Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:25:32 am

Author Topic: How much work should I be doing at home?  (Read 572 times)  Share 

lst1103

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
How much work should I be doing at home?
« on: February 11, 2019, 04:53:51 pm »
I’m doing four subjects this year (English, BM, Further and Psych) and I have 11 spare periods per week out of 30. I haven’t been getting much homework, but when I do, I complete it during my spares. The most homework I’ve done thus far probably equates to ~2/2.5 hours on a single night - should I be getting more? How many hours does everyone spend studying per night??

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: How much work should I be doing at home?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 04:57:53 pm »
+2
Yo!

This is really one of those "how long is a piece of string?" questions. It all depends on a heap of factors - not least how efficient you are with your study. If you're super efficient and can get through everything in, say, two hours, is that worse than spending four hours per night on the same tasks? Definitely not.

For that reason and others, I honestly don't think judging study by number of hours is that useful.

Do you feel as though you're on top of your work atm? Do you feel confident with the content? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

lst1103

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 05:15:57 pm »
Yes, and yes to your questions!

I’m just concerned because some nights - like tonight - I have absolutely no homework. Is this bad?

Should I be using this time to get ahead? Is it bad to get too far ahead?

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 05:17:15 pm »
+2
Yes, and yes to your questions!

I’m just concerned because some nights - like tonight - I have absolutely no homework. Is this bad?

Should I be using this time to get ahead? Is it bad to get too far ahead?

Is it bad that you have no homework? Nah, I see that as a good thing!

If you want to study or be productive, though, sure, use that time to revise. :) Try to nail definitions, do some more practice questions, make sure your notes are in order. You don't need to have homework in order to study.

Or, as you've suggested, you can try to get ahead! I actually never did this, so can't really comment too much, but there's no harm in reading through the next chapters of your textbook, say. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.