Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 07:42:28 pm

Author Topic: Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal  (Read 64460 times)

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
Re: Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
« Reply #135 on: October 03, 2018, 10:36:47 pm »
+4
One week down and one to go.
How have your holidays been? It is officially only one month until exams... it doesn't even feel real.

As I mentioned, I have had a really busy first week of the holidays. I spent a day in Melbourne, two days at parties (including going out with friends to shop, get ready etc.), a morning tutoring our Japanese students for their impending oral, an evening working and lots of time spent with my mum, who is still looking for work. I managed to finish a practice exam for psychology and finish applications for universities (i.e. an almost 3000-word endeavor).
I'm not overly happy with how little I have been studying, but there is still time.
Most of my efforts for the week were focused into applications to medicine. It's really hard to think honestly about yourself but write strategically. I feel a constant defeat because I feel that no matter how much I write, I can never truly convey just how much I want a place. That desperation also makes it really hard to start writing in the first place, because the weight and pressure put on the words I carve out is just so immense.

I assume you're applying to JCU since you have 3000 words? I just finished mine up too and I was struggling quite a bit with the UNSW one because they restrict your responses to questions to 30-50 words! It ended up pretty bare bones and straight to the point, which wasn't my favourite, but I guess it saved some time typing it all out haha.

Sorry if you've already answered this, but where are you applying for? Would you consider dentistry?
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2018, 07:34:54 am »
+2
I assume you're applying to JCU since you have 3000 words? I just finished mine up too and I was struggling quite a bit with the UNSW one because they restrict your responses to questions to 30-50 words! It ended up pretty bare bones and straight to the point, which wasn't my favourite, but I guess it saved some time typing it all out haha.

Sorry if you've already answered this, but where are you applying for? Would you consider dentistry?
Hi! Thanks for your reply.
Actually, it was more like 1000 words for UTas, the 700ish for UNSW, 500 for QTAC EAS, maybe 500ish for UTas scholarships? Idk then rounded to 3000 hahaha.

I'm applying for:
UNSW, JMP (ineligible), GWS, USyd, Monash (ineligible), La Trobe, Adelaide, Flinders, UTas, Griffith and UQ.
The ones I haven't applied for:
Curtin/WA unis, JCU
I am rather happy to move to most places to study medicine. However I figured that WA was a little bit too far from home with few places anyway. JCU is basically the same idea, with the added uncertainty of whether I would actually be suited to and enjoy their program.

Yeah the UNSW prompts were tough. It's lucky they are not assessed and used for interviews only. My least favourite of those were "What experiences would you like to have in the next 10 years?"
I was able to apply for the rural pathway as well, however, which had a 600 word "describe your connections to your rural community and why you would be suitable for the rural pathway scheme". It was longer but a bit more targeted, so it was admittedly easier to write!

I'm not applying for dentistry :)
Where are you applying for?
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2018, 10:03:56 am »
+2
^^I think the UTAS 800 words application was only for those of us applying through the rural application process, right?

Yeah it's crazy how much paperwork we have to do just before the exams - getting sooooo many stat decs signed and making all those _TAC accounts!

Best of luck to you both  :) :)
Anyone care for some lemonade?

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2018, 10:19:01 am »
+4
Hi! Thanks for your reply.
Actually, it was more like 1000 words for UTas, the 700ish for UNSW, 500 for QTAC EAS, maybe 500ish for UTas scholarships? Idk then rounded to 3000 hahaha.

I'm applying for:
UNSW, JMP (ineligible), GWS, USyd, Monash (ineligible), La Trobe, Adelaide, Flinders, UTas, Griffith and UQ.
The ones I haven't applied for:
Curtin/WA unis, JCU
I am rather happy to move to most places to study medicine. However I figured that WA was a little bit too far from home with few places anyway. JCU is basically the same idea, with the added uncertainty of whether I would actually be suited to and enjoy their program.

Yeah the UNSW prompts were tough. It's lucky they are not assessed and used for interviews only. My least favourite of those were "What experiences would you like to have in the next 10 years?"
I was able to apply for the rural pathway as well, however, which had a 600 word "describe your connections to your rural community and why you would be suitable for the rural pathway scheme". It was longer but a bit more targeted, so it was admittedly easier to write!

I'm not applying for dentistry :)
Where are you applying for?

