a bit difficult to understand. He had a strong French accent so it was a bit difficult to understand, yet at the same time he would do his working out without really explaining why he did it so I was confused.

As for physics, I forgot that it was only a 1 hour lecture and it went fast. My lecturer went through deriving formulas and explaining graphs really fast I could barely keep up. Even my friends and the girls sitting beside me were lost as well. I mean, it's cool that he does the demonstration straight away so we could see the formulas and graphs come to life but it's a bit difficult to understand when everything is going so fast -_- So yeah, I really need to consolidate on what we did today. Meanwhile in engineering, it was kinda boring. Like, it was interesting to hear them explain why the Opal Tower didn't work well (lol) but most of the time they were just explaining the 12 different projects. I joined Project ARDET where we need to make a vehicle that can deliver supplies in uneven terrain. I initially thought of doing Project DELTA but I kinda liked the more humanitarian side of mechanical engineering. But yeah, apart from that I was trying not to fall asleep because it kinda dragged on and got boring.

Anyways, I really should spend the rest of the night consolidating my notes.

See you soon!

- Olivia

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 10:29:53 pm »
+2
Really glad it went well for your first day Olivia!! We should grab lunch one day we are both on campus ;D best of luck with your project for ENGG!!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 10:36:58 pm »
+1
Really glad it went well for your first day Olivia!! We should grab lunch one day we are both on campus ;D best of luck with your project for ENGG!!
"Well" might be a bit of stretch haha but my first day wasn't too bad :) And definitely a big yes for lunch!

I hope I get to be in a group where people will do their part because I'm clueless when it comes to computing or constructing (I'm great at reports, research and project management though so hopefully it becomes useful). Out of curiosity, which project did you do?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 10:51:41 pm »
+3
"Well" might be a bit of stretch haha but my first day wasn't too bad :) And definitely a big yes for lunch!

I hope I get to be in a group where people will do their part because I'm clueless when it comes to computing or constructing (I'm great at reports, research and project management though so hopefully it becomes useful). Out of curiosity, which project did you do?

It sounds like the projects have changed since I did it, but I did the project for the Electrical faculty. It was a self driving car, which would navigate an obstacle course using sensors. Our final product barely did anything but move in a straight line. We thought it stopped at one of the traffic lights as expected - But it had just prematurely died ;)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 11:11:26 pm »
+13
Hey guys,

So the first week of uni has passed and I'm already exhausted. I don't think going to uni for 5 days straight really helps so I just end up sleeping on the train on my way to uni and kinda trying to stay awake on the bus. As for the actual uni, I had my first math tute on Wednesday, and yay for another teacher with a strong European accent. Well, his Russian accent isn't as bad as the French guy (though my inner Modern self is giggling because of the amount of Communist/Slav memes I've seen/liked on Insta) but he's a bit difficult to communicate with. Like, we were going through limits to infinity and one of the guys suggested to divide by the highest power of x but then the tutor assumed that he was saying polynomial division so the guy ended up giving up trying to explain it. And it also doesn't help that he singled out the people who only did 2U math (a.k.a this other guy and myself). He looked at both of us and said "This course will be a bit difficult for you so I want you to ask as many questions." Anyway, I made another friend in the tute (since my friend was in a different tute class). The annoying thing though is that I had a 4 hour gap between my physics lecture and the math tute so I just sat in the library on those uncomfortable stool chairs trying to revise for physics.

Speaking of physics, I had my first problem solving workshop today. It was really confusing, mostly because the tutor didn't really use a microphone so no one could hear him. On top of that, he goes through this really fast (just like in the physics lecture) so my table and I were just sitting there lost. I mean, we tried to do our best by following the worksheet but we ended up asking the student assistant a couple of times so we could make sure we were doing something right. And again, my friend wasn't in the same class as me but I managed to get by and made more friends. At the moment with physics, I'm at the stage where I kinda get what's happening but then I get lost because the lecturer goes through everything really fast. Looks like I'll be spending the weekend revising calculus and mechanics.

Anyway, I should actually finish my maths quiz.

See you soon!

- Olivia

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 08:26:07 am »
+4
Congratulations on 1000 posts!! :)

Sounds like everything is a but hectic atm. I'm not sure if this helps, but I found that as I went through the year I got better at using public transport time effectively, being confident in labs etc. once you get through this unit of maths you should be on a level playing field with everyone, right? I found maths to be my most challenging subject but also the one I learnt the most in - I hope it's similarly rewarding for you :)

Good luck!