Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:15:49 pm

Author Topic: Modern History: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 5046 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
Modern History: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« on: October 09, 2018, 11:53:55 am »

This thread is for all exam related discussion. Was it easy? Was it hard? What did you get for 'that' tough question?? Feel free to pop any and all of your thoughts below.

If you don't have an ATAR Notes account yet, no stress! Register for free here!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:37:52 am by jamonwindeyer »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

caitstar123

• Trailblazer
Re: Modern History: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 04:17:53 pm »
I found the test quite good to be honest, however multiple choice really confused me!

I chose the 'army' question for Germany and argued that they were largely responsible for Weimar's collapse. I also chose the 'Dday' question for conflict!

Alsooo totally rushed part b for my personality (Speer)- so annoying!! but I think I got my point across..

Overall, I thought it was good  :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 04:39:53 pm by caitstar123 »
English Advanced | English Extension 1 | Mathematics | Chemistry | Dance | Modern History |

ATAR goal: 95

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 04:27:58 pm »
Well.... I am not good at modern history exams. i get in there and forget everything.....
Section I - thought it was fine except forgot what the spring offensive was for 5 minutes.....
Section II - Germany question was easy I thought... Just about the army being the reason for the collapse of the republic
Section III - 10 marker was fine as basically recount. 15 marker didn't apply to my personality but I didnt know how to disagree to it so..... bad!
Section III - conflict in pacific - just couldn't remember more than one british tactic....

good job everyone!!! long exam = very sore hand....
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 04:29:49 pm »
Multiple choice was confusing - the hardest modern multiple choice I've ever done.
National study and personality study were good  :) Although I had to kind of rush my personality as I was beginning to run out of time, so I didn't get as much detail as I would've liked, but overall I still think that response was good.

My conflict study was the tricky one. The question threw me off a bit as I knew the dot point but they only asked for one aspect of it, not the whole thing, so I had to almost cut my essay that I had planned in half. But I chucked in a paragraph that I realise in hindsight now that I didn't need, which really wasted time. I was already short for time. That essay had no structure, jumped all over the place and was basically just a ramble of a mess of ideas. I panicked.

This has been the first exam thus far that I've really not felt 90% about because of a few questions and it sucks  :-\ I guess I just have to put it at the back of my mind now and wait and see. My internal mark is really strong so I need to keep telling myself that if I get worried.

But other than that, okay exam  ;)

2018 HSC

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 04:47:12 pm »
Yeah. It was a bit hard to work out exactly what the questions were trying to ask butt....

I am sure you will be fine. just need to move on to the rest...

ITS OVERRR!!!!
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

ambermurry098

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 04:55:12 pm »
What was the first multiple choice answer?!? I originally put camaraderie but then thought danger suited the situation more.... pretty sure it was wrong YIKES

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 05:00:21 pm »
Danger kinda makes sense but it was not like they were in danger exactly.... They were eating 🙄

I put comradery.....
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

caitstar123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 05:03:09 pm »
Danger kinda makes sense but it was not like they were in danger exactly.... They were eating 🙄

I put comradery.....

I literally had no idea for that... can't remember if I put D but I think I did. Also, did anyone choose 'war of attrition' for one of the other MC questions?
English Advanced | English Extension 1 | Mathematics | Chemistry | Dance | Modern History |

ambermurry098

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 05:13:16 pm »

I put comradery.....

Yeah after I walked out of the exam I knew I messed up hahahaha everyone I spoke to also put camaraderie. So annoyed I wish I just left my original answer  :(

ambermurry098

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 05:15:06 pm »
I literally had no idea for that... can't remember if I put D but I think I did. Also, did anyone choose 'war of attrition' for one of the other MC questions?

Was that for one of the sources talking about Ludendorff spring offensive? I'm pretty sure I put attrition for one as well... hoping it was right  :-\ :-\ :-\

caitstar123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 05:16:36 pm »
Was that for one of the sources talking about Ludendorff spring offensive? I'm pretty sure I put attrition for one as well... hoping it was right  :-\ :-\ :-\

Yes I'm pretty sure!! My friend put it as well. It seemed most logical.