I'm applying for similar places, minus USyd and Utas! I had pretty similar thoughts about WA unis and JCU since it's such a long distance from Melbourne and I wasn't sure whether I'd like it there. I'm definitely prepared to move interstate, but the distance made it a whole lot more difficult to justify it (Australia is too big haha)

Yeah, I keep hearing about how UNSW had a few hundred words, but then I only had those super short questions, so I assume that the longer responses are for rural entry. Even though the short responses were a bit of a pain, they were actually pretty good to think about and reflect on :) I wish they could have been a bit longer so that I could elaborate on ideas more though :(
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2018, 01:07:36 am »
+5
^^I think the UTAS 800 words application was only for those of us applying through the rural application process, right?

Yeah it's crazy how much paperwork we have to do just before the exams - getting sooooo many stat decs signed and making all those _TAC accounts!

Best of luck to you both  :) :)
That's right! :) I actually was reminded with an email from UTAS being like "...um so you have sent an application in but you're rural and yet no rural application?? ohhhh here's the PDF hurry up and send it back"
So it was a bit of a surprise! I just thought they looked up your address and that was that.

Ikr... It sucks. I've done 4 statutory declarations so far! Lucky our school finance officer is an accountant!
Best of luck to you!!

I'm applying for similar places, minus USyd and Utas! I had pretty similar thoughts about WA unis and JCU since it's such a long distance from Melbourne and I wasn't sure whether I'd like it there. I'm definitely prepared to move interstate, but the distance made it a whole lot more difficult to justify it (Australia is too big haha)

Yeah, I keep hearing about how UNSW had a few hundred words, but then I only had those super short questions, so I assume that the longer responses are for rural entry. Even though the short responses were a bit of a pain, they were actually pretty good to think about and reflect on :) I wish they could have been a bit longer so that I could elaborate on ideas more though :(
I totally understand. I'm also really fortunate to have family in basically all of the other areas where I have applied to, but absolutely none in WA, NT and northern QLD. And I definitely understand what you mean by not sure whether you'd like it... I didn't want to sound too choosy but for where I want to go and what I want to do, I wasn't sure if the focus of the med course would really reflect that.

Yes, you're right. There was a 600 word response for rural applications.
It does feel more assuring to write something and send it off, but don't worry too much! You can put into words what you would have in writing when you get an interview :)
I guess that's the purpose of them anyway! Best of luck.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 01:09:07 am by sarangiya »

♡ Subjects ♡
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2018, 12:05:46 am »
+14
Our holidays have come to an end so soon.
We only have 13 days of school left and 24 until the examination period begins…!

First, I'm happy to announce I received an invitation for an interview at the University of New South Wales!
I am so fortunate, considering everything. Apparently there should be 150 rural interviewees and 51 given a place. That means that 1 in 3 will get a place. I'll have to be a very good little talker to somehow sneak my way into the top third.
My odds aren't very good. Though I was so excited to get an invitation I am being wary of not getting my hopes too high.
My closest interview location is in Albury-Wodonga. It will take me about 5 hours to get there, which will also be an ordeal. I did have a sneaky look on Tiger to see if I could nab some cheap flights but I don't think I can justify the price. Although, it would be nice to see the Kensington campus (and maybe have a weekend in Sydney or something!?)
We will just have to see.

This week we had almost a full week of lectures. We had three 3-hour session for English Language and two 3-hour sessions for Chemistry. They were really good (especially the EL ones). For some reason, I now get super stressed in lectures because I always feel like I get advice and they're like “you probably already know this…”, “you've probably been doing this all year but…” and I'm like, “????????no?” and feel very insecure.
I was also super fortunate to develop a ridiculously sore throat on Friday. So much so I basically spent the whole Friday in bed and religiously popping Panadol on the weekend. Which also sucks because I am awful at swallowing pills. Choking, spitting, gagging, you name it. I always avoid Panadol and endure the pain, but not this time. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to be checked up because I'm way too scared that it is glandular fever or something.
Other than that, I spent the weekend out of town for my cousin's 30th and then overnight in another town to spend time with my grandmother. I was a little bit reluctant to go, but what can you do. It's family.

Next week we have practice exams. I am not really prepared for them, I must admit.
I have Methods, English Language and Chemistry on Tuesday, followed by Psychology on Thursday.
We still have to go to classes all week and just miss classes while we have an exam on. Pretty brutal but I guess it's a good idea. The week after I'll have my final SAC (psychology).

