Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:37:20 pm

Author Topic: "I think" - AngelWings' University Journal  (Read 21760 times)

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
"I think" - AngelWings' University Journal
« on: November 27, 2017, 05:28:21 pm »
+20
After a long time of hesitating and replying to others’ journals, I've decided to start a journal myself. I suppose I should begin by introducing myself then.
Introduction
You've probably seen me around the forums of AN, especially if you wander through the VCE Further Maths, VCE Japanese or University sections. I post enough to believe that I spend a substantial amount of my spare time on here; as of this post, I’ve apparently clocked a little more than 24.5 days on here, though I doubt that that’s accurate.
I study a Bachelor of Science, majoring in genetics, with some more science and Japanese units sprinkled here and there. Outside of university, I worked two jobs in my second and third years.

As I begin this, I'm waiting upon my results, which will determine whether I have completed my degree and/or whether 2018 will see me doing my dream of Honours. Either way, my academic journey is certainly not over yet.
"What's with the title?"
Three reasons:
1. I'm a genetics major with a preference for ecological, evolutionary and population genetics.
2. It's a nod to Charles Darwin and his 'tree of life' (a phylogenetic tree, an image depicting how living things are connected). He and Gregor Mendel are considered to be two of the forefathers of genetics/ evolutionary biology, but puns get rather corny when you're trying to allude to Mendel and his pea plants.   
3. Everything that ever was discovered started off with similar thoughts. This is a collection of thoughts. Logic! 

"This is another science-oriented journal?"
You don't have to read this. Sure it's another one, but I'm hoping to leave the space open as a Q & A type thread as well as a university journal. Also, I feel like there are very few journals right now detailing the tail end of a degree right now. (It's also to encourage me to go back and revisit genetics during these holidays, so it's really a win-win situation. ::) )

What to expect
This will hopefully document anything that is related to university from my life. Depending on how much I can say, because confidentiality and what not, I might be more detailed or less. There'll likely be a section detailing what I do outside of university, because not everyone is enthusiastic about biology. I don't know how regular or sporadic I’ll be, but I can guarantee that the more you guys ask me questions and respond, the more likely I'll keep going. We'll see.
For now, if you have any questions about me or what I do, feel free to leave them on this thread and I’ll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Date: 27th November 2017
It's supposed to be the holidays, but I've been allocated some reading. After two weeks of getting little to nothing complete, I figured that if I'm not motivated enough today, it's never going to be done. So, here I am trying to keep tabs of me actually doing something, because I can't trust myself. Sorry if that means watching me ramble. Hope you guys find it captivating enough for the few minutes you spent eyeballing this thread for what it is.

I hope to start some light revision by reading a few articles and reviewing some maths, as my population genetics modelling skills are rather lacklustre. This would involve reviewing how to 'code', at least some maths and, of course, a working knowledge of genetics. I urgently need to revisit Taylor series – a maths topic I haven’t touched in many months. If anyone can reteach me that and how to switch from limits to infinite series, you guys would be a lifesaver!

Outside of uni, I have no idea what topic to write on for the article for AN! I haven't forgotten, but I just haven't really pinpointed a particular topic and I'm super indecisive! Any ideas from the audience? It'd be highly appreciated. My only preference would be to discuss something that hasn't already been discussed before. 
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: "I think" - AngelWings' University Journal
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 05:33:47 pm »
+2
glad to see this journal  :D :D

What would you say are your favourite monash units, one from each level 1, 2 and 3.

I’ve apparently clocked a little more than 24.5 days on here, though I doubt that that’s accurate.
rookie numbers  ;D

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 05:37:49 pm »
+3
I've been waiting for this journal for so long haha - stoked to see you join the gang. :D :D :D

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 06:16:56 pm »
+3
First of all welcome and here's the induction package.

As for your ATARNotes article, how about a reflection on finishing an undergrad (I don't think there is an article on it, J41 can confirm this). I'm sure you can teach future JAFFYs and those in them a thing or two.

I do however look forward to your future entries and future stories you may have for us :P
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 07:02:33 pm »
+5
What would you say are your favourite monash units, one from each level 1, 2 and 3.
Spoiler
Level 1: Probably going to go with CHM1022 (Chemistry II). Pretty solid unit, with the exception of some minor details.
Level 2: May have to go with ATS2143 (Japanese Intermediate I), despite doing it in my first sem at uni. I could actually enjoy learning the language and culture, without it feeling overly rushed. (Proficient. *cough*)
Level 3: BIO3011 (Research Methods in Biology). Obvious choice, especially once you have seen my review for it.

