Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:16:02 pm

Author Topic: Final HSC Mark  (Read 1571 times)

dazzas

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
Final HSC Mark
« on: October 31, 2018, 09:38:03 am »
Hey everyone,

Hope your exams are going well. I finished mine yesterday so I wanted to confirm how our final HSC marks are calculated (not that I can do anything about them now, but I never figured it out clearly). Here's my understanding so far, correct me if I'm wrong;

Our final HSC mark (the mark we get sent via text) is an average between our own external exam mark and our assessment mark, which is determined by our school internal rank and the magical scaling system that considers the relative gap between each rankings.

The bit I'm unsure of: I only recently discovered that our external exam mark isn't the raw mark we get for the exam, they also go through a process of alignment. Does this depend on how difficult the paper was, or how everyone in the state went, or both? Is it safe to say our raw marks generally get aligned to a higher mark? Does it apply to every subject, or just those that tend to 'scale better'? Does it apply to the top raw marks as well (95+)?

Also, does anyone have any clue what the band 6 cut off for maths 2 unit might be this year?

Thanks everyone.

Darren
HSC 2018: English Advanced, Mathematics, Biology, PDHPE, Modern History, History Extension

charlottemchenry

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
Re: Final HSC Mark
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 10:20:13 am »

The bit I'm unsure of: I only recently discovered that our external exam mark isn't the raw mark we get for the exam, they also go through a process of alignment. Does this depend on how difficult the paper was, or how everyone in the state went, or both? Is it safe to say our raw marks generally get aligned to a higher mark? Does it apply to every subject, or just those that tend to 'scale better'? Does it apply to the top raw marks as well (95+)?

Also, does anyone have any clue what the band 6 cut off for maths 2 unit might be this year?

Darren

Hey this website - rawmarks.info has the raw mark and the mark given based from students who paid to see their raw marks so it might be helpful. It differs each year because of the difficulty which as you said is sort of the same as how the state performed cause they move it based on how people performed but if people perform bad then it was obviously hard.

Hope that helps
HSC 2018 - Standard English [88] || Mathematics [89] || Biology [89] || Chemistry [83] || Legal Studies [92] || Studies of Religion 1 [45]

Atar:

UTS 2019 - Bachelor of Advanced Science (Infection and Immunity) and Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Final HSC Mark
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 01:19:34 pm »
+2
This guide might also help Darren, just click here! Welcome to the forums ;D