The thing I'm most worried about is the finer points of my ATAR. I think I can get above 99 (touch wood lol), but I'm not sure if I'll be good enough to crack 99.50 and above.
I was so motivated and sure in my first posts to get 99.95. I still wish with all my heart that I get it, and hope that I am “working towards it”. But, as the year comes to an end, I'm beginning to lose some of the idealism.
I really hope I can do what it takes to push my ATAR up to a 99.80. That, as discussed very early in the year, will be my (albeit very high) contentment level. I still think that isn't exactly in the range of what a contentment level should be but, well, if I want any chance of getting a place in a medical program...
It feels like I'm almost worried to do anything, like how I was with my medicine applications. It's such a heavy burden that I'm scared to pick it up in the first place.
Lack of motivation? I don't know. I feel like you can chalk everything up to that. Admittedly hating to admit my weaknesses, I think for me it is fear. Fear of failure, fear of insecurity, fear of the unknown…
I have to be a big girl at some point. I just don't feel like I am yet. (turning 18 is a total gimmick!!)

Good luck to all of you and enjoy your first week back!

Quote from: Albert Camus
Real generosity towards the future lies in giving all to the present.

♡ Subjects ♡

Vaike

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +236
« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2018, 01:00:37 am »
+10
Spoiler
The thing I'm most worried about is the finer points of my ATAR. I think I can get above 99 (touch wood lol), but I'm not sure if I'll be good enough to crack 99.50 and above.
I was so motivated and sure in my first posts to get 99.95. I still wish with all my heart that I get it, and hope that I am “working towards it”. But, as the year comes to an end, I'm beginning to lose some of the idealism.
I really hope I can do what it takes to push my ATAR up to a 99.80. That, as discussed very early in the year, will be my (albeit very high) contentment level. I still think that isn't exactly in the range of what a contentment level should be but, well, if I want any chance of getting a place in a medical program...
It feels like I'm almost worried to do anything, like how I was with my medicine applications. It's such a heavy burden that I'm scared to pick it up in the first place.

Hey Sarangiya! Just wanted to chip in on this, as I this is something I really related to. I remember feeling the exact same way last year, and I remember how stressful it all was. To be honest I had a pretty difficult time thinking about anything else. But having come out the other side, I'd really encourage you to try your best to not focus on the end result. Time and energy you spend stressing over this kind of stuff really isn't worth the effort. This really clicked for me before exams when I ran across the quote "worry is a misuse of the imagination".

It's easier said than done of course to just, but having kept up to date with your journal for a good part of the year it's pretty clear how hard you've worked, and hopefully that fills you with a lot of confidence. You've done the hard work in getting to this point, the next few weeks will be stressful but believe in yourself and all the effort you've put in this year! Even if you have to fake being confident at first, take pride in what you've achieved so far this year; I think it'll help for the final hurdles to come.

Best of luck for the next few weeks and keep going, we're all pulling for you :)

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2018, 01:53:14 am »
+7
Hey Sarangiya! Just wanted to chip in on this, as I this is something I really related to. I remember feeling the exact same way last year, and I remember how stressful it all was. To be honest I had a pretty difficult time thinking about anything else. But having come out the other side, I'd really encourage you to try your best to not focus on the end result. Time and energy you spend stressing over this kind of stuff really isn't worth the effort. This really clicked for me before exams when I ran across the quote "worry is a misuse of the imagination".

It's easier said than done of course to just, but having kept up to date with your journal for a good part of the year it's pretty clear how hard you've worked, and hopefully that fills you with a lot of confidence. You've done the hard work in getting to this point, the next few weeks will be stressful but believe in yourself and all the effort you've put in this year! Even if you have to fake being confident at first, take pride in what you've achieved so far this year; I think it'll help for the final hurdles to come.

Best of luck for the next few weeks and keep going, we're all pulling for you :)

Thank you so much for your advice Vaike! I really appreciate it.
You're right. I think I need to just take this nervous energy and channel it into something useful. It is indeed easier said than done, but your quote speaks volumes (and I do love a quote or few).

I'll try to keep that in mind. Thank you so much. I guess sometimes the best encouragement can come from ourselves, right?