Also, what did everyone say about the reliability of the sources??

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 05:17:38 pm »
Yeah well.. don't beat yourself up about it..... Not sure what I put for source D. Changing tactics maybe...
Hopefully internal ranks pull it up...  :)
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 05:33:50 pm »
Ok so Section 1 was rough. I didn't understand the cartoon source and I found it difficult to relate that picture of the soldiers sitting a shell hole and the question on trench warfare- I think I talked about the shell hole. I'm hoping that I added enough detail in Section 1.

Section 2 was alright- my teacher told us to never do an army question for Germany because there's not enough information so I did the question on propaganda, terror and repression, which was actually the exact same question I did in Trials, just slightly different because the question here focused on changing German society.

Section 3 was a nightmare. I've never seen a question on three key ideas. I know they tend to ask about three key events though. I talked about Leni's values that shaped her life (her struggles, motivation and desire to capture the aesthetic). As for Part B, again, difficult. I partially agreed with the statement but my thesis was how Leni's weaknesses shaped her positive and negative contributions rather than overshadowing her positive contributions and talked about her three main films: The Blue Light, Triumph of the Will and Olympia.

Section 4 was alright. The questions were the exact same questions as my Trial ones (if my teacher didn't give us a replacement question). I chose the question on impacts on civilians. I talked about the impacts of the close proximity of the war to British and Soviet civilians (in 2 separate paragraphs) for social and the impact of rationing on British civilians and the impact of industry enterprises on Soviet civilians- both for economic. I'm kinda worried the markers can't read my handwriting because I rushed my last body paragraph because I panicked when I saw there was 10 minutes left. I'm also a bit worried that I didn't do a lot of assessments.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

ambermurry098

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 05:55:25 pm »
Ok so Section 1 was rough. I didn't understand the cartoon source and I found it difficult to relate that picture of the soldiers sitting a shell hole and the question on trench warfare- I think I talked about the shell hole. I'm hoping that I added enough detail in Section 1.

Section 2 was alright- my teacher told us to never do an army question for Germany because there's not enough information so I did the question on propaganda, terror and repression, which was actually the exact same question I did in Trials, just slightly different because the question here focused on changing German society.

Section 3 was a nightmare. I've never seen a question on three key ideas. I know they tend to ask about three key events though. I talked about Leni's values that shaped her life (her struggles, motivation and desire to capture the aesthetic). As for Part B, again, difficult. I partially agreed with the statement but my thesis was how Leni's weaknesses shaped her positive and negative contributions rather than overshadowing her positive contributions and talked about her three main films: The Blue Light, Triumph of the Will and Olympia.

Section 4 was alright. The questions were the exact same questions as my Trial ones (if my teacher didn't give us a replacement question). I chose the question on impacts on civilians. I talked about the impacts of the close proximity of the war to British and Soviet civilians (in 2 separate paragraphs) for social and the impact of rationing on British civilians and the impact of industry enterprises on Soviet civilians- both for economic. I'm kinda worried the markers can't read my handwriting because I rushed my last body paragraph because I panicked when I saw there was 10 minutes left. I'm also a bit worried that I didn't do a lot of assessments.

I felt pretty much the same. I think WW1 multiple choice was kind of hard, especially in comparison to past papers that I had done where there is (usually) an obvious answer. I didn't quite understand the cartoon either.... I put breaking the stalemate for it though lol I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was wrong.

I was talking with my teachers after the exam and they were also confused about Part A for personality, it was very unorthodox. Although I did Speer, my line of argument was whether his weaknesses overshadow his positive contributions varies in relation to the context his work is viewed and is entirely dependent upon historical interpretations. Felt like it was more a history extension essay tbh, hope it makes sense to the marker.

Honestly felt quite disappointed in what I produced in the exam, was hoping for a very high band 6  :-\ :-\

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 06:00:16 pm »
I didn't quite understand the cartoon either.... I put breaking the stalemate for it though lol I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was wrong.
yeah. i did the same..... hope its right...
the more i think about MC and the whole exam the worse i feel  :-\
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!