Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:01:51 am

Author Topic: Should I challenge my mark?  (Read 891 times)  Share 

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
Should I challenge my mark?
« on: June 05, 2020, 04:16:57 pm »
So I just got my SAC mark back, and I lost a few marks over not putting a voltage metre/battery on my galvanic cell diagram. How I was taught said I didn't have to add that on....

What you guys think?
Is my teacher in the right, or should I contend?
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
Re: Should I challenge my mark?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 04:41:44 pm »
+1
So I just got my SAC mark back, and I lost a few marks over not putting a voltage metre/battery on my galvanic cell diagram. How I was taught said I didn't have to add that on....

What you guys think?
Is my teacher in the right, or should I contend?

Hi Geoo,

While I'm not a VCE student, I think that it would depend on whether it is mentioned anywhere in your SAC/study materials. I'm not exactly sure how your curriculum is structured but I would recommend checking your task criteria, task sheet and or your study design to make sure that using specific details such as voltage metre/battery on your galvanic cell diagrams was or wasn't a requirement for the task. If it isn't mentioned anywhere in your task criteria, task sheet, study design or your teacher said that you didn't have to include it, then do contend your mark as I think that it's extremely unfair for you to lose marks over something that your teacher said to not include.

Hopefully, that helps :)

Have a great week and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 04:48:05 pm »
+5
I'm sure a lot of people will jump on the "no, you're right, contend!" because real talk - if I'm going to use a lemon battery to run a toy car, why would I add a voltmeter? What would be the purpose? I might use one in the testing stage, but after that, who gives a shit?

However, be careful of arguing with her for the sake of more marks that won't add much. Let's say this SAC turns your 87% to an 88%. That's a 1% increase to your study score, right? Not true - this SAC will only count for half of your unit 3 mark, so it's 0.5%. BUT, unit 3 only counts for 20% of your final mark, so it's 0.1%. If your mark increases by more than 1%, then multiply it by 0.1 to get what the final change to your final mark will be (not even your study score - this is the mark that affects your study score, the change in your study score is likely going to be even less than this)

However, what if you push your teacher to the point that they don't like you? All of a sudden, they judge your tests more harshly because they're annoyed. They're less willing to give you help later. They make your experience in class annoying and a hell.

It may sound silly - but pick your battles. Don't go in arguing for more marks, go in with questioning. Maybe you lost those marks because the question was worded in a way that required a voltmeter, and you missed it? Don't make it sound like the teacher is wrong and you deserve the marks because you worked hard and you're right and she's wrong - try and approach your teacher with a bit hint of, "I want to do better on the next test, can you help me figure out what I'm doing wrong this time?", and it will make all the difference

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 04:54:18 pm »
+4
Quote from: keltingmeith
pick your battles
Agree with this. If it's only a few marks, wouldn't do it.

Have you asked your teacher about the mark? You are perfectly OK to ask to review it with them - maybe when you do, their explanation would be sufficient for you. Obviously approach it in the right way and all, though.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 05:44:48 pm »
Hi Geoo,
While I'm not a VCE student, I think that it would depend on whether it is mentioned anywhere in your SAC/study materials. I'm not exactly sure how your curriculum is structured but I would recommend checking your task criteria, task sheet and or your study design to make sure that using specific details such as voltage metre/battery on your galvanic cell diagrams was or wasn't a requirement for the task. If it isn't mentioned anywhere in your task criteria, task sheet, study design or your teacher said that you didn't have to include it, then do contend your mark as I think that it's extremely unfair for you to lose marks over something that your teacher said to not include.
Hopefully, that helps :)
Have a great week and kind regards,Darcy Dillon.
Thanks i'll take that on board.
I'm sure a lot of people will jump on the "no, you're right, contend!" because real talk - if I'm going to use a lemon battery to run a toy car, why would I add a voltmeter? What would be the purpose? I might use one in the testing stage, but after that, who gives a shit?

However, be careful of arguing with her for the sake of more marks that won't add much. Let's say this SAC turns your 87% to an 88%. That's a 1% increase to your study score, right? Not true - this SAC will only count for half of your unit 3 mark, so it's 0.5%. BUT, unit 3 only counts for 20% of your final mark, so it's 0.1%. If your mark increases by more than 1%, then multiply it by 0.1 to get what the final change to your final mark will be (not even your study score - this is the mark that affects your study score, the change in your study score is likely going to be even less than this)

However, what if you push your teacher to the point that they don't like you? All of a sudden, they judge your tests more harshly because they're annoyed. They're less willing to give you help later. They make your experience in class annoying and a hell.

It may sound silly - but pick your battles. Don't go in arguing for more marks, go in with questioning. Maybe you lost those marks because the question was worded in a way that required a voltmeter, and you missed it? Don't make it sound like the teacher is wrong and you deserve the marks because you worked hard and you're right and she's wrong - try and approach your teacher with a bit hint of, "I want to do better on the next test, can you help me figure out what I'm doing wrong this time?", and it will make all the difference
I have found a few other inconstant marks so I do think I will contend. But i'll definitely approach it with a, "I just want to confirm" sort of attitude/ where did I go wrong. Because you are totally right, and I don't want to jeopardise the teachers attitude towards me. Thanks for the advice! I will definitely be cautious when talking to my chem teacher.
Agree with this. If it's only a few marks, wouldn't do it.

Have you asked your teacher about the mark? You are perfectly OK to ask to review it with them - maybe when you do, their explanation would be sufficient for you. Obviously approach it in the right way and all, though.
I do think i'll take the approach of reviewing what I did with them! I really don't want to offend her as she is really great, so i'' be cautious. For me since there are a few marks on the line about 4, that would bump my 84% to a 92%. I really do want to pick this battle, but thanks for your advice!
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash