Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:27:43 am

Author Topic: Living from bubble tea to bubble tea - Gracie's HSC Journey  (Read 5711 times)

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
  • Respect: +44
+9
Hi everyone!
So I figured I'd jump on the bandwagon and make an HSC journey because why not find another source of procrastination :D
Here are some fun facts about me:
  • I am from Sydney but am a dual citizen (England yasss)
  • I am one of five children (2 bros and 2 sisters) and have a golden retriever (who is neither gold nor does she retrieve XD)
  • I excessively use the words 'yassss', 'queen', 'slay', 'yeet', 'shook', 'we stan' and 'omg' to the point they are my first suggested words on my phone keyboard
  • I am interested in studying Communications at UTS next year but am still unsure as I want a way to incorporate my languages into my degree but don't think international studies is for me (plus I love UTS atm and to my knowledge they don't have flexible double degrees D:)
  • I do love a good bubble tea but surprisingly, despite how much I advertise my obsession, I haven't had one in months *sh00k* (oh no here we go with my excessively used words ahhhhh)
  • I have a study account called @gracie_studies (bit of a weird flex i know XD) which makes me look x97331829 more organised and studious than I am haha but it's a good outlet and an opportunity to dabble in media before I choose to study comms

My subjects are:
Biology
English Advanced (texts are : Common : 1984, Mod A: King Richard III and Looking for Richard Mod B: T.S. Eliot Mod C: Margaret Atwood and Zadie Smith
French Continuers (accelerated last year and received 92)
French Extension
Italian Beginners
Legal Studies

Even though the degrees I'm aiming for don't necessarily require extremely high ATARs, my dream would to get one which is 98/99+. I wish I received a slightly higher French mark but I was sick on the day of the exam but I am still super super stoked with a band 6.

My goal atm is to get myself back on track with work and kick into gear. I have recently discovered the revolutionary power of the humble to do list and have found having a notebook dedicated to my to dos works like a charm :D

I intend to update this pretty regularly :D I hope everyone has a great week if I don't post before it finishes!

Gracie
HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
Re: Living from bubble tea to bubble tea - Gracie's HSC Journey
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 08:07:22 pm »
+3
Hi everyone!
So I figured I'd jump on the bandwagon and make an HSC journey because why not find another source of procrastination :D
  • I am one of five children (2 bros and 2 sisters) and have a golden retriever (who is neither gold nor does she retrieve XD)
  • I excessively use the words 'yassss', 'queen', 'slay', 'yeet', 'shook', 'we stan' and 'omg' to the point they are my first suggested words on my phone keyboard
  • I am interested in studying Communications at UTS next year but am still unsure as I want a way to incorporate my languages into my degree but don't think international studies is for me (plus I love UTS atm and to my knowledge they don't have flexible double degrees D:)
  • I do love a good bubble tea but surprisingly, despite how much I advertise my obsession, I haven't had one in months *sh00k* (oh no here we go with my excessively used words ahhhhh)
  • I have a study account called @gracie_studies (bit of a weird flex i know XD) which makes me look x97331829 more organised and studious than I am haha but it's a good outlet and an opportunity to dabble in media before I choose to study comms

My subjects are:
Biology
English Advanced (texts are : Common : 1984, Mod A: King Richard III and Looking for Richard Mod B: T.S. Eliot Mod C: Margaret Atwood and Zadie Smith
French Extension
Italian Beginners
Legal Studies

Even though the degrees I'm aiming for don't necessarily require extremely high ATARs, my dream would to get one which is 98/99+. I wish I received a slightly higher French mark but I was sick on the day of the exam but I am still super super stoked with a band 6.

My goal atm is to get myself back on track with work and kick into gear. I have recently discovered the revolutionary power of the humble to do list and have found having a notebook dedicated to my to dos works like a charm :D

I intend to update this pretty regularly :D I hope everyone has a great week if I don't post before it finishes!

Gracie

Damn, you got an interesting set of subjects!! So glad you started this journal. Any hobbies or stuff like that?
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

Pearlmilktea

• Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 08:19:59 pm »
+5
Damn, you got an interesting set of subjects!! So glad you started this journal. Any hobbies or stuff like that?

Thank you so much! The subjects were a mix of wanting to do languages and then just picking whatever seemed kind of interesting haha.

