Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:17:40 am

Author Topic: Random Memories from Primary School  (Read 2823 times)  Share 

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
Random Memories from Primary School
« on: January 27, 2020, 10:28:40 am »
+11
(Not sure if this topic already has a thread, sorry if there is!)

Made this for everyone to post random memories from primary school....the days of learning fractions with Smarties, playing 'tiggy' in the playground and watching movies in class  ;D

I'll start - for some reason this is the first thing I think of!
In Grade 2, learning how to make graphs and bar charts by sitting at the front of the school and tallying the colours of the cars that go past  ;D

Curious to read everyone elses  :D

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
Re: Random Memories from Primary School
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 10:34:30 am »
+8
One of my only memories from prep: I remember drawing on the board with permanent marker! That taught my classmates and I how to get it off! :)
Also, playing tiggy, cops and robbers and the like. :D

2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 11:02:20 am »
+9
I don't remember what grade it was, but that "game" where you had to roll two dice and then whatever it landed on you had to say what the answer was when you multiplied the two or three dice numbers together. I landed on 6x6 about 70 percent of the time haha, and I've never forgotten it!

Another thing,  did anyone else have those counting coins? Round, colourful, slightly see through, between the size of a ten and twenty cent coin...  I don't even know what to call them?

And two more, while I'm down memory lane haha - the classroom chores (always wanting to be the person to wipe off the board at the end of the day because it was the easiest haha). And that one substitute teacher that we all loved because literally all we did was do colouring ins (because he had like four folders full of them), make texta guns, and he gave out starbursts if we were good (I've never seen the class more well behaved then when we had the substitute teacher who I won't name for privacy reasons, but I remember you Mr *****)

:)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 12:36:02 pm »
+6
I remember we learnt about sun protection using sausages. One was in the shade. One was in direct sun. There was another one in the sun that we put suncreen on. And a couple of others too. I remember finding it really fun at the time but now the whole idea of rubbing sunscreen on raw meat weirds me out a little. I think it was in Prep.

I also remember we used to play a lot of doctor/nurse games. We had this bush we used to sit in and make "medicine". There were also lots of rocks around, which were quite dangerous, and we use big rocks to smash other rocks to make powder which we called makeup and put on each others faces. Primary school was a great time.

We also used to climb into the creek (storm drain) that ran through the middle of the school, through this tiny gap in the fence. The storm drain ran all the way to the local shops and so sometimes people would use it as an escape route.
In year 7, some people smoking a bong were walking (in the creek) right through the middle of the school. That was a surreal experience.

In Grade 2, learning how to make graphs and bar charts by sitting at the front of the school and tallying the colours of the cars that go past  ;D
I remember doing that!

Another thing,  did anyone else have those counting coins? Round, colourful, slightly see through, between the size of a ten and twenty cent coin...  I don't even know what to call them?
We had things like that, and also coloured counting blocks that clicked together vertically like lego.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 01:00:51 pm »
+8
Love this thread idea!

:)

They're called counters! In music pedagogy, we use them to help primary students learn how to differentiate notes and rhythms  ;D They come to associate a crotchet with a red counter, a quaver with a blue counter etc. before we introduce them to the names of the notes. It's all part of developmental learning and I think that's why it's also used for other subjects like mathematics in primary education too  ;D

My highlights from primary were music classes and learning the recorder! I feel like every primary school in my area did recorder but how could you not love the little tooter? I remember being one of the only players in my school to play treble so my teacher had to teach us our parts separately but we also learnt the descant parts to make sure class time was productive. In hindsight, it was great differentiation, especially now that I look back at it from an education major's perspective  :)
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 01:33:06 pm »
+8
Keeping with the music theme a memory I have is learning the piano. I started school lessons in grade 1 (although played a little at home before this) and been playing since although less nowadays. Involved weekly lessons, sometimes playing in a band, concerts etc

My highlights from primary were music classes and learning the recorder! I feel like every primary school in my area did recorder but how could you not love the little tooter? I remember being one of the only players in my school to play treble so my teacher had to teach us our parts separately but we also learnt the descant parts to make sure class time was productive. In hindsight, it was great differentiation, especially now that I look back at it from an education major's perspective  :)
Personally didn't play the recorder but it was very popular with students at my school.

Does anyone remember a game where there is a base and someone (or a group of people) guarding the base. Another group of students have about 60s to run anywhere in the school and hide and after the minute is up the group that hid had to run back to the base without being tagged by those who are guarding it?? I'm probably not doing it justice ahaha

Gonna add more stuff as I remember

interessant

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 01:40:47 pm »
+8
MAB blocks! And also running to the monkey bars at the start of recess and lunch before anyone else could use them

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 01:53:58 pm »
+7
I know I already responded but I just remembered something else: dodgeball!!!

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 02:05:55 pm »
+6

Does anyone remember a game where there is a base and someone (or a group of people) guarding the base. Another group of students have about 60s to run anywhere in the school and hide and after the minute is up the group that hid had to run back to the base without being tagged by those who are guarding it?? I'm probably not doing it justice ahaha

Yesss - I'm pretty sure it was called 40 40 home base or something like that? I remember being so bad at it...

MAB blocks! And also running to the monkey bars at the start of recess and lunch before anyone else could use them

Yessss!! MAB blocks were iconic ha ha. I think I spent more time stacking them together rather than actually using them for maths haha.

Remembered another.....downball!! I remember always trying to impress the boys with my skills lol

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 02:20:03 pm »
+3
Yesss - I'm pretty sure it was called 40 40 home base or something like that? I remember being so bad at it...
Ahhh yes definitely something like that, sounds really familiar

Remembered another.....downball!! I remember always trying to impress the boys with my skills lol
lol ......... I would've mentioned downball but I was playing it at times during year 12 as well

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 02:22:23 pm »
+5

40 40 was great!  Also had to remember to say "no hanging around base" otherwise people would hover *just* not touching the base and once you finished counting everyone would instantly touch it and win.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 04:08:50 pm »
+4
I know I already responded but I just remembered something else: dodgeball!!!
Oh my goodness, yes! This was the highlight of my week, every week.

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 04:14:08 pm »
+5
Cricket, Footy, Cops and Robbers on the school oval!

Also, the beep test  :-*
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 04:25:52 pm »
+3
Every Friday after lunch the whole year level would go out and we would play some games, like dodgeball, soccer, kickball, red rover, etc. Good times. 
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 04:27:31 pm »
+6
- Recess and lunchtime was actually fun in primary school. Recess and lunchtime in the later years of high school was filled with stressing out over the SAC you had in the next period.

- Icy poles, donuts and Subway lunch.

- Stealing the playground. Then remembering that your grade level isn't supposed to be on the playground that day.

- Running around aimlessly, being kids, know what I mean?

- Being the first to the sports shed so you could have first dibs

- Tiggy and its endless variations. I remember ball tiggy being fun back in the day (like normal tiggy, but you tag someone by throwing the ball at them)

- Actually interacting with people my age. We need some more of that in today's world.

- Primary school was the prime of my life. I only have vague memories, to be completely honest with you.

I'll have more nostalgia to bring this thread once it comes to my mind.

Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.