Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:29:09 pm

Author Topic: Lauren's Ask Me Anything  (Read 7806 times)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Lauren's Ask Me Anything
« on: October 20, 2019, 04:05:17 pm »
+11
Lauren's Ask Me Anything!

The one and the only Lauren (ok maybe there are multiple Laurens but she's a great individual with unique skills and experiences), your QCE English lecturer is holding an Ask Me Anything; she'll start replying at 3:15 pm on Friday the 25th of October now, it seems

Here's some things you might not know about Lauren: She's an avid reader and one of our longest contributing forum members. If I recall correctly, when she made her first post some of the moderators were going "hmmm this seems too good to be true" but we can now confirm she is actually that skilled and committed to helping students achieve their best.

Here's some of the reasons you may want to learn from this English extraordinaire:

🔥 Achieved the highest possible score in English which helped her earn an ATAR of 98.25
🔥 Has a degree in literature and linguistics from the University of Melbourne
🔥 Gives incredible feedback on improving writing & textual understanding, and has been doing that for years
🔥 Studying literature? Lauren's also amazing at that
🔥 Has an abundance of posts, like this, helping students out and teaching them how to improve

We've been asked this before on other AMAs so YES you can ask ANY question - so long as it abides by our community rules (which basically come down to being respectful and keeping the community a nice place for everyone)

This might include things like:
- How did you prepare for exams?
- What's your favourite text?
- I'm currently struggling and I don't know how to improve - thoughts?
- Do you take a different approach when reading for leisure?

IMPORTANT: In order to ask a question, you will have to click here and make an ATAR Notes account.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 05:06:41 pm by Bri MT »

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
Re: Lauren's Ask Me Anything
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 04:16:09 pm »
+6
1. Do you have any advice for writing a Views and Values essay in Literature (Yr 10 Lit preparation class for VCE).
2. Should you focus on one literary perspective or cover multiple in a Views and Values essay?
3. In your opinion, what should a student do in order to do well in Literature in VCE.
4. How should you annotate your novels (writing in the novel vs sticky notes)?
5. Should you annotate your novels before you study them with your class?

This is more about subjects for VCE, but I choose Literature, but now I'm kinda doubting my choice and wondering if I should've gone with English.
6. What's the workload for Literature like in comparison to English?
7. I enjoy reading but feel like I might do better in English grades wise, which do you think I should go with for VCE?

Sorry for all the questions

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 04:38:04 pm »
+5
Hey Lauren! :)

What's your favourite book?

What's the greatest lesson a book has ever taught you?

Thank you and have a great day!
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 04:50:57 pm »
+5
This is going to be amazingly helpful!! In your opinion, what is the single most important thing you need to do well in English? Can you also give a quick comparison of english, lit and eng lang?

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 08:02:08 pm »
+9
Hey everyone! Since there'll be a mix of VCE and QCE people here, I'm going to tag some parts of these posts accordingly to avoid confusion!  ;)

VCE:
1. Do you have any advice for writing a Views and Values essay in Literature (Yr 10 Lit preparation class for VCE).
Even though Views and Values essays seem like regular English Text Response pieces (i.e. you usually respond to a prompt that's about some thematic ideas in the text), you should still maintain a focus on LANGUAGE! Try to do some 'close analysis' and unpack key literary devices and quotes, since this is the foundation your teacher will be looking for!

Aside from that, if this is a piece you have to write in exam conditions, make sure you memorise enough evidence to get you through. If it's just an essay you're submitting, then really take your time to perfect things - the structure, the phrasing, and each example you include.

But my best tip would be to truly delve into the language when supporting your points. Explain WHY certain techniques contribute to certain effects, and tease out the meaning of individual words, syllables, and even the sounds of letters in order to boost your results!
2. Should you focus on one literary perspective or cover multiple in a Views and Values essay?
This depends on your teacher (sorry!) but if I were you, I'd pick one primary perspective to integrate consistently throughout the essay, and then make reference to one or two other secondary perspectives to acknowledge alternate views. So, for instance, if you were analysing Romeo and Juliet, you might pick a predominantly feminist perspective through which to view the key characters and relationships in the play, but you could also incorporate a psychoanalytic lens to discuss the psychology of the characters and their feelings for one another, or a New Historicism perspective to talk about the cultural context.
(See here for more info on Lit Perspectives!)
3. In your opinion, what should a student do in order to do well in Literature in VCE.
OVERTHINK EVERYTHING!
You know that meme...
To do well in Literature, have to way beyond thinking the curtains are blue. You have to think that the rich, velvety fabric of the curtains represents a poignant link between the character's financial wealth and their deprivation of happiness. You have to think that the fact the curtains are closed is indicative of the character shrouding themselves in their own misery, literally blocking out the world and with it any chance of happiness or light that might seep through. You have to think that perhaps the very fact that this character has decorated his home with such blue curtains underscores his subconscious understanding of the depths of his own emotions - he is aware of his sadness, but is unable to express it in words, and so sequesters himself in his own blue world...