Hobbies:
Scouring my YouTube recommended videos and watching strange but fascinating documentaries that I didn't know I wanted but definitely needed in my life XD Fave YouTube vids are 100% Ellen, Oprah's Where Are They Now, and those 10 minute documentaries on child prodigies, weird diseases or inspirational stories (my emotions do a 180 real fast and I will start sobbing one minute in ngl).

I also picked up the guitar for the first time in 6 years and it's super fun. I totallllly am not strumming the right way but hey I like to convince myself I am haha. Also on the music tangent, updating my spotify is a must. I pride myself on my lipsyncing ability so I take listening to songs seriously  ;)

Social basketball is another thing I picked up this term even though I'm so uncoordinated. In bball trials I did the jump up thing at the beginning where both teams have one player try and hit the ball to their side. Anyway it hit me in the face and I had been on the court for less than one minute. Luckily it when straight from my face to my hand so we gained possession in the end hahaha

But yes that's all for me. I also dabble in calligraphy and artsy stuff which is what my insta is for :D Sometimes I do some volunteering but less regularly now due to Yr 12.

How about you? Do you have any hobbies ? :D
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 08:57:52 pm »
+3
Butting in purely because of your journal title - what exactly is bubble tea? I've never had it before and don't really understand the hype around it haha

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 09:23:28 pm »
+3
Hi! Such a cool mix of subjects you have there :-))

In regards to studying languages at uni, you can take them as electives or minor (or maybe have it as a double major?) in them :-) idk how it works at UTS but that’s something you can look into I guess!

My question to you: if you were to continue learning languages at the tertiary level, would you learn a new one or continue the one(s) you’re learning at school?
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

PeriPeri101

• Trailblazer
  • dramatic at heart
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 09:40:34 pm »
+2
Hi everyone!

My subjects are:
Biology
French Extension
Italian Beginners
Legal Studies

Gracie

wow super cool set of subjects this year! nice to hear that to do lists are working out for you. I checked out your insta page and it looks great; how good is grid paper for writing notes and not just maths? All the best !
subjects - year 12 2020: Biology - Society and Culture - Drama - Advanced Mathematics - Advanced English - Studies of Religion

Pearlmilktea

• Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 09:51:57 pm »
+2
Butting in purely because of your journal title - what exactly is bubble tea? I've never had it before and don't really understand the hype around it haha

Haha yep I totally understand. There is such a large hype around it which I sometimes don't even get myself :D

Basically a super simple bubble tea would be tea + bubbles which are actually balls of jelly.

It's become so much bigger in recent years so now you can add in mix ins like different flavoured jelly or sugar syrups. It's legit packed to the brim with sugar haha If you look at the milk teas, they're basically condensed milk and black tea.

I recommend you try it sometime ! Try something like a milk tea or fruit tea if you want to be a bit fancy (I'm not even that adventurous haha). Tell me what you think!

Hi! Such a cool mix of subjects you have there :-))

In regards to studying languages at uni, you can take them as electives or minor (or maybe have it as a double major?) in them :-) idk how it works at UTS but that’s something you can look into I guess!

My question to you: if you were to continue learning languages at the tertiary level, would you learn a new one or continue the one(s) you’re learning at school?

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm still looking around but I'll definitely consider that when I research degrees!

I'm not sure if I'd start a new language. If I got more than one option, I 100% would pick up a new language. French has always been my OG and I still think it could be fairly useful so that would be one of my picks. I actually really wanted to do Japanese when I was in year 7 and the interest is still there. If I had a second option, I would consider it.

I see you are studying International Studies :D How do you find it?

wow super cool set of subjects this year! nice to hear that to do lists are working out for you. I checked out your insta page and it looks great; how good is grid paper for writing notes and not just maths? All the best !

Thank you so much! It really means a lot that you even checked out my page - you rock!

I am a strong advocate for grid paper haha especially judging I don't even do maths XD
Here are my top reasons why you should try grid paper:
-You can easily draw columns and boxes and they look super gorg
-You can space out info and use your vertical lines as a guide
-The centre of the page is much easier to find
-It seems kind of edgy haha jks jks - tbh my teachers know which piece of work is mine because I'm the only one to use grid lol
-Game changer for diagrams - do my diagrams still look slightly dodge? Yeah, absolutely. Is that because of the grid? No, rather it's because I'm too stubborn to draw them in pencil first and inevitably smudge my hand on the pen ink *sad reacts only*

I say try it out - you may find a new found love for it. Plus you can find templates online for free and print it to tryyyyy :)

Mod edit: post merge. You can quote multiple posts in one post! Just click "quote" after you've finished typing your response and it'll insert the next quote underneath :-)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:22:09 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 10:28:44 pm »
+1
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm still looking around but I'll definitely consider that when I research degrees!

I'm not sure if I'd start a new language. If I got more than one option, I 100% would pick up a new language. French has always been my OG and I still think it could be fairly useful so that would be one of my picks. I actually really wanted to do Japanese when I was in year 7 and the interest is still there. If I had a second option, I would consider it.

I see you are studying International Studies :D How do you find it?

Uni is an interesting place because there are so many things you can do, it's flexible to what you want to do :-) Take aaaaaaall the languages you want hahaha it's awesome!

I love International Studies! There are some things I don't like (compulsory courses lol) but other than that I think it's a great degree. At UNSW, they try to teach it in a way that is applicable to lots of different fields. It doesn't fail to interest me (except for research methods) and it's good for people who don't know what they want to do because the degree is suitable for lots of careers. Learning a language and going on exchange is compulsory which is super unique -- what courses do that? None except for International Studies because it's freaking awesome
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

PeriPeri101

• Trailblazer
  • dramatic at heart
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 10:31:18 pm »
+1

I am a strong advocate for grid paper haha especially judging I don't even do maths XD
Here are my top reasons why you should try grid paper:
-You can easily draw columns and boxes and they look super gorg
-You can space out info and use your vertical lines as a guide
-The centre of the page is much easier to find
-It seems kind of edgy haha jks jks - tbh my teachers know which piece of work is mine because I'm the only one to use grid lol
-Game changer for diagrams - do my diagrams still look slightly dodge? Yeah, absolutely. Is that because of the grid? No, rather it's because I'm too stubborn to draw them in pencil first and inevitably smudge my hand on the pen ink *sad reacts only*

ooohhh love it. I use this paper that has some grids but mostly lines, super good and it's from officeworks for real cheap. I like to do brush lettering with tombows in the headers as well.
subjects - year 12 2020: Biology - Society and Culture - Drama - Advanced Mathematics - Advanced English - Studies of Religion

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 11:48:59 pm »
+1
Thank you so much! The subjects were a mix of wanting to do languages and then just picking whatever seemed kind of interesting haha.

Hobbies:
Scouring my YouTube recommended videos and watching strange but fascinating documentaries that I didn't know I wanted but definitely needed in my life XD Fave YouTube vids are 100% Ellen, Oprah's Where Are They Now, and those 10 minute documentaries on child prodigies, weird diseases or inspirational stories (my emotions do a 180 real fast and I will start sobbing one minute in ngl).

I also picked up the guitar for the first time in 6 years and it's super fun. I totallllly am not strumming the right way but hey I like to convince myself I am haha. Also on the music tangent, updating my spotify is a must. I pride myself on my lipsyncing ability so I take listening to songs seriously  ;)

Social basketball is another thing I picked up this term even though I'm so uncoordinated. In bball trials I did the jump up thing at the beginning where both teams have one player try and hit the ball to their side. Anyway it hit me in the face and I had been on the court for less than one minute. Luckily it when straight from my face to my hand so we gained possession in the end hahaha

But yes that's all for me. I also dabble in calligraphy and artsy stuff which is what my insta is for :D Sometimes I do some volunteering but less regularly now due to Yr 12.

How about you? Do you have any hobbies ? :D

You got a wide range of hobbies! Doesn’t surprise me  ;D

I’m not super into it atm (yr12 and all that Jazz) but I used to be into filmmaking, photography and acting a lot. Used to watch a ton of movies and take tons of photos. Hope to pick it up soon after this year finishes.

I also like to watch the evening roll by and just think. I like to think a bit deeper, and most often it will be about the universe, the future... stuff like that. I love that.

How’s yr12 treating you so far?
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

fkeywood

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 06:44:14 am »
+1
Hi everyone!

