Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:42:58 pm

Author Topic: cries in english  (Read 996 times)  Share 

pans

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
cries in english
« on: February 25, 2021, 10:03:56 pm »
hey,

(btw im a yr11 doing mainstream eng). I just had a practice sac on Wednesday and I actually failed. When i mean failed i mean writing 2 pages (and crossing out nearly half a page in 90 minutes), not developing a plot, repeating the same idea in 3 paragraphs and ended with a shitty ending. I dont understand how people r just so good at english, like my brain just refuses to learn english if that makes sense. HOWEVER ENGLISH IS LIKE SO IMPORTANT so omg I rly have to do good. But my main concern is that im rly lazy and I dont want to spend time on my studies and ofc, english. Last year, i would literally get competent (if u dont know that, thats basically 40-50%... : )   

I try to read books, but Im not a book lover and I dont have the motivation to keep reading (im a drama lover man, watch dramas 24/7 haha). Like I start a book and i gradually just forget about it and stop reading. + my vocab is soo LIMITED!!!!! bruh literally failed my creative practice sac.... I have my actual sac next week and omg.. (ive actually given up on eng like CUDWIU). I have the written explanation tomorrow and I CANT EVEN WRITE ANYTHING cuz my essay is just..... plain like air (that was a shit simile). anyways I swear y8's write better than me. bye english. bye vce....

a weaponized ikea chair

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +12
Re: cries in english
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 10:09:31 pm »
What book are you studying?

pans

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 10:15:04 pm »
What book are you studying?

rn we just doing the drovers wife and paper menagerie (creative sac)

mabajas76

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 10:22:31 pm »
+1
Maybe consider switching to Language? Make no mistake language is a lot of work, for the first 4 weeks of the term we just went over like 100-200 definitions in the study design we will need for the next 2 years. However they don't read books or write essays. Interestingly this was one drawback for me cause I love doing both lol.
If you are either forced or determined to stay in mainstream English and not willing to put in work, then I am not sure what to say. Point of VCE is to get an ATAR, and the ATAR is used for uni and an ok English score is a preresiquite for many courses. If you are willing to just try to push through I got 1 piece of advice that got my essays way above the rest of my year levels. Just practice writing essays. Ask the teacher for an example of a high scoring piece (or ask on here) and look at how they incorporate there points in a smooth and natural transition that emphasizes and explores concepts that are framed in the context of the book. Once you have read through some, just write, write, write. For me, I wrote 3 times essays over the span of 3 days leading up to class essay and I was able to fit in over 2000 words in about 2.5 hours. I know it sucks but honestly, just writing essays, especially on what ur studying is the best way to learn the book and improve your writing.
P.S Also there are some great guides/essays on here that can be used as a reference if you are stuck :P
Hope this helps and wish you luck!
"Don't give up, and don't put too much effort into things that don't matter"-Albert Einstein, probably.

pans

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 09:51:46 am »
Thank you for the detailed response!I have also thought of changing to eng lang but I think englang would be really hard because it scales 3?? wouldnt it??? Ive seen work from englang and its very languagey (haha), im not sure if i will like it.... Maybe im just bad at english in general

mabajas76

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 01:13:49 am »
+1
Scaling is not a measure of difficulty but a measure of competition. So people who do English language tend to be math/science students and so they preform (generally speaking) well in other subjects. If you had people who get 50's in all there subjects do equine(horse) vce  (side note read the equine exams they r so hilarious) then the equine study would scale super high as those students should get 50 in all subjects since vce subjects should be equal difficult. So English language is not difficult, just competitive and has a small amount of people doing it, even then the scaling is not actually high, only 1-3 so it is pretty average. As long as you learn all the definitions and learn how to study texts then as long as you pass your SACS u can get a pretty good exam score. But again it is a fair chunk of memorizing and analyzing but it can be made fun (our teacher is super chill, so like we watch the office, comedy clips, read betoota advocate and stuff sometimes and its really funny).
Try to get through the book but in the end only u know whether u r willing to commit hours to study and practice in order to get a good score.
"Don't give up, and don't put too much effort into things that don't matter"-Albert Einstein, probably.