Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:52:57 pm

Author Topic: Y11 to Y12 transitional period - what to do?  (Read 1215 times)  Share 

zbolland

• Trailblazer
  • chocolate milk aficionado
  • Respect: +15
Y11 to Y12 transitional period - what to do?
« on: September 29, 2020, 07:14:20 pm »
Hey there!

As the title suggests, I am unsure as to how I should approach this 2-week holiday period in regards to school work. Obviously, there is no new content to be learnt (unless I wanted to go ahead) and there is nothing to review from Y11. Thus, I have found myself in the odd position of having no clue how to 'best prepare' for the upcoming, treacherous journey that is Y12.

How should I best prepare during these holidays (what should/could I do)?

Should I just relax?
Aim: 98 ATAR (Bachelor of Commerce/Law at USyd + Future Leaders Scheme)

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
Re: Y11 to Y12 transitional period - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 07:30:24 pm »
+7
It’s important to take a break and relax so you are energised and ready for year 12 as year 12 can be quite stressful and intense

If you want to get ahead on the content you could do a bit of studying and familiarising yourself with some of your subjects and the concepts . You should read through and familiarise yourself with the study design so you know what to expect and you could read through your textbook . You could also attend atar notes head start lectures
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 08:06:12 pm by Chocolatepistachio »

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 08:13:59 pm »
+10
Hey there!

As the title suggests, I am unsure as to how I should approach this 2-week holiday period in regards to school work. Obviously, there is no new content to be learnt (unless I wanted to go ahead) and there is nothing to review from Y11. Thus, I have found myself in the odd position of having no clue how to 'best prepare' for the upcoming, treacherous journey that is Y12.

How should I best prepare during these holidays (what should/could I do)?

Should I just relax?
Hey zbolland!
Congratulations on completing Year 11! I asked this exact same question when I finished Year 11 too :)
Just adding onto the advice given above.
Here is my advice for during the holidays:
~~Remember to have a well deserved break as well! ;D

🌴 Prepare Word documents ready for your notes in Year 12:
Organisation is key for doing well in Year 12, so creating these in advance will ensure you are prepared for the content when you return to school after the holidays.

🌴 Download and print out all syllabi for your courses:
The syllabus is a document many students neglect, but I recommend you always refer, structure your notes and understand your syllabus, as the examiners cannot ask you anything outside of what is in the syllabus!

🌴 Establish what your "Why" is for doing well

Here is my advice for during the school term:
💡 Read and take notes a class or two in advance:
This way when in class, you can understand content more thoroughly hence ask specific questions on the content you found confusing

💡 Be consistent with your notes and review sessions:
For Example, if you cover a certain dot point topic in class, during a study period or for just 30 minutes that night write up notes on the topic, then watch YouTube videos or other resources to consolidate your understanding.

💡 Regularly do past HSC questions:
As you go through the course content, regularly do past paper questions, I especially found this SO helpful because once I learnt a certain concept, I would go and do a past HSC question to solidify my understanding of the content. Once it came around to HSC Trials, I felt I had gained a holistic understanding of not only course content, but also how to answer exam-style questions. This is like an extension of the concept of being "consistent" throughout the year.

💡 Detail in assessments:
In assessments, make sure you use the correct terminology in a concise manner in order to access the high bands and always be willing to go the extra mile. This will help your marks.

My final advice would be --> Just be consistent throughout the whole year (this means, learning ahead of the class, do past HSC questions often and ask as many questions as you can think of)

Goodluck with Year 12! You'll smash it ;)
Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 09:18:25 pm by Coolmate »
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 09:42:25 pm »
+7
I 100% agree with Coolmate.

I think you should DEFINITELY relax and take a break. You won't be getting much once you start Year 12!

The most important thing you can do is organise. Get all your binders and stationery and folders ready. But also clean and organise your laptop or whatever device you use for schoolwork. Things such as creating folders for 'resources' or 'essays' etc. for each topic/module of each subject. I like to be specific in my folder naming, for example, I'll go from English Advanced > Common Module: Texts and Human Experiences > Common Module Essays > and then I'll have a folder for each essay (e.g. 2019 HSC Common Module Essay), since I like to make a new document for each draft.

Also, if you're not using your school email for school (sounds obvious but lots of people still use their personal email), switch now!!! It makes everything easier. (If you already use it you can ignore this next part). Not only do you have unlimited storage on your Google Drive (well more than that measly 15 GB on your normal Google account), you won't have to switch accounts to access Google Classroom or email teachers. Plus the school email on Google Drive provides a 'Priority' section which lets you organise and access important documents super easily.

Get all your documents for your notes and stuff formatted and ready to go. I am very nitpicky when it comes to formatting my notes, so I made sure I did it all during the holidays to avoid wasting time. Make documents for notes of each topic/module of each subject. Make documents for study timetables, term planners, your Trial study timetable, heck, even your HSC study timetable (far, I know). Make documents for vocabulary, context, detail, evidence, etc. GO CRAZY

PRINT OUT YOUR SYLLABI LIKE CRAZZYYYYYY. No one ever said HSC was going to be eco friendly. The number of syllabi I have printed out this year... countless. When you are learning the content, ALWAYS refer to the 'learn to' part of the syllabus. It's not all about content; it's also about the skills. What are you going to do with that content? Know it all.

I hope this helped, and good luck with Year 12 !!!
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

zbolland

• Trailblazer
  • chocolate milk aficionado
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 05:05:25 pm »
+2
Couldn't have answered my question any better. Thanks, everyone!
Aim: 98 ATAR (Bachelor of Commerce/Law at USyd + Future Leaders Scheme)