...might sound silly, and you'd never want to go that far with it (^this would be an example of weak implicature!) but it's a great thought exercise, and if you can do that with language like this, you can do it with anything!

The assessors want to see creative thinking in your analysis of language, so you should be constantly thinking about HOW and WHY language is crafted in certain ways. Do that, and you're on track for success!

4. How should you annotate your novels (writing in the novel vs sticky notes)?
5. Should you annotate your novels before you study them with your class?
For novels, I'd go hard on sticky notes, since you probably won't have much room to write in the margins. For plays and poetry, I found there was usually enough room on the page to scribble things down, though...
Confession
I ended up having too much to say about my Year 12 poetry text, so I printed out each poem on an A4/A3 page each, and then annotated the hell out of them before pinning them up on my wall and connecting them with highlighters and red yarn like a crazed detective hunting down a serial killer...
Defs start annotating your texts after you've read them through once. The first time, just focus on comprehending the plot, but after that, start taking notes, even if you're just underlining things that strike you as being important. But your annotations should always be a work in progress, so you can add to these when you start discussing the text in class, and then throughout the year when new ideas strike you!

VCE:
This is more about subjects for VCE, but I choose Literature, but now I'm kinda doubting my choice and wondering if I should've gone with English.
6. What's the workload for Literature like in comparison to English?
7. I enjoy reading but feel like I might do better in English grades wise, which do you think I should go with for VCE?
I think the workloads are virtually identical, though personally, I found English easier because I was doing Literature, and I found my Lit analytical skills helped me breeze through VCE English Analysing Argument tasks. In terms of picking one or the other, think about whether you prefer writing about themes and authorial intent (=English) OR writing about how language creates meaning (=Literature). You'll likely have to put the same amount of effort in either way, so just go with whichever you find more interesting.

Statistically, most students who would do well in Literature would get just as good if not better results for English, but there are cases of students getting higher results in Lit because they enjoy it more. So as with almost all things related to subject selection, prioritise what you're interested in, and don't stress about scaling or anything else!

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any follow-ups. I know schools can do all sorts of crazy things in Year 10 English and Lit, so please tell me if any of this doesn't make sense! :)

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 08:07:58 pm »
+9
Hey Lauren! :)

What's your favourite book?

What's the greatest lesson a book has ever taught you?

Thank you and have a great day!
OH MY GOD! QUESTIONS AFTER MY OWN HEART!

I'm going to force myself to be more specific... and limit myself to three nominees... otherwise I might end up pushing AN's character limit :'D

Okay, favourite book I've read this year:
Can't say much without spoiling this one, but it's about the practice of book binding... sort of... and it is unexpectedly heart-wrenching.
------------------------------------------
My "Favourite BookTM"
There's another one I have that would be tied for first, but this one has a special place in my heart. The first line of Italo Calvino's 'If on a winter's night a traveller' is: You are about to begin reading Italo Calvino's new novel, 'If on a winter's night a traveller.'
Enough said.
------------------------------------------
The greatest lesson a book has ever taught me was from:
It's a novel that does not contain a single letter 'E'. I read this the night before the GAT (to Qld readers, this was like the old QCS test) and it inspired me to complete the GAT writing task without using the letter E too, and it was incredibly fun to use a limitation to open up a new, more creative way of writing.

Moral of the story: sometimes you have to challenge yourself ;)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 08:27:19 pm »
+8
Hey Lauren, what is the meaning of life?
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 09:07:02 pm »
+10
This is going to be amazingly helpful!! In your opinion, what is the single most important thing you need to do well in English? Can you also give a quick comparison of english, lit and eng lang?
At the risk of oversimplifying it, the most important thing you can do for English is

READ!

Read widely in general. Read the news. Read online resources. (Read ATAR Notes ;) ) Read past students' essays. Read your peers' essays. Read all the class handouts your teacher gives you. Read all of the recent assessor's reports. Read over your own past essays. Read all the essay feedback you get.

And most importantly, read your set texts. Read them truly, madly, deeply! Once you've read them, read articles and reviews and essays and analyses about them.

Technically, writing is also an important part of this subject, but personally, I found writing essays was just a form of testing what I already knew. They way to EXPAND what I knew was by reading.

However, if you're someone who genuinely does learn by writing, and by putting things into practice, then WRITE!

Write practice pieces for all your assessment tasks and exams. Write practice paragraphs so you can get specific feedback. Write template sentences that you can memorise to conduct high-quality analysis. And get general writing practice by keeping a journal, or better yet, do creative writing and learn how best to express yourself.

To make things more mathematical, English is all about input and output - if you're ever unsure what to write, it means you need more input for your brain, which means you need to read more! If you're ever unsure of how to write something, it means you need more practice doing the outputting, so write some sample paragraphs or mini-analyses to help get you started!

VCE:
The three English options in VCE are as follows; I'll include some general thoughts about each of these, but please let me know if you have any questions!
- English: a.k.a. mainstream English that approximately 50,000 students across the state enrol in. This is most people's default (and at some schools is the only option available :'( ). If I'm brutally honest, I don't think this is a good subject, and I'm hoping they refine some things for the new study design in 2022. But for now, VCE English consists of two main things: Text Response essays, and Analysing Argument essays. Technically you do a wide range of SACs, including creative writing and a persuasive speech, but the bulk of the course boils down to these two things. As such, your enjoyment will probably depend on whether you like analysing news articles, and whether you are assigned texts that you enjoy unpacking. Beyond that, most people make their English subject choices based on how they feel about the other two options, so let's get into those...
Literature: a.k.a. the best one. Period. (...sorry, I'll try and be unbiased :'( ) Literature is for the lit nerds. It rewards close analysis skills, and every aspect of the course comes down to how well you can explain how language creates meaning. In short, only pick Literature if you enjoy studying texts, since that's 100% of what Literature is. You don't get a break to analyse a persuasive news article, or construct your own argument about a contemporary issue for an oral presentation. Literature is all about the books, which, if you like books, is great!
Beyond that, Lit is considered somewhat harder than mainstream English, and the standards are certainly higher, since you're in a cohort with more lit people (sorry). But for real, over half of the students doing English won't be putting in much effort - they're only doing it because it's compulsory, whereas Lit students have usually chosen the subject for a reason. Overall, Lit was the one I found most enjoyable, and Literature skills can help you out in English, but there isn't much cross-over between your three options anyway.
- EngLang: a.k.a. the forgotten third child :'( EngLang is the rarest of the bunch, and seems to be offered in fewer and fewer schools nowadays (they're apparently no longer offering it through Distance Ed either!?) But in essence, EngLang is the "science-y English," and it's a shame it's not more popular because of it. You can do a similarly 'close' analysis of language as you would in Lit, but here it's about the construction and reception of language. For instance, you might analyse a political interview and discuss how a politician's use of euphemisms are constructed in order to obscure the unappealing elements of a policy proposal, or you could examine a transcript of a conversation between friends and talk about how one of them is trying to ingratiate themselves with the other after they've had a fight, so they're carefully wording very polite and deferential message that they hope will be received well. Technically, English Language should just be called 'Social Linguistics,' since that's what it is! As such, researching 'linguistics' will give you a good sense of what to expect from this subject.

In short, English is about authorial intent, Englang is about the contextual reception of language, and Literature is about books books and more books

For all you Queensland students...
QCE:
General English: this is the 'mainstream' subject that most students will 'choose' by default, since doing an English subject is compulsory, though it does not have to count towards your ATAR ;D (Trust me, this is cause for celebration - every other state in the country makes English count in the ATAR, so you're pretty luck by comparison!)
General English is a bit of a hodge-podge mix of tasks, but can be summarised as having four key components:
   1. Writing an expository piece comparing two texts
   2. Delivering a persuasive speech
   3. Composing a creative piece
   4. Analysing a text in the exam
Each of these contributes 25% of your mark, so you need to make sure you hone each of these skillsets for each assessment task.
(For a more detailed overview of these, you can download the October headstart lecture slides here!) ;)
- Literature: this is like the English exam but on steroids! Literally, your first assessment task in Literature is basically the end-of-year English exam, and it only ramps up from there! As in other states, I would anticipate that Literature would appeal to the more lit people (sorry) - as in, those who have deliberately chosen the subject because they like books, or they know English is their strong suit. Personally, I think the QCE Lit course is one of the best in the country! Unlike mainstream English, things aren't split four ways; instead, you basically only have two key skills to worry about:
   1. Imaginative writing
   2. Analytical writing
Everything will revolve around those two basic tenets,

(Lit resources will be coming soon, I promise!)