Also, after just an hour of deliberation, I have decided I will do away with the contentment level. Why? Because any ATAR that gets me a place is more than good enough for me. If I want to get to the end of the road, who cares what car I ride in!
I don't know whether this shows a great ability to better my headspace or a great weakness of thinking at 100km/hr indecisively in the middle of the night. (Haha)

In any case, thank you!!

♡ Subjects ♡

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #143 on: October 17, 2018, 08:20:05 pm »
+17
We are really coming to the very end!
I'll keep this update really short, because it is a busy time for us all.

Last week we had our practice exams.
Methods - awful. Forgot my bound reference. It was my first practice exam and good lord I'm going to need to get working if I want anything near a decent score.
Chemistry - my teacher said it's 'as expected' and not bad for this time of year. I was still pretty disappointed. The theme of needing to put on my work continues still.
English Language - worse than I expected, but still quite a decent result. We have had more troubles with staffing which I won't even bother to elaborate on, so I'm not sure if I can trust the marking. In any case, I'll try and take on the criticisms and raise the bar again.
Psychology - I did pretty well but to my worry not significantly better than what I did last year... Yet again: more work needed!

All in all, the practice exams were very valuable.

This week is our last full week of school. I'll also be having my interview for UNSW. Wish me luck :)

Hope you all have a great remainder of the week. Best of luck as always

Quote from: Kenneth Blanchford
There’s a difference between interest and commitment. When you’re interested in doing something, you do it only when it’s convenient. When you’re committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results.

♡ Subjects ♡

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2018, 05:03:23 pm »
+4
Good luck for your interview! Hope you smash it - looking forward to hearing how it went either way. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2018, 12:50:43 am »
+15
The final week of school!
We have made it! First, congratulations to all the school leavers this year who have worked so hard. It's time to close a big chapter in our lives, and flip to an entirely new page. I'll be wishing you all the best for the following weeks, and for all that comes after.
Graduating classes of 2018, congratulations!!

Interviews
Last week I had my interview for the UNSW Medical School in Albury!
Though I'd love to tell you all about it, I'm not sure just how much I'm meant to let on.
I'll list some of my general impressions:
  • Though it is often said to be a laid-back and personal interview, in reality was a lot more structured than what I thought. I do agree that it was very personal.
  • 40 minutes went by in a flash
  • I don't think preparation or coaching would have made any significant difference. I used a list of potential questions compiled by another forum and just dotpointed some ideas. I think that was enough.
  • The type and content of the questions asked varied greatly.
I did, however, make a fool of myself yet again. For those of you who read my “most embarrassing moment” spoiler tag a few posts back, this will seem somewhat familiar.
The interview ended with one of the interviewers, who had been stone-faced and robotic the whole time, saying “you won't hear from us .You'll be hearing from UAC directly”. Instead of saying “okay, lovely” like a normal person… of course I say, “okay, love you!”
my god

Though it wasn't technically last week, I will also announce that I got an interview offer for the University of Western Sydney. I was so happy and felt so fortunate, since I had really thought my ATAR would have been fat, far, too below threshold.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to undertake the interviews as I'll be in Japan.
I was devastated having to emailing them back with a declination. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I'm a bit angry with myself, though.

School
Last week was pretty uneventful, save for our trip to Albury. It's scary to think exams start next Wednesday (well, Thursday for me, thank God). That being said, I haven't done much of the work I admitted needed doing.
I do feel a bit guilty. Unfortunately that guilt isn't quite enough to spur me into action.

What's to come
This week we have our last day of school, our “celebration day” and graduation dinner.
It's a hugely busy week in terms of the non-academic. I have to prepare four outfits this week!

Again, I'll keep this entry short as we are all busy. I'll save all the reflections and feelings for next week, when we are truly finished.

I hope you all sincerely enjoy this week - especially those of you setting foot into your high school classes for the last time.
Quote from: Confucius
A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions.

♡ Subjects ♡

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #146 on: December 08, 2018, 03:15:58 am »
+21
Long time no see! I'm writing from Seoul, South Korea with just under a week left until ATARs drop.
I took a bit of an unintended hiatus from my journal due to exam study and traveling abroad. I thought now was probably the best time to make an update to recap what has happened and to record my feelings about what is to come.

Exams
Psychology
I was pretty confident and felt happy overall with my performance. I did miss a 3-mark question I forgot to come back to in SA… I didn't notice it until I was just nonchalantly flipping through the exam booklet before writing time was up. Oops.

