Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:47:26 pm

Author Topic: Non-Formula Sheet Required Knowledge  (Read 5370 times)  Share 

BradMate

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Non-Formula Sheet Required Knowledge
« on: March 12, 2017, 07:32:32 pm »
Hi,

I have begun 'serious' study today for maths (half yearlies aren't till beginning of April), and have found myself constantly needing to refer to my HSC and Prelim. textbook for formulas that aren't on the Formula Sheet. Everything in the Prelim. and HSC course will be assessed except for inverse trig, which is our only remaining topic to study. Has anyone crafted a factsheet of formulas ranging from basic 2u stuff to more complex 3u that isn't on the formula sheet. If so, is there any chance you could send a link? I would appreciate this so much! Thanks
Note -- I also do 4u, so if anyone has a factsheet for that, that they're willing to share I would be forever in your debt.

Good luck to everyone for their upcoming Half Yearlies.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Non-Formula Sheet Required Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 09:20:01 pm »
+1
Aside from all the geometry theorems, the formula sheet has virtually everything you need. This is because every other thing you may need can be easily derived OUT of what you've been given.

For example:
- The other two Pythagorean trig identities can be derived out of the given one
- The double angle identities can be derived from the compound angle identities
- Your parametrics stuff can be easily derived given the equation of the tangent and normal (e.g. point of intersection etc.)
- Projectile motion stuff is pretty easy to derive from first principles. The results \(\ddot{x}=0\) and \( \ddot{y}=-g\) shouldn't be hard to just write down (if for some reason you need them)

One that I might be more cautious about is \( \sin^{-1}x+\cos^{-1}x=\frac{\pi}2\). That's the only one I can easily generate off the top of my head, and it's inverse trig.

4U:
Know your roots of unity formulae and everything related to de Moivre's theorem. There's also a bunch of formulae to note down in the mechanics topic, but that's only if you're up to there. And of course, integration by parts formula.

BradMate

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 10:49:24 pm »
+1
Alright sounds good, thanks mate :)
I didn't quite realise I'd be able to derive the vast majority.
But yeah our 4u HY only has Complex, Polynomials, Graphs and Conics so won't have to worry about Mechanics for now.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 10:52:20 pm »
This is just another reason why that reference sheet is nothin but trouble ;) welcome to the forums Brad! Best of luck for your upcoming exams ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 06:58:25 am »
Worthwhile mention in conics don't forget your elementary formulae like eccentricity, foci/directrices, parametrisation, asymptotes

Polynomials you should just know all your theorems, like geometry

BradMate

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 10:36:39 pm »
Hi sorry, I did mean to respond. Thanks Jamon, I appreciate all of the guidance you've provided on this forum -- I've taken many little tips and tricks from your posts and am testing them all out now as I prepare for half-yearlies (beginning on Monday for me).

Also thanks Rui for the advice with the maths, sounds great. I also appreciate the help you've given me through your posts :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 10:40:41 pm »
Hi sorry, I did mean to respond. Thanks Jamon, I appreciate all of the guidance you've provided on this forum -- I've taken many little tips and tricks from your posts and am testing them all out now as I prepare for half-yearlies (beginning on Monday for me).

Also thanks Rui for the advice with the maths, sounds great. I also appreciate the help you've given me through your posts :)

Best of luck with the upcoming exams Brad!! Be sure to send any last minute questions our way ;D