Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:18:24 pm

Author Topic: Anomalies and incosistencies  (Read 12198 times)

dani01

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
Anomalies and incosistencies
« on: October 16, 2019, 11:20:11 am »
Ok so my teacher just sent me some feedback on a common mod essay to a question i did on inconsistencies and anomalies and she's confused me.
What exactly IS an anomaly and inconsistency in the human experience?
I know its a behaviour outside the norms but could someone just give me like a clear example. Now I'm really stressing

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Anomalies and incosistencies
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 11:55:55 am »
+3
Ok so my teacher just sent me some feedback on a common mod essay to a question i did on inconsistencies and anomalies and she's confused me.
What exactly IS an anomaly and inconsistency in the human experience?
I know its a behaviour outside the norms but could someone just give me like a clear example. Now I'm really stressing

Hey, dani01!

I personally think the "anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistencies" part of the rubric to be really roundabout way of just saying that human experiences can be complex. At the base level, those concepts are just being used to help you view human behaviour and motivations are not always determined by a singular experience. They are, rather, a combination of multiple factors and experiences that cause conflict, tension and seek resolution as a result. I've defined them as below :)

Anomalies- things that deviate from what is standard, normal, or expected.
Paradoxes- things that combines contradictory features or qualities
Inconsistencies- things of which fail to remain constant

I give the same examples whenever someone asks about this since I find them the best at illustrating these concepts clearly. For anomalies, I would look at how the titular character in Billy Elliot enjoying ballet as anomalous. This passion he has is something that subverts what we consider "standard, normal or expected" in terms of gender. My favourite example of a paradox is Danforth from The Crucible who is a judge who misjudges. Since his actions, behaviours and motivations contradict what a judge, who is supposed to be a morally righteous and justice-driven leader, embodies, his character can be considered paradoxical. As for inconsistencies, I think the "two plus two equals five" slogan we see in 1984 shows how the media indoctrinates beliefs which may be false, and therefore inconsistent, with the truth.

The examples above evidence that human experiences are bound to be complex and that engaging in these ideas can strengthen our understanding of how the world works and what it means to be human. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music