Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:57:28 am

Author Topic: Business Studies: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 5733 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
Business Studies: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« on: October 09, 2018, 11:55:09 am »

This thread is for all exam related discussion. Was it easy? Was it hard? What did you get for 'that' tough question?? Feel free to pop any and all of your thoughts below.

If you don't have an ATAR Notes account yet, no stress! Register for free here!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:43:02 am by jamonwindeyer »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
Re: Business Studies: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 01:35:13 pm »
Guys not gonna lie, left the exam with a smile on my face until I opened up HSC Discussion.

Question 27 - “Explain the influence of globalisation on the interaction of price and quality”, is a MARKETING question and NOT OPERATIONS :((.

Actually depressed, also slightly angry that they didn’t specify a KBF. But after looking at the syllabus i think they should still accept/give some marks to an Operations-based essay since ‘globalisation’ is an OPERATIONS influence and not marketing. Also ‘quality’ is an operations performance objective. Also they didn’t specify so shouldn’t that mean they made it broad purposely to allow us to talk about it in whichever way? Ok maybe I’m just trying to justify my loss of 20 mark HAHAHAHA OH WELLS. :’(.

What do you guys think about that question?

HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

Nadia Parker

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 01:39:15 pm »
Nah im with you on that question. Chances are most of the state would've assumed it was an operations question so hopefully the markers will be lenient

Also this is really dumb but for the multiple choice questions do you remember if they asked for transforming or transformed resources?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 01:41:14 pm by Nadia Parker »

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 01:45:40 pm »
Guys not gonna lie, left the exam with a smile on my face until I opened up HSC Discussion.

Question 27 - “Explain the influence of globalisation on the interaction of price and quality”, is a MARKETING question and NOT OPERATIONS :((.

Actually depressed, also slightly angry that they didn’t specify a KBF. But after looking at the syllabus i think they should still accept/give some marks to an Operations-based essay since ‘globalisation’ is an OPERATIONS influence and not marketing. Also ‘quality’ is an operations performance objective. Also they didn’t specify so shouldn’t that mean they made it broad purposely to allow us to talk about it in whichever way? Ok maybe I’m just trying to justify my loss of 20 mark HAHAHAHA OH WELLS. :’(.

Didn’t do the HSC this year but this question screams marketing to me. I don’t think you’ll be penalised too harshly (or penalised at all) - the question seems very open to interpretation and could’ve allowed for either marketing or operations.

It’s over now anyway!!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 02:46:12 pm »
Favourite exam I have ever sat!
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 02:52:05 pm »
What did everyone think of those messed up section 4 questions???
They were so bad. I did the financial mgt one and only got 3 pages  :'(

Otherwise, not a bad exam. Section.3 was a gift section i had 7 pages for it and the SA section was solid too
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

FutureLawStudent

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 04:10:02 pm »

They wanted everyone do to finance, so made Q27 quite hard, as my teachers told me they would.

They didn't specify the KBF because they wanted syllabus knowledge. Also Globalisation is a marketing learn to - "explain the impact of globalisation on market". I think ops was needed, however, if your essay was an operation essay, I would brace yourself for a mark below 12, maybe around 8 at the lowest.

I'm glad I knew finance well.

FutureLawStudent

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 04:12:39 pm »
Nah im with you on that question. Chances are most of the state would've assumed it was an operations question so hopefully the markers will be lenient

Also this is really dumb but for the multiple choice questions do you remember if they asked for transforming or transformed resources?

It was transformed, which is materials, information and customers.

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 04:55:35 pm »
They wanted everyone do to finance, so made Q27 quite hard, as my teachers told me they would.

They didn't specify the KBF because they wanted syllabus knowledge. Also Globalisation is a marketing learn to - "explain the impact of globalisation on market". I think ops was needed, however, if your essay was an operation essay, I would brace yourself for a mark below 12, maybe around 8 at the lowest.