Methods
I feel quite ashamed to admit that I really dropped the ball with math. I kind of gave up on studying and didn't even have my reference bound until the day before the exam. Contrary to popular opinion, I actually thought exam 1 was easier than exam 2 because despite having notes I just didn't get the questions in the tech-enabled exam.

Chemistry
I thought I did okay in Chem. I left a few questions and half assed some others but I feel okay with it. Mainly because those questions were ones I knew that without help, I would not have been able to complete. I hope I did a decent enough job.

English Language
I thought I wrote a killer Section C. I'm not sure about Sec B (maybe it was a bit repetitive) but my weakness was, and always has been, section A. I had trouble with the final question and hope I did a good enough job to land marks in the rest. Fingers crossed.

Overall
I don't feel amazing about how I went, but I don't regret it or feel like I let myself down. It was how it was and I'm okay with that.

Overseas
I've been having a great time so far! I won't go into too much detail but so far we have visited:
Osaka, Toyonaka, Mino, Nishinomiya, Kobe, Amanohashidate, Miyadzu, Sakai, Nara, Kyoto, Tokyo, Yokohama, Nagano, Yudanaka and Seoul!
I've seen long lost friends, had snow monkeys run around my legs, boiled in streaming onsen hotsprings, hiked through mountain temple trails, slept in both amazing and appalling accommodations, made mini tatami mats, hand-dyed scarves, eaten endangered Japanese eel and even somehow attended an international rotary convention!

If you are going to Japan or S. Korea soon send a message my way because I have lots of advice to give!

ATARs
Not long now. I posted on the actual thread, but my prediction is now a hopeful 99.10.
Anything above 99 would be amazing. I'm not sure if I can get it but for now I'll stay hopeful.
In terms of emotions, I generally haven't really thought about the 14th in much detail until now! I've been keeping myself busy. But most of all, I know there's nothing I can do about it so it's almost like old news!

My back ups have also changed! I have decided that pharmacy might be a better path for me to take as opposed to medical imaging.
The universities I'm now hoping for a place in are: UNSW, UQ or (potentially?) UTas.
It won't be long until I can tell you more about that!

Good luck to everyone else and take it easy this week!!
I'll be checking in again soon!

♡ Subjects ♡

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2018, 03:43:37 am »
+19
2 sleeps until ATARs drop!
I thought I'd update again considering my previous post was a bit short and that this time of year is the most exciting for us ATARNotes users - it's in the name!
Off topic but yesterday I had the honour of seeing Kai (Kim Jong-in) and Chanyeol (Park Chanyeol) of EXO!! It was a complete surprise and I just happened to be in the particular shopping mall they were filming a reality television show (Return of Superman) in! I have stated on here before that EXO is my favourite group so it was an amazing, surreal experience!

Preferences

Since they have actually changed somewhat dramatically!
VTAC
1. 3800539051 - Science (Chancellor's Scholars) (University Of Melbourne (The), Parkville) (phat chance smh)
2. 2100211401 - Biomedical Science (Medical) (La Trobe University, Bendigo)
3. 2100111401 - Biomedical Science (Medical) (La Trobe University, Albury-Wodonga)
4. 2800611241 - Pharmacy (Honours) Scholars program/Master of Pharmacy (Monash University, Parkville)
5. 2800611221 - Pharmacy (Honours)/Master of Pharmacy (Monash University, Parkville)
6. 3200231081 - Medical Radiations-Nuclear Medicine (RMIT University, Bundoora)
7. 3800538271 - Science (University Of Melbourne (The), Parkville)
8. 2800328451 - Science (Monash University, Clayton)

I officially removed Monash medicine from my course preferences. Kind of sad, but I figured nothing would come out of having them there. I guess I have come to fully accept that outcome. I think that's a positive thing.

Medical radiations is still on the list but I've added in pharm! A bit of unprecedented change, but now I wonder why I didn't consider it sooner. I like the idea of medical radiations leading to a practical occupation but I wasn't super mad on the idea of ~advanced physics~. Not only does Pharmacy appeal to my love of Chemistry, have practical career outcomes and fit snug in the health sector, it reminded me of an interest I've always had: drugs! Sounds a bit weird, I know, but I literally have the Drugs.com app on my old phone, and used to read pages upon pages on Wikipedia about (specifically) antipsychotic medications. I Every medication I have taken, I have read the leaflet included (even my contraceptive implant - which I googled since they don't give you one!)
I'm really stoked about this as a backup option. The idea actually came when I was looking at UQ! Read the QTAC spoiler tab if you are wondering why
P.S. I got Monash Guarantee! (Yay)
UAC
I'm just roughing it because of UAC's stupid operating hours bs. From memory:
UNSW Med
USyd Science/MD (fat chance lol)
Griffith Provisional MD
USyd Art/MD (??)
there may be more idk I'll update if so

So JMP and WSU (sad times) are no more. I'm still clutching on to the little hope I have for UNSW. It would be amazing if I got an offer but every time I imagine it I get rejected.
SATAC
I don't even want to talk about SATAC and SA unis. I elaborated fully on another forum but essentially I was disqualified from rural entry to UAdel because I submitted my stat dec a week late - I didn't know there was a deadline. But, actually, SATAC sent me a confirmation letter nonetheless so I thought it was all good. I had to email the head of admissions at the University to find out what had happened. I know it's my fault but, seriously, finding out you were unfairly disqualified due to not reading one email properly is just so… (I'm still rural can't you just process the damn document????)
Nonetheless…
1    314552    Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery        University of Adelaide
2    314553    Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery (Bonded Medical place)        University of Adelaide
3    214941    Bachelor of Clinical Sciences/Doctor of Medicine        Flinders University
4    114831    Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (double degree with Flinders University's Doctor of Medicine (MD) in the Northern Territory)        Charles Darwin University

So… Flinders? Don't know if I'll get the ATAR rip.
QTAC
Bachelor of Medical Science (MD Provisional Entry for School-Leavers) - full-time    233422
Institution: Griffith University, Gold Coast Campus
Doctor of Medicine (MD) (Provisional Entry for School-Leavers) - full-time    721302
Institution: The University of Queensland, St Lucia/Clinical Schools   
Doctor of Medicine (MD) Provisional Entry for School-Leavers (Bonded Medical Places) - full-time    721402
Institution: The University of Queensland, St Lucia/Clinical Schools   
Bachelor of Medical Science (MD Provisional Entry for School-Leavers) - full-time    228272
Institution: Griffith University, Nathan Campus
Bachelor of Medical Science (Griffith MD Provisional Entry for School-Leavers) - full-time    013231
Institution: USC, Sunshine Coast
Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery - full-time (Closed)    317012
Institution: James Cook University, Townsville Campus    (Not eligible but I'm not wasting a change of preference to kick it off the list)

Griffith has a pretty high ATAR. I was once confident I could get that but recently not so much. I'm thinking UQ is most likely. It's a 7 year (minimum) deal in which you have to do a UQ undergraduate degree of your choosing before progressing to medicine. Courses that fulfilled my “practical career outcomes” criteria included nursing, speech pathology, physiotherapy, occupational therapy and pharmacy. It was by considering each of these courses carefully that pharmacy entered my radar. I thought about putting UQ pharm as a preference but I figure is be better to do it at Monash if I don't get a provisional medicine offer.
I'd really love to go to Griffith or UQ especially because my uncle's family lives in the area. Fingers crossed!

ATAR Day

If our flight isn't delayed, I'm due to touch down at Tullamarine airport a mere 20 minutes before our main event.
It takes a while to disembark, though, so I wonder whether I'll be too busy to check. I've also considered waiting until I got home (probably three hours later) to find out my results because I would be more comfortable. If you read my UMAT result day experience you might know why I'm a bit concerned. The cons of doing so would probably be missing the hype (lol) and having to wait knowing my ATAR is there. My mum's also going to be with me so she'll probably pressure me into opening it asap, too…
If any graduates want to give me their opinion I'm all ears!

Which first?
I actually replied to a thread on this saying I would “absolutely” open my study scores before my ATAR, trying to appeal to the conventional wisdom that “baby steps”. Now, however, I'm not so sure.
I figure that if I open my study scores first I'll analyse them and try to predict what my ATAR is, which probably would just add to the stress. I can just see myself going “oh god… 35, 35, 35, 35…? That's totally an 80…” and freaking myself out. Seeing the big picture would just be like ripping off the band-aid. It might sting but at least it's over - the pain from tugging at the tape adhered to skin and delaying the inevitable is unneeded!
So, despite my own advice, I think I will just go for ATAR first. I can get over that and then tackle the next problem: will I get over 25 for methods?