Sounds weird that not many biology units are listed there, but in reality, those units tended to be 2nd or 3rd places. It's a nice diverse range, methinks!
Not included in the list, but still honourable mentions to BIO1011 and BIO1022 (first year biology), because I didn't do biology in the latter half of high school and am indebted to it for helping me play catch up.

rookie numbers  ;D
Hey, I can't beat the royalty of AN. You guys are just that good! ;) *bows down to Sine and all mods*

A few quotes + thank yous
I've been waiting for this journal for so long haha - stoked to see you join the gang. :D :D :D
glad to see this journal  :D :D
First of all welcome and here's the induction package.
I do however look forward to your future entries and future stories you may have for us :P
Thanks for the support! :D
I hope to share some more entries and stories in the future! Hopefully they're better than my current one. :)

As for your ATARNotes article, how about a reflection on finishing an undergrad (I don't think there is an article on it, J41 can confirm this). I'm sure you can teach future JAFFYs and those in them a thing or two.
Sounds like a plan, Zofromuxo! Thanks so much for the idea! 
VTAC Info Thread

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 07:32:16 pm »
+1
I'm so stoked to see this journal! <3
What initially piqued your interest about biology?
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 10:57:00 pm »
+1
glad to see this journal, I look forward to reading it as we have similar interests :) good luck with it all!!

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 11:40:09 pm »
+4
I'm so stoked to see this journal! <3
What initially piqued your interest about biology?
Yay! <3
Spoiler
Ooh, hard question. Funnily enough, it wasn't always this way.
Biology didn't quite jump out at me initially. I wasn't good at it (still am not) and it wasn't exactly something that super interested me in early high school; I didn't do it in late high school. I decided to come back to it in university as I felt I wanted a fresh start and give it a second chance, as well as being unable to fit it in during VCE. I wound up inspired by the lecturers' research, while others were upset that they'd gone on a tangent. I strongly believe it's also because I hate closing doors to potential opportunities and I realised how diverse the field of biology really is in general. Nowadays, I like biology for its ability to be applicable to any living thing and how you can't escape it - it's what you literally part of who you are! (Of course, my preferences will always come back to genetics.)

If I had to be specific though, there are two main reasons I can roughly pinpoint:
1. I am constantly curious about the world like a two-year-old. A lot of the questions I ask in my mind are fundamentally what biology is all about.
2. I took a forensic science elective back in high school. I was - and probably still am - a bit of a murder mystery novel fan. Subsequently, I went on to not just enjoy it, but also top the class. Majority of what that discussed was biology, namely genetics - my introduction was through Punnett squares. (That shines through when you see that I posted this relevant post at 2:11am because I basically forgot about the time.)
glad to see this journal, I look forward to reading it as we have similar interests :) good luck with it all!!
Thanks! :) Hopefully this'll be interesting for you.

Date: 29th November 2017 (It'll be brief for a while.)
Yesterday was a rest day. I spent it out and about to enjoy the weather. 

In more uni-related news, I failed to start the genetics reading, but I wound up reading the first page of the preface to Darwin's Origin of Species, reviewed some maths and how to 'code' a couple of simple loops. Not exactly procrastination, if you actually did some of what you were meant to, but did something not allocated for that day. (I wonder how many of us on AN are productive procrastinators?) Anyway, so I wound up restarting the clock for about the sixteenth time and doing some of it today, amongst the true procrastination I did today. I'll admit more procrastination occurred than actual revision. 

Still need help with Taylor series. The internet seems to make less sense every time I look at it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:26:00 am by AngelWings »
VTAC Info Thread

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 07:50:41 pm »
+4
Date: 1st December 2017
Going to sound a little selfish today (and break my streak of not double posting).

I'm feeling a little anxious about my results, probably because they're within the next fortnight now.
Here's a couple of dates, so you guys can stay informed:
- December 4: Monash Results Release. There's also the early SMS service, but I'd rather not know until I have to.
- December 15: Honours offers are allocated (for Biological Sciences, which genetics is under at Monash)

Chances are actually looking good for Honours. I received a major assessment mark worth more than half of my grade for my research unit and did fairly well on it. Luckily, I've been able to occupy my time with other things, as to avoid thinking about it, so it's not become an issue. 

I did note that December 15 is the day of ATAR release and the date that is listed is supposed to be the final day Honours offers are given, so I'm hoping for my own sake that I receive one much earlier. That way, I can help support the Year 12s on their achievements without my own worries clouding my mind. :)

Random tangent: I've realised that, even before uni, my favourite day of the week has always been Sunday, because it's always been the only day I could sleep in. Is this the same to many of the university-level ANers here? What about the high school students/ recently graduated Year 12s? Does it change between primary, high school and university? If so, why do you think that is?
VTAC Info Thread

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 08:06:45 pm »
Random tangent: I've realised that, even before uni, my favourite day of the week has always been Sunday, because it's always been the only day I could sleep in. Is this the same to many of the university-level ANers here?
Hmm, I would say I prefer Saturdays during semester, because it's like, a relatively stress-free day, minus the fact that I usually have to work (although, I don't mind it, and it's doing physio-related stuff so it's interesting). On Sundays, I spend the whole time regretting not doing any work and dreading the coming week of uni haha. During the holidays, I don't really mind, but I guess weekends are still good because I can do stuff with family and friends who work during the week.

