Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 06:51:14 am

Author Topic: Gym thread (2019)  (Read 6851 times)  Share 

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Gym thread (2019)
« on: April 29, 2019, 08:54:22 pm »
+5
Hello! Just going to start a new gym thread. The last one was posted in 2015 but was hoping to bring it back.

What is everyone's gym routines and goals for 2019?
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Re: Gym thread (2019)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 08:59:51 pm »
+3
Hello! Just going to start a new gym thread. The last one was posted in 2015 but was hoping to bring it back.

What is everyone's gym routines and goals for 2019?
No gym routine yet but I've been seriously considering picking up some weights again.
At the moment I'm training a minimum of three or so times a week in my sport, and there's room to push that to 4 (probably the right number) or 5 times a week... Realistically, that should be my main goal and I shouldn't get too far ahead of myself. There is probalby not a lot of point lifting weights before I'm training 5 times a week, because if I have the physical bandwidth, that's what I should be doing...

Assuming that were the case though, I do miss the strength training, and I know my body is suboptimal as far as physical performance goes... some squats and pull ups twice a week wouldn't go astray, I think.

Are you going to gym actively at the moment, B?
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 09:12:25 pm »
+3
Last year I used to go to the gym everyday after school  (Yr 10)
legit I was pretty built from the waist up ( I skipped leg day  :'( )

than Yr 11 started and now I just can't seem to find the time in life anymore . . . the only physical activity I do now is tennis ( which aint really physical)

but lately I've been trying to get up at 5.30 am and hit the gym for around an hour before coming home/getting ready/breakfast/dog for walk/ school. . . this plan sort of worked but now that the weathers getting colder some mornings I don't feel like moving as the motivation level is looooow.

What part of the day do u guy usually hit the gym?
Did you go regularly in high school?
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 10:13:40 pm »
+3
No gym routine yet but I've been seriously considering picking up some weights again.
At the moment I'm training a minimum of three or so times a week in my sport, and there's room to push that to 4 (probably the right number) or 5 times a week... Realistically, that should be my main goal and I shouldn't get too far ahead of myself. There is probalby not a lot of point lifting weights before I'm training 5 times a week, because if I have the physical bandwidth, that's what I should be doing...

Assuming that were the case though, I do miss the strength training, and I know my body is suboptimal as far as physical performance goes... some squats and pull ups twice a week wouldn't go astray, I think.

What sports do you play and where do you play them?
Doing squats after a long period of no weight training actually burns at first aha but definitely worth it in the long run- never too late to start some strength training !! Let us know how you go when you start :)

Are you going to gym actively at the moment, B?

I was definitely alot more active before uni started- went 4-6 times a week. Now I only go 3 times a week since I'm too busy. I usually start with 10 minutes of cross trainer, 10 minutes of treadmill and then I either do weight training, some rowing or stair climbing. It depends how busy the gym is and which equipment/machines are available. Definitely would want to try and push to go 4-5 times a week whilst at uni.

I like strength training because at least I don't get super tired easily but I get so intimidated by everyone in the weights area that I only do weights once a week (Sunday nights is when the gym is very quiet)

Last year I used to go to the gym everyday after school  (Yr 10)
legit I was pretty built from the waist up ( I skipped leg day  :'( )

than Yr 11 started and now I just can't seem to find the time in life anymore . . . the only physical activity I do now is tennis ( which aint really physical)

but lately I've been trying to get up at 5.30 am and hit the gym for around an hour before coming home/getting ready/breakfast/dog for walk/ school. . . this plan sort of worked but now that the weathers getting colder some mornings I don't feel like moving as the motivation level is looooow.

Tennis still definitely counts as physical activity !!!

Since we're heading into winter, do you reckon going to the gym after school/at night might help? I used to go in the mornings as well but realised my energy levels were so low because a) I'm not a morning person and b) would prefer to sleep in ahaha. If you go to the gym after school, you can even perhaps bring someone with you and that could help with your motivation level.

What part of the day do u guy usually hit the gym?
Did you go regularly in high school?

I always go to the gym between 6pm to 9pm- I'm much more active at night. I did not go to the gym in high school just because I did not have money for it and I was very lazy back then. I did have badminton sessions with my friends every Sunday morning. Although the closer we got to our HSC exams, we stopped going. Huge mistake. I found myself performing better in assignments and exams when I did exercise.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 10:54:09 pm »
+1
Does uni count as a gym haha

But seriously though, the fact that the Basser Steps has 106 steps (according to WIESoc Trivia), it certainly does help my step count. I've kept the step count goal to be 6800 steps and each day I get around 7000-9000 steps, which is around 315 kcal (according to Samsung Health).

While everyone does joke that uni is such a hike, it's honestly a good daily workout.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 09:08:35 am »
+5

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sowhat

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 02:27:29 pm »
I never go to the gym.

I prefer going on long runs out in the open.
And just end up doing workouts at home.

But one day when I have a full time job I hope to use the gym a lot!

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 07:25:08 pm »
Used to go to gym but not anymore, I just walk everywhere :P
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 09:59:27 pm »
+1
Tennis still definitely counts as physical activity !!!

Since we're heading into winter, do you reckon going to the gym after school/at night might help? I used to go in the mornings as well but realised my energy levels were so low because a) I'm not a morning person and b) would prefer to sleep in ahaha. If you go to the gym after school, you can even perhaps bring someone with you and that could help with your motivation level.

Yeah I reckon going after school/night is better . . . sort of like a stress reliever at the end of the day I reckon.
and option b) I love sleeping in 😻.

Have started going after school on Mondays and Wednesday, although on Fridays I spend around 30 minutes warming up the muscles before tennis.

Also don't have anyone to go to gym with
All my friends don't have a membership and don't plan on getting one either  :'(
they prefer other things . . . . .so I just chuck on some bangers while 'gymming' 
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Gianni Farfaglia

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 10:46:29 pm »
+2
Recommend fitting in gym if you don't do any other sports or much other extracurricular activity where possible. I usually went to the gym 3-4 times a week during year 12 and found it to be great stress relief and a good way to avoid getting burnt out. Its good to have something where you're are able to set and work towards achieving goals outside of schoolwork and getting big along the way :) . Know it can be hard but if you can get a few friends to come with also helps with motivation and guilt not going.

All the best

masterhiya

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 11:26:04 pm »
+7
Perhaps to revive this thread, finally hit one plate bench as a working weight. After stopping going to the gym for the entirety of last year, I've slowly been working my way back up the strength these holidays. Hopefully I'll be at around 70-75kg for 5x5 by the time uni starts.

addieli

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2021, 08:05:10 pm »
I adore football, if you do too check this article out , it is just amazing to read. https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...r-lucrative-chelsea-tie-in-fa-cup-third-round