Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:42:29 am

Author Topic: What does success mean to you?  (Read 872 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
What does success mean to you?
« on: April 25, 2019, 06:24:13 pm »
So it's all well and good to set goals, but how do you define if you succeeded or not? I suppose I'm mainly asking about academic success, but it could also extend to any life-improving goal.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
Re: What does success mean to you?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 11:08:25 pm »
+4
So it's all well and good to set goals, but how do you define if you succeeded or not? I suppose I'm mainly asking about academic success, but it could also extend to any life-improving goal.

Hey, hope your going swell!!!

I’m doing the HSC this year,  but I will like to try and answer this, as it is applicable to everyone.
I feel that success is consistency. Doing something everyday with a lightweight to moderate intensity is so so much better than one day with a blistering intensity. To say the least, by going through this method the results will take care of itself. I guess success in my terms is just reaching a holistic understanding of knowledge within all my subjects as well. I guess that is my definition of success, and I am trying to remind myself of this everyday. I feel that by following this method, academic success would follow.

So if I have just (a) studied well continuously for a period of time!, (b) reached a holistic understanding of the course I am studying and (c) have become interested in my subjects, then I have definitely succeeded. I am trying not to focus on marks and academic success, but rather just gain interest in my subject. When you are 80 yrs old, you will be significantly detached from your marks, but hopefully you will remember a time in your life when you actively participated and gained a ferocious passion for a particular subject!

I guess those three points are my definition of success. I love writing these kinds of responses, as the act of writing brings clarity and perspective to my life. Would love to see the other responses in this thread!
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

Remy33

• Forum Regular
  • I don't like food, I love it.
  • Respect: +53
Re: What does success mean to you?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 02:27:05 pm »
+2
Hey there JR! (can I call you that? hehe)

To me, the main 'measures' of success for me is independence - being able to rely on yourself and also keep yourself accountable. In the academic realm, independence for me means setting my own goals and pursuing what I'm interested in, and most important of all, achieving my goals because of my hard work and not because of external affirmative action. I'm having a hard time embracing the concept of SEAS lol. This doesn't mean I'm not willing to ask for help when needed, but rather I want to be able to choose for myself what sort of help I need.

This would also apply beyond high school - for example, when I'm out hunting for a job in the future, I want to be hired because I am capable and not because my employer wants equal representation of minorities in the workforce. Speaking of jobs and employment, success to me would also mean financial independence from others, most of all the government.

Finally I think success can also be measured by whether or not you can help others achieve independence. While I don't think it's a responsibility that successful people must help those less fortunate, I reckon those who don't probably have rather questionable morals.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 02:29:01 pm by Remy33 »
<  VCE  2018 – 2019  >
Portuguese  42  |   Russian  35  |  Chinese  36  |  English  50   |  Global Politics  46  |  Methods  41
99.40 ATAR

<  Monash  2020 – 2023   >
B Global Studies  Int'l Relations  |  B Commerce  Economics