- English and Literature Extension: so if Literature is like English on steroids, Extension is like Literature on steroids (or English on double steroids).

Basically...

This subject is basically university-level Literature. You make "defensive readings" of texts just like tertiary academics do, and you conduct thorough research in order to write literary analysis papers that are akin to post-graduate theses. It's intense, and I'm super jealous I wasn't able to study this in Year 12! This is sure to be incredibly rewarding to anyone who wants to pursue further study in Arts at uni, and I hope the end of year scaling will reward the effort that this subject seems to be demanding.

I'll also try and put together some guides for those of you brave enough to have taken on this subject!
(Please don't be scared, it legit seems like a lot of fun!! And I'm not just saying that as an English nerd!!)

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 09:07:51 pm »
+3
Hi! As someone who doesn't do lit, what do you suggest are the best English exercises/methods of practice/skills needed to reach that 10/10 essay in mainstream English?

Also, what's your favourite animal?

Thank you ;D
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 09:12:30 pm »
+4
//
This is absolutely amazing advice Lauren! Thank you so, so much for taking the time to answer our questions. It's such a shame our school doesn't offer English language- as I would totally choose that. At the minute I've chosen literature mainly because I have a deep hatred of argument analysis (and a love of reading).

I wish that there was an english subject that centred around speech writing and giving orals- It would mean that my years of debating could actuall go towards my classroom work- and I love to talk so that would be a bonus!!

As for the advice about reading: thank you! I loved the way you simplified it to input/output. This will be very helpful in the future and I'm sure I will be returning to reread this time and time again.

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 09:20:07 pm »
+9
Hey Lauren, what is the meaning of life?
Easy.

Real answer
The meaning of life is to act in such a way that, were everyone to act the way you did, the world would be a better place. Our purpose is not to fix everything that we could possibly fix, or to do as much good as humanly possible, because we'd go insane trying to accomplish something so absolute. Rather, we should abide by the 'campsite rule' - i.e. after you've camped somewhere, clean up the rubbish, and "leave everything in a better state than you found it."

REALLY REAL answer
The meaning of life is puppies.

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 09:35:02 pm »
+8
Hi! As someone who doesn't do lit, what do you suggest are the best English exercises/methods of practice/skills needed to reach that 10/10 essay in mainstream English?
Hey, no stress, you definitely don't need Lit to do well in English. The best thing I could recommend would be to do what I called perfection drills ;D - might sound weird, but I promise it works. All you need to do is write a practice paragraph. Then get feedback (ideally from a good English teacher, or someone here on AN if needed!) Then re-write your paragraph using that feedback. Then get more feedback. Repeat until your writing is a 10/10 standard.

This of course doesn't guarantee that the next piece of writing you do will be perfect the first time, but it will show you that you're capable of writing a 10/10 standard, and even more importantly, it shows you what a 10/10 looks like for you!

There are a hundred different ways to score 10/10 on the exam, so there's no magic bullet that would guarantee a perfect score, but by workshopping an essay or paragraph, you can be assured that you will have put yourself in the best possible position to replicate everything that makes your writing good for next time!

Also, what's your favourite animal?
OMG PUPPIES!!!

(for those who don't know, I volunteer with Guide Dogs and they are delightful)

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 09:39:15 pm »
+5
This is absolutely amazing advice Lauren! Thank you so, so much for taking the time to answer our questions. It's such a shame our school doesn't offer English language- as I would totally choose that. At the minute I've chosen literature mainly because I have a deep hatred of argument analysis (and a love of reading).

I wish that there was an english subject that centred around speech writing and giving orals- It would mean that my years of debating could actuall go towards my classroom work- and I love to talk so that would be a bonus!!

As for the advice about reading: thank you! I loved the way you simplified it to input/output. This will be very helpful in the future and I'm sure I will be returning to reread this time and time again.
You are very welcome! Sucks that EngLang isn't an option for you :'( but I hope you enjoy Literature! I'm sure the creative and heavy text-focused elements of that subject will be fun for you, and I believe most schools get you to do one oral presentation each year (for Units 1&2 and 3&4). Other than that, maybe you could continue debating into VCE and have a fun extra-curricular to break up the studying!

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 09:42:03 pm »
+3
Thank you!

Aaaand a follow up question, if you don't mind: do you have a puppy/dog of your own?
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 09:43:16 pm »
+4
Now that we know your favourite books, what are the books that you hate the most? :P
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!