I'm glad I knew finance well.
Didn’t do the HSC this year but this question screams marketing to me. I don’t think you’ll be penalised too harshly (or penalised at all) - the question seems very open to interpretation and could’ve allowed for either marketing or operations.

It’s over now anyway!!

Saad. Business was always my strong subject :(. But oh well it’s over hopefully internals can make up for it smhh.
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

cjr2000

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 05:22:00 pm »
What do you think the Band 6 cut off will be?

superjerry12

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 05:22:52 pm »

I wouldn't worry. The question is half operations half marketing. Globalisation itself is pretty interchangeable and you could have approached it from an operations perspective - then linked to the marketing aspects of price and quality. 

JakeHSC

• Fresh Poster
  • Hello, can't wait to HSCya later.
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 05:32:00 pm »
Saad. Business was always my strong subject :(. But oh well it’s over hopefully internals can make up for it smhh.

I feel the exact same way!
I wrote my whole essay about operations, except one sentence mentioning price points (marketing).

I also walked out of the exam feeling happy but when i checked the HSC facebook discussion group everyone was saying: "lol the kids who wrote about operations for the marketing essay... RIP 0/20" :(

Honestly i'm quite upset and angry since business was my strong subject... but no point fixating on this mistake, still have 2 more exams i can make up for it.

I wouldn't beat your self up over this, i feel that if you wrote a structured essay with strong links to a case study, then you'll still do ok  ( really hoping that this will happen with me).

Hope this cheers you up :), i'm also secretly glad i'm not the only one! ( and i bet hundreds of others also wrote about operations)

FutureLawStudent

• Trailblazer
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 06:20:33 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about section 4. It reminds me of 2015, when they gave a slightly harder operations question and a very straightforward finance question.  I say that ops was harder because many kids wouldn't be able to demonstrate why it gave them a competitive advantage (cost leadership/differentiation).

This was that on steroids. Price/quality interaction is a small element of the syllabus, and t no one guessed they would ask it, let alone the impact of globalisation on it. The question was, in my mind impossibly hard. Like it was one of the hardest case study questions in the syllabus. Why?

People are really bad at finance. Apparently the difference between the averages of the two 2015 S4 essays was something around 4 (8 v 12 iirc). The average for the state in the finance question was 8. People suck at finance, they get scared, they don't know what to do, and they turn to the other question. This year, it was much harder to do so. You turn to the other question, and its harder. NESA are trying to challenge students with harder exams, and require more critical thinking. This is a textbook example of them doing so.

The average will be very low.

I think it became clear that finance was going to be asked again when the cohort performed poorly in 2015, however, they weren't going to ask it the year after, and in 2017 the Social Studies/Humanities Inspector made a huge point of telling their exam boards to write unexpected exams, so they gave similar essays for a second year in a row in 2017.

The markers may be generous, they may not. But you are in company, I personally estimate that more than half the people that chose 27 will have written significantly about operations. Yes it is a marketing strategy, but ops does have a role to play, and they might view operations as valid material. No one knows, and I expect there will be a very very very long briefing session in the marking centre. But an ideal answer would an explanation about how PQ interaction was affected by globalisation at three companies.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 06:24:41 pm by FutureLawStudent »

parallaxd

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 06:33:26 pm »
I only just realised that the finance question was probably asking about the 'global market influences'part of the finance section and not the 'global financial management' part. Did anyone else write about global financial management??
HSC 2018: English (Advanced) [90], Mathematics [97], Mathematics Ext 1 [46], Physics [88], PDHPE [92], Economics [90], Business Studies [94]

ATAR: 98.40

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 06:51:07 pm »
I only just realised that the finance question was probably asking about the 'global market influences'part of the finance section and not the 'global financial management' part. Did anyone else write about global financial management??

The finance question was definitely orientated to global market influences so: availability of funds, global economic outlook and interest rates.

However, if you tied in the global financial strategies as a response to the global market influences then that is 100% fine.

Not sure about a sole essay on global financial management strategies though. Think that is a bit debatable but would love to hear other opinions!
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW