Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:31:21 pm

Author Topic: Hagseed / Tempest practice essay  (Read 3213 times)

thaifriedrice

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Hagseed / Tempest practice essay
« on: May 24, 2019, 02:01:49 pm »
I have to do a practice essay for:

To what extent does the use of motifs enhance your understanding of the common or disparate values presented in the comparative study of texts. In your response you should include detailed analysis of both Shakespeare’s Tempest and Atwood’s Hag-Seed.

First off, I have no idea what a motif is, I tried googling it but It just made me confused even more.
And second, does anyone know how I would even do that for tempest / Hag-seed?
୧[ ˵ ͡ᵔ ͜ʟ ͡ᵔ ˵ ]୨ ~uwu

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
Re: Hagseed / Tempest practice essay
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 08:55:48 pm »
+2
I have to do a practice essay for:

To what extent does the use of motifs enhance your understanding of the common or disparate values presented in the comparative study of texts. In your response you should include detailed analysis of both Shakespeare’s Tempest and Atwood’s Hag-Seed.

First off, I have no idea what a motif is, I tried googling it but It just made me confused even more.

Hey!

So a motif is a recurring theme/idea that is presented within a text, rule of thumb is that for something to be a motif, it should be represented 3 or more times. (this definition is from the internet "Motifs are recurring structures, contrasts, and literary devices that can help to develop and inform the text’s major themes.")

So for e.g. within The Tempest, the relationship between master/servant is a recurring motif throughout the play and I'd argue this isn't reiterated in Hag-Seed.

What I'd do when answering is find reoccurring ideas that are shown in The Tempest and Atwood borrows these ideas to an extent - i.e. she has borrowed a similar idea and portrayed it differently.

Hope this helps!
meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
Re: Hagseed / Tempest practice essay
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 11:22:11 am »

Hey!

Some other recurring motifs in The Tempest and Hag Seed are prisons - the island is a prison, Felix's mind is a prison, Fletcher Correctional Centre is a prison (you could also look at the theme of imprisonment), magic - Ariel's magic, 8handz technology acts like magic, and the theme of vengeance.

With these motifs, you could discuss the common values shared by the texts and how these values are still relevant to contemporary audiences, as the motifs are strongly represented in each text, in your essay!

Hope that helps give you some ideas!