Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:30:41 am

Author Topic: New Student? Read this.  (Read 127963 times)  Share 

mikee65

Re: New Student? Read this.
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2011, 01:09:22 pm »
I see, Films also Level 2 so I cant do it in first year, ideas and practice however I can as its level 1, so writing poetry was compulsive as one of the major 3 pieces of assessment?

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2011, 01:41:46 pm »
Is it in second semester? If it is, you can do it after completing Ideas and Practice in first semester.

The three major pieces were: poetry, creative non fiction and regular fiction

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2011, 02:15:59 pm »
Don't bother enrolling in your entire 3 years now, it's completely unnecessary and will just result in you changing subjects this time next year (seriously). Putting in 2nd/3rd year subjects now, as opposed to next year makes no difference. First year science is usually fairly generic (cough two semesters of chemistry and biology cough).

You can add subjects to your study plan from home, it doesn't have to be at uni or even in January. You're free to make an appointment with your student center, but at this time of year it's busy due to the influx of several thousand new students. In terms of what you'll miss...not much uni stuff. The OP is a summary of what happens, but it's your first chance to meet students in the course etc. and that's probably more important than picking your subjects

@mike

The screen one is only if you want to write scripts, there's not much focus on "creative" writing (ie prose). I did ideas and practice. I also don't really like poetry but it was handled well (modern poems as well as ye olde english ones) and I enjoyed writing my piece.

I meant just planning my 3 years not enrolling, since I kind of already have planned first two, but need to confirm a few things to ensure all is fine (already done first year chem, so not as generic), and i really want to do it ASAP. I'm very much one to have to plan all this stuff well in advanced :p
So could I call up and even ask to make an appointment for the next week if they are available? i'd love to feel 'prepared!' Or do they not start making appointments yet..

argh, that annoying though that i'm missing it, is it worth just delaying my trip to go? or is it not really that much of a big deal?
like will i find the same stuff out in O-week anyway?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 02:18:24 pm by vexx »
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2011, 02:42:10 pm »
If you've booked a trip it's probably not worth changing it, you can call the uni and they'll have a system in place to deal with it. You can get the same help before O-week (which is probably a bit too late to be changing subjects etc.)

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2011, 04:41:19 pm »
Don't bother enrolling in your entire 3 years now, it's completely unnecessary and will just result in you changing subjects this time next year (seriously). Putting in 2nd/3rd year subjects now, as opposed to next year makes no difference. First year science is usually fairly generic (cough two semesters of chemistry and biology cough).

You can add subjects to your study plan from home, it doesn't have to be at uni or even in January. You're free to make an appointment with your student center, but at this time of year it's busy due to the influx of several thousand new students. In terms of what you'll miss...not much uni stuff. The OP is a summary of what happens, but it's your first chance to meet students in the course etc. and that's probably more important than picking your subjects

@mike

The screen one is only if you want to write scripts, there's not much focus on "creative" writing (ie prose). I did ideas and practice. I also don't really like poetry but it was handled well (modern poems as well as ye olde english ones) and I enjoyed writing my piece.

I meant just planning my 3 years not enrolling, since I kind of already have planned first two, but need to confirm a few things to ensure all is fine (already done first year chem, so not as generic), and i really want to do it ASAP. I'm very much one to have to plan all this stuff well in advanced :p
So could I call up and even ask to make an appointment for the next week if they are available? i'd love to feel 'prepared!' Or do they not start making appointments yet..

argh, that annoying though that i'm missing it, is it worth just delaying my trip to go? or is it not really that much of a big deal?
like will i find the same stuff out in O-week anyway?

When VTAC advises you that UoM is prepared to give you an offer, accept it.  Enrol online.  Finish enrolling.  Give it a few days.  Then call them up because then you're officially a UoM student and see (or hear in this case) what they have to say.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2011, 04:55:40 pm »
^ ok thanks guys :)
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

rustic_metal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2011, 05:15:15 pm »
Academic Advice Day is probably the day where you're least likely to get 1-to-1 help, since there are thousands of kids around. You'll almost never be able to sit down and plan out your course, as you said: that's entirely your responsibility and the student centres don't have the time to help you with it (they'll just tell you to go to the handbook, which is pretty much all you need).

The biggest problem with missing academic advice day is that you'll miss out on getting an SSS showbag. :D

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2011, 05:22:39 pm »
Academic Advice Day is probably the day where you're least likely to get 1-to-1 help, since there are thousands of kids around. You'll almost never be able to sit down and plan out your course, as you said: that's entirely your responsibility and the student centres don't have the time to help you with it (they'll just tell you to go to the handbook, which is pretty much all you need).

The biggest problem with missing academic advice day is that you'll miss out on getting an SSS showbag. :D

awwhh. will i be able to obtain the important contents of this showbag by other means? perhaps when i have my student advisor appt thing..?

rustic_metal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2011, 05:35:05 pm »
The SSS is the Science Students' Society. It has nothing to do with the uni or the student advisers. :P

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2011, 05:36:47 pm »
Doesn't most of it go up on the sss facebook/website? I remember getting a list of events and stuff from there (or maybe that was another club)

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2011, 05:38:39 pm »
noooooo, i want that stuff :(
ahh welllllll, im sure i'll be fine..

rustic_metal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2011, 05:42:10 pm »
Yeah, the showbag is mostly awesome freebies, though. It also contains the collaborative eng + science uni survival guide!  ;)

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2011, 05:46:23 pm »
The survival guide is great, I want a copy anyway haha
You writing for it rustic?

rustic_metal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2011, 05:51:33 pm »
Nah, don't think much is being added to it this year. Basically just smacking the alternative handbook and the survival guide together I think.

mikee65

« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2011, 08:32:06 pm »
hey fellas when are the subject selections due in?