I think I was reasonably impartial in high school in the matter of Saturday vs Sunday, but potentially preferred Sundays because that was the day I played soccer.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 08:07:54 pm »
- December 4: Monash Results Release. There's also the early SMS service, but I'd rather not know until I have to.
I feel this on many levels. although it is getting me very anxious, I'd rather not have to know them until it is absolutely necessary too. :)

Random tangent: I've realised that, even before uni, my favourite day of the week has always been Sunday, because it's always been the only day I could sleep in. Is this the same to many of the university-level ANers here? What about the high school students/ recently graduated Year 12s? Does it change between primary, high school and university? If so, why do you think that is?
When I was younger, Sundays used to be early starts for me, but I'm super glad that I can sleep in all I want on Sundays now. Definitely my favourite day of my week now, as opposed to Saturdays with my younger brother's athletics starting at 8:15 in the morning! :P
(However, I really like sleep regardless, so I attempt to sleep in as much as I can (or as much as my younger siblings will let me haha. :P ) during the week as well- with varying success. :) Do you feel this, yourself, AngelWings?)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 08:36:05 pm »
+1
I feel this on many levels. although it is getting me very anxious, I'd rather not have to know them until it is absolutely necessary too. :)
-snip-
(However, I really like sleep regardless, so I attempt to sleep in as much as I can (or as much as my younger siblings will let me haha. :P ) during the week as well- with varying success. :) Do you feel this, yourself, AngelWings?)
Glad to know we're on the same page! Saturdays have always been busy, so I've always had to be up early. Similar to you, I try to get as much sleep in as much as I can as well, however, it's my tendency to overthink and periods of minor insomnia that sometimes bust those dreams. I've tried clearing the mind in various ways, which has helped before, but sometimes you just can't help it. :P   
VTAC Info Thread

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 09:13:33 pm »
Hmmm... I'm going with Monday. Its like a fresh, new start to the week.
I forget about the past transgression from the previous week and just go about my life.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 01:21:51 pm »
+6
Hmmm... I'm going with Monday. Its like a fresh, new start to the week.
I forget about the past transgression from the previous week and just go about my life.
Nice point!

Date: December 4th 2017
Two words. Results release.

I received an email with my marks on it at 11am, but I haven’t looked at it yet. Oddly enough, a good portion of the nerves have vanished, so I’m taking that peace of mind as a positive sign. It might sound like I’m super wound up on grades, however, the only reason I care is because I’m not great at what I do, but I have a lot of interest/ passion and intend to take it to higher levels, which have grade requirements. Before this semester, my grades were literally borderline. I have back up plans if I can’t get into Honours and I’ll be applying for them, no matter my grades. Currently Plan B is to study Masters.

Aside, I’ve finally got the two genetics books I need to revise waiting on the hold shelf after requesting one a month ago and the other last Friday; any revision I’ve done has been using old electronic copies, which have changed significantly between editions. I picked up the two books I had on reserve and went home again to check my results.

Was expecting a few passes and credits. Last semester, I worked myself to the ground (particularly during exams) and destroyed my health. Missed my goals by such a small margin that I figured it wasn't worth the same risk again, so I took this semester's exams easier. 

To my surprise, I was greeted with relatively higher results than those and, after comparison against my other semesters, it's been my best semester yet! I've ended on a high note. Thank goodness! (You can probably hear my relief.) I won't post my results on here, because I'd prefer them to remain private, but it's good enough that I've got results that calculate to be well over the requirements I need. (Really proud that using the Honours calculations, my average increased by 10! Incredibly satisfied in the improvement considering where I was in 2016 - I may save that story for another time.)

This also means that I'm officially done and dusted and I could graduate, if I so wished. Instead, I'll wait for my Honours offer - if/ when it comes - to determine whether I'll actually be showing up or not. I just need to wait to see if/ when that offer arrives.

Hopefully it's only onwards and upwards from here on out!  ;D

This entry got a little messy. Whoops. As always, if you have questions, feel free to ask. I don't bite. :)             
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:37:06 pm by AngelWings »
VTAC Info Thread

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 06:13:53 pm »
+3
Date: December 11th 2017
Another double post.

It's been a busy weekend. Most of it hasn't been as a result of uni, but from work, family and life in general. It always happens the one moment you want peace and quiet. It keeps you occupied though, so I'm not upset about it. (Fun fact: I'm naturally a pessimist and I try as hard as possible to be an optimist.) Besides the uni stuff, I've just finished with one of my two jobs for the year on Friday and the other one won't finish until the 23rd.           

I wound up unintentionally revising Japanese and Chinese the other day, by sitting down to watch a film. The film was entirely spoken in Japanese and the subtitles were in Chinese and Japanese. Understood most of it with not that many issues, despite having 5 years' break between them, so I still got it. :) Multilingual life is awesome. I find it harder to revise languages properly but they sort of sneak up on you when you least want them to - I believe this to be a good thing.

On the uni front, I haven't received any word on Honours offers yet. I'm not too concerned, considering they said 15th December as the final day. My chances are looking up though; with my results from last week, I know that I've got every requirement and more. I've also worked with my intended supervisor before, so it should be good.

In terms of the two books, I'm already through the first section of the first chapter. Progress is happening, albeit slow as always. I'm planning to get through more of that tonight and possibly start the second book. I just hope I can finish these in time for next year.       
VTAC Info Thread