Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:55:33 pm

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 596511 times)  Share 

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +287
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #345 on: February 14, 2011, 09:03:06 pm »
Oh what?! Our first SAC is being broken up into two parts - the first part is on Chapter 1 of the J&O textbook. We've only finished the first chapter as of yet.. so you're class seems to be ahead, since you're already on VLRC. First part of the SAC is tomorrow.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #346 on: February 14, 2011, 09:07:55 pm »
Oh what?! Our first SAC is being broken up into two parts - the first part is on Chapter 1 of the J&O textbook. We've only finished the first chapter as of yet.. so you're class seems to be ahead, since you're already on VLRC. First part of the SAC is tomorrow.

Interesting. Depends on the textbook; I think in J&O, Chapter 1 is the Parliamentary system. Good luck for tomorrow then; you probably won't need it though. Can't be too hard.  =]

EDIT: 1800th post.

Liuy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #347 on: February 14, 2011, 10:06:40 pm »
We're up to same point Werdna is.

Good luck for your SAC tomorrow man :)
'10: Chinese SLA [38]
'11: Legal Studies [50] | English [44] | Physical Education [41] | Psychology [31] + Methods
ATAR:97.85

'12: Monash University - Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #348 on: February 14, 2011, 10:20:56 pm »
How are you guys finding your teachers, and what are you up to? We haven't finished the first chapter yet (we use the purple book, Justice and outcomes i think), should i start going ahead?

Teacher is kinda useless, not that she doesn't know her stuff, or is lazy, but compared to my year 11 one (who is teaching the other yr.12 class) she's nothing..
The way my yr 11 teacher made us take down notes was so effective..
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #349 on: February 14, 2011, 10:33:50 pm »
I got the same teacher as I had last year; he's good. Explains things well and cracks the odd good joke. Can't you swap Legal Studies classes? We've got two Legal Studies 3/4 classes, taken by one teacher. At my school, students can request to change classes if need be - some swap classes because of the teacher. If your teacher "doesn't know her stuff", then you should go ahead; I don't see anything wrong with that.  =]

LeahT

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #350 on: February 15, 2011, 11:27:06 am »
Liking the class so far - I have a good teacher who seems to know her stuff. We just finished seperation of powers yesterday, not sure what we're doing next. We're splitting the first SAC in two, and doing the first half in the week of the 28th. So far I'm finding it really easy, kind of hoping for a challenge soon.
2010: Psychology [38] Further Maths [36]

2011: Legal Studies [38+] English [40+] Renaissance History [40+] Literature [36+]
Hoping for an ATAR of 90.

2012: Arts/Education or Arts/Law at Monash Clayton?

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #351 on: February 15, 2011, 04:06:37 pm »
I got the same teacher as I had last year; he's good. Explains things well and cracks the odd good joke. Can't you swap Legal Studies classes? We've got two Legal Studies 3/4 classes, taken by one teacher. At my school, students can request to change classes if need be - some swap classes because of the teacher. If your teacher "doesn't know her stuff", then you should go ahead; I don't see anything wrong with that.  =]
Yea, I was actually strongly considering it, as I wanted to change 3 of my classes,and thought - hey this could really work out.
But after examining other people's timetables, i will be sacrificing two good teachers (english and methods - can cope without methods teacher, but NOT english!)
So i guess i'll self-learn and copy notes from the people in the other class...
Sad story though
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #352 on: February 15, 2011, 04:46:52 pm »
We've just finished the legislative process of a bill through parliament. So aos1 is finished, and gonna have a "practice sac" next week so teacher can see how we write our answers and yeaah. Don't know when the real sac is though :|
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" -Plato

onur369

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #353 on: February 15, 2011, 07:35:11 pm »
Hi,

Any recent proposed law you guys can give information on? I need to research a proposed change in the law and discuss its reasons for change. I also have to research a group and the role it plays in pushing for that change.

Thanks in advance
2011:
Aims-
English 35, Further 45+, Methods 35, Physics 32, Turkish 33, Legal 28.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #354 on: February 15, 2011, 07:49:58 pm »
The change to legalise choosing the sex of your next child? Refer to this. "The couple are so desperate to have a girl, that they terminated having twin boys". Their case is being heard in VCAT soon. "According to Victoria's Assisted Reproductive Treatment Act 2008, sex selection is banned unless it is necessary for the child to be of a particular sex to avoid inheriting a genetic abnormality or genetic disease." - The couple are trying to change that law. Hope this helps.  =]

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #355 on: February 17, 2011, 03:50:28 pm »
Pleasee help :)

"Is the Crown just a figurehead in the Australian Parliamentary system or does it really serve a purpose? Provide two arguments to support your opinion."        [3 marks]
(Do we just mention the importance of royal assent and the other functions the GG carries out? or something else?)

"What factors limit the capacity of parliaments to change the law?"               [5 marks]
(For this, I was a little confused; do we mention the actual factors - such as time limits or lack of Govt.support/ or do we talk about weaknesses of parliament as a lawmaker? and because it's a 5 mark question, do we have to mention ALL factors, or just a few? :/)

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #356 on: February 17, 2011, 05:51:57 pm »
"What factors limit the capacity of parliaments to change the law?"               [5 marks]
(For this, I was a little confused; do we mention the actual factors - such as time limits or lack of Govt.support/ or do we talk about weaknesses of parliament as a lawmaker? and because it's a 5 mark question, do we have to mention ALL factors, or just a few? :/)

For this question, I assume you would just mention the actual factors; such as time constraints, the need for government support, desire to change the law, costs associated with changing the law and so on. Though it's a 5-mark question, I don't think you would need to actually list 5 factors; rather, just explain a little more detail about each factor (i.e. use 3 or 4 factors and then go into a bit more detail about each one). That should suffice I would think.

As for your first question; as you said I would mention other roles which the Governor-General plays. First and foremost, mention royal assent as well as talking about how the Governor-General can dissolve parliament and bring an election about; he/she can also end a session of parliament (with dissolution) and so on. Since it's a 3-mark question, I would list 3 functions/roles of the Governor-General.

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #357 on: February 17, 2011, 06:18:20 pm »
Thanks!! :):)

LeahT

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #358 on: February 18, 2011, 09:40:16 am »
Pleasee help :)

"Is the Crown just a figurehead in the Australian Parliamentary system or does it really serve a purpose? Provide two arguments to support your opinion."        [3 marks]
(Do we just mention the importance of royal assent and the other functions the GG carries out? or something else?)

"What factors limit the capacity of parliaments to change the law?"               [5 marks]

Another major factor I wouldn't fail to mention for the second question would be the actual make-up of the parliament. Who has the majority, if it's a minority government, a hostile senate, etc.
2010: Psychology [38] Further Maths [36]

2011: Legal Studies [38+] English [40+] Renaissance History [40+] Literature [36+]
Hoping for an ATAR of 90.

2012: Arts/Education or Arts/Law at Monash Clayton?

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #359 on: February 18, 2011, 09:14:26 pm »
Can someone clarify for me; we don't need to know about "problems in drafting legislation" for the first SAC? I've got a practice SAC on Monday and I'm not really sure whether to go over it or not. It doesn't mention it in the study design for "Outcome 1" anyhow. Can I assume I don't need to know it? Worth going over?  =\