Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 02:15:02 am

Author Topic: Difference between b. Arts and b. Science  (Read 4136 times)

_OwO_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Difference between b. Arts and b. Science
« on: January 10, 2020, 10:07:36 am »
Hey I’m trying to pick between b. Arts and b. Science at usyd.
They offer basically the same majors I want to do so, what is the differences between these two courses?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 11:16:43 am by _OwO_ »

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Difference between b. Arts and b. Science
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 11:34:23 am »
+1
Hey I’m trying to pick between b. Arts and b. Science at usyd.
They offer basically the same majors I want to do so, what is the differences between these two courses?

P.s. i’m trying to choose between:
Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Dalyell)
And
Bachelor of science and advanced studies (advanced)

Help would be appreciated

Hey, _OwO_!

The Advanced Studies aspect of your degree will be the same across both but the nature of the Arts and Science degrees come down to their respective faculties and units. If you're majoring in say History, Arts would be where it falls under. Conversely, if you're majoring in Food Science, it makes much more sense that it would be under Science. You could take electives that cross between the two faculties but ultimately, your major should be under the faculty it belongs to (majoring in American Studies under Science doesn't make sense, and same goes with majoring in Infectious Diseases under Arts).

As for which one you should pick, it depends on what major you would like to do. What were you thinking of majoring in for your study? That could help me answer your question a little better  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

_OwO_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 02:57:31 pm »
Hey Angelina I’m still not quite sure what to choose ...
I am thinking choosing a visual arts major and something along the lines of biology (I know it’s a random mix  ;D)

Also what’s the difference between a major and an “honours subject area”?? 

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 10:01:35 pm »
+1
Hey Angelina I’m still not quite sure what to choose ...
I am thinking choosing a visual arts major and something along the lines of biology (I know it’s a random mix  ;D)

Also what’s the difference between a major and an “honours subject area”??

Hey again!

If you decide to pursue something in visual arts, then the Bachelor of Visual Arts/Advanced Studies option would be ideal. On the other hand, anything in biology would align more with Bachelor of Science (majoring in whatever you decide to major in)/Advanced Studies. If you're struggling to decide, I'd recommend getting in contact with some of the staff members taking the units of those areas you're thinking of heading into. They can give you some more insight into what their classes offer and that might help you figure out where your passion lies!

An Honours subject area is taken up as an extra year once you finish your Bachelor's where you submit a thesis in your majored area (so this is more for long term if you're thinking of pursuing further study)  :) Let me know if that helps and if you have any further questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music