My subjects are:
Biology
French Extension
Italian Beginners
Legal Studies

Gracie

I can’t believe you’re doing two languages well three is you count English. Respect! I would never be able to do that.

I know it’s probs unrelated but omg you have a golden retriever they are like the best dogs ever! But such goofballs 😂 I also have a golden he’s only two so he’s an idiot most of the times but so cute that even he’s stupidity makes up for it 😂 can’t catch a ball for the life of him and does return it either 😂

Anyways hope to see an update soon :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 09:49:18 am »
+1
I have recently discovered the revolutionary power of the humble to do list and have found having a notebook dedicated to my to dos works like a charm :D

YES! So underrated. ;D

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Pearlmilktea

• Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 09:39:35 pm »
+2
ooohhh love it. I use this paper that has some grids but mostly lines, super good and it's from officeworks for real cheap. I like to do brush lettering with tombows in the headers as well.

Oh my gosh we stan officeworks. My friend actually loves that paper so I need to check it out :) Tombows ftw though they're legit my life :)

You got a wide range of hobbies! Doesn’t surprise me  ;D

I’m not super into it atm (yr12 and all that Jazz) but I used to be into filmmaking, photography and acting a lot. Used to watch a ton of movies and take tons of photos. Hope to pick it up soon after this year finishes.

I also like to watch the evening roll by and just think. I like to think a bit deeper, and most often it will be about the universe, the future... stuff like that. I love that.

How’s yr12 treating you so far?

Oh my gosh, I'd love to get into photography and film! I actually had a brief stint with trying to do photography but sadly it didn't stick. It's definitely something I'd love to pick up. What pictures do you like to take?

Tbh I love year 12. Yeah it can be stressful but I'm really enjoying the social aspect. I'm ENFP which basically means I love socialising and people in general :). Fun fact I actually love hearing about other people's personality types. I feel it tells you a lot about someone and it's super interesting (obviously one shouldn't be restricted by it though). Do you know yours? If not, I'd recommend you look up 16 personalities and take the test!

How's your year 12 going?

I can’t believe you’re doing two languages well three is you count English. Respect! I would never be able to do that.

I know it’s probs unrelated but omg you have a golden retriever they are like the best dogs ever! But such goofballs 😂 I also have a golden he’s only two so he’s an idiot most of the times but so cute that even he’s stupidity makes up for it 😂 can’t catch a ball for the life of him and does return it either 😂

Anyways hope to see an update soon :)

Hahah thank you! We love counting English as a language (tbh it is probs the most difficult of the three because what a trek aye). Omg haha your golden retriever sounds adorable. I have to agree, even though mine doesn't retrieve, she is so incredibly sweet. What's your dog's name? Mine is a girl called Scout after the character in To Kill A Mockingbird :)

Uni is an interesting place because there are so many things you can do, it's flexible to what you want to do :-) Take aaaaaaall the languages you want hahaha it's awesome!

I love International Studies! There are some things I don't like (compulsory courses lol) but other than that I think it's a great degree. At UNSW, they try to teach it in a way that is applicable to lots of different fields. It doesn't fail to interest me (except for research methods) and it's good for people who don't know what they want to do because the degree is suitable for lots of careers. Learning a language and going on exchange is compulsory which is super unique -- what courses do that? None except for International Studies because it's freaking awesome

Wow that sounds great! I definitely love the openness of the degree and integration of languages. I definitely haven't closed myself off to doing it so we'll wait and see. Thanks for your help! 

YES! So underrated. ;D

I know right! Kind of annoyed it's taken me so long to realise it haha

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 04:44:04 pm »
+1
omg yay, super excited to see the rest of your hsc journal and ps: i love your journey journal title. from all the bubble tea fanatics, what are your go to bubble teas?
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

Pearlmilktea

• Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 04:59:31 pm »
omg yay, super excited to see the rest of your hsc journal and ps: i love your journey journal title. from all the bubble tea fanatics, what are your go to bubble teas?

Haha thank you queen! Oh no, you're going to be disappointed because I'm super basic. I love a good premium pearl milk tea *shivers*. Definitely not as exotic as some of the cool flavours I've heard but I'm definitely a creature of habit when it comes to food and drink orders. XD

How about you? Do you have a fave flavour?