Disclosure of results
Despite feeling that I would like to keep my results private, I have never been in a position to do so. In my family, amongst my friends and in my school I have always been expected to disclose my results - usually, of course, because they were “good”.
I guess it's pride and fear of failure wanting me to keep it to myself.
Of course, I won't. ATARNotes won't be hearing long to hear of my results either! I'm happy about that though. To be honest, I think that I'll have a mixture of excellent results, above average results and maybe some below average. I think that's okay and if I can be an example of “I didn't do so good in this, but I worked to my strengths and this is what I achieved”, i think I'll be proud.

I'm not sure about a reaction video or anything. I'm not much of an exhibitionist so I doubt I will. I think perhaps a Facebook post is the extent of broadcasting I'll do.

Things to do
I'll probably be changing my preferences!
If need be, I'll head to school to discuss with my careers counsellor (I also need to return a library book lol). She has been an amazing support to me this year and seen me at my worst, so if things go belly up (e.g. I get 24 or below for math) I know she can help me.

I'll also probably coerce my mum into a celebratory dinner (despite spending all our money overseas!!). Even pizza would do. In any case, I don't think she will want to cook so a dinner out is probably in order.

I also got an offer for accommodation at Monash that I have to provide documentation for within 7 days. Hopefully by that time I might have a better idea of whether letting the offer lapse is okay!

Pre-ATAR advice

Distract yoself
Honestly, I have barely thought about results day. The thought of it isn't even that sickening. I think my calm is generally attributed to the fact that I went overseas and have been living my best life (lol) without a care in the world! In some ways, it also showed me that I could obviously lead a fantastic life if all failed. It has also grounded me and shown me what really matters.

Be productive
As an extension of that, though, is to distract yourself wisely. I could have easily spent a whole month working, watching YouTube/Netflix and partying with friends. But doing that would just cause me to question myself: what are you doing with your life!? That's what I did every school holiday! Doing something meaningful and productive made me feel so much more at ease

Don't talk about it
To be honest, despite what you may think, no-one wants to talk about it. It drives me up the wall trying to explain to my mum that the ATAR is just not an appropriate topic of conversation (with her or between my friends and I). It's like talking about a breakup. Before it happens, you don't want to talk about what it is going to be like, you don't want to give reasons to other people - it's between you and your partner. When it happens, you don't want dialogue. Whether you took it badly it you took it well, there is the “too soon” factor.  But most importantly, all breakups are different and everyone's reaction is different. It's a touchy subject… don't touch.

Have something after the ATAR to look forward to
That way, you can have an endpoints to your ATAR saga and walk away happy.

I'll probably update Saturday! Stay tuned and best wishes to everyone.
Quote from: Corrie Ten Boom
Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 10:42:06 am by sarangiya »

♡ Subjects ♡

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #148 on: December 12, 2018, 11:24:50 am »
+7
Quote from: Sarangiya
Medical radiations is still on the list but I've added in pharm! A bit of unprecedented change, but now I wonder why I didn't consider it sooner. I like the idea of medical radiations leading to a practical occupation but I wasn't super mad on the idea of ~advanced physics~. Not only does Pharmacy appeal to my love of Chemistry, have practical career outcomes and fit snug in the health sector, it reminded me of an interest I've always had: drugs! Sounds a bit weird, I know, but I literally have the Drugs.com app on my old phone, and used to read pages upon pages on Wikipedia about (specifically) antipsychotic medications. I Every medication I have taken, I have read the leaflet included (even my contraceptive implant - which I googled since they don't give you one!)
Pharmacy is so much fun from what I hear around campus! ^-^
I too read up about drugs/medications all the time, but I personally love that there's an entire medicines handbook containing all sorts of information about medicines/drugs available on the Australian market! Unfortunately pharmsci don't use it much, but I always see the pharmacy kiddos studying it in the cafeteria during lunch! :)

All the best with results though, I reckon you have done amazingly well!!! ^-^
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

geek123456

« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2018, 12:41:22 pm »
+8
Loved reading your journal throughout the past months..bit sad that this journal is coming to an end soon but I wish you the very best of luck for your results :)
Hope to read more entries through your university journal next year!