Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:44:44 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3612810 times)  Share 

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #6810 on: October 27, 2015, 07:19:46 pm »
Isn't it cloning using the nucleus from an embryonic cell (stem cell)?
So you have a nucleus donor - you remove the nucleus out of an embryonic cell of a particular animal (Animal A) and you take an enucleated (no nucleus) egg cell from another animal (Animal B) and put Animal A's nucleus into Animal B's egg cell.
The resulting individual will have the exact genetic makeup as the nucleus donor (in this case, Animal A).

:)

Thank you. Got a few qs:

1. Do we need to know about the types of stem cells? (totipotent, pluripotent, multipotent?) Or what about embryonic stem cells and somatic stem cells?

2. How much do we need to know about embryo splitting? Is it just that the embryo cells are split into two, using a think glass needle in the laboratory, and these two cultures are implanted into surrogate females?

2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Scopus
« Reply #6811 on: October 27, 2015, 07:49:53 pm »
Thank you. Got a few qs:

1. Do we need to know about the types of stem cells? (totipotent, pluripotent, multipotent?) Or what about embryonic stem cells and somatic stem cells?

2. How much do we need to know about embryo splitting? Is it just that the embryo cells are split into two, using a think glass needle in the laboratory, and these two cultures are implanted into surrogate females?

1. Yes you need to know those three as well as the difference between Adult and embryonic stem cells

adnauseam

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6812 on: October 27, 2015, 08:24:22 pm »
Pheremones- do they only act on same species, or different species?
thanks

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6813 on: October 27, 2015, 08:27:58 pm »
Pheremones- do they only act on same species, or different species?
thanks

Same species

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6814 on: October 27, 2015, 09:00:16 pm »
1. Yes you need to know those three as well as the difference between Adult and embryonic stem cells

can you give me the differences please?

grindr

• Forum Regular
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #6815 on: October 27, 2015, 09:31:56 pm »
Question was: which cells in the body are affected by a mutation that was inherited. (something like that)
I wrote germ line cells

Answer was gametes/sperm

Is this acceptable or not?

pra96

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • IILAERNA-WLMKIOMN
« Reply #6816 on: October 27, 2015, 10:17:25 pm »
Question was: which cells in the body are affected by a mutation that was inherited. (something like that)
I wrote germ line cells

Answer was gametes/sperm

Germline cells are the cells that become gametes, and hence any mutations in germline cells are passed onto gametes. But depending on the exact nature of the question, germline cells could be acceptable.

But given that gametes and germline cells are not the same thing, and depending on the exact question, the answer may have to be gametes. VCAA would probably only accept gametes as it is less vague than germline cells.
2015- Biology [41]  2016 goals- [45+] PCSME

sushibun

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #6817 on: October 27, 2015, 10:18:56 pm »
I wrote germ line cells

Answer was gametes/sperm

I would accept it
gametes and sperm differentiate from a germline cell
A germline cell might've had a mutation during DNA replication and this was passed down when it went through meiosis and produced gametes/sperm.

pra96

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • IILAERNA-WLMKIOMN
« Reply #6818 on: October 27, 2015, 10:25:56 pm »
Hey could anyone explain the way in which the immune system rejects transplanted organs? in terms of t cells, b cells etc. Also the effect immunosuppressant drugs have on the immune system to stop rejection. pls 😢
2015- Biology [41]  2016 goals- [45+] PCSME

grindr

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6819 on: October 27, 2015, 10:55:58 pm »
Hey could anyone explain the way in which the immune system rejects transplanted organs? in terms of t cells, b cells etc. Also the effect immunosuppressant drugs have on the immune system to stop rejection. pls 😢

Immune system rejects transplanted organs through NK cells and Cytotoxic T cells. these cells check the markers on the transplanted cells, recognises them as foreign and then: Tc cells release perforin into the cell to puncture its membrane, NK cell tells the foreign tissue to lyse itself (I believe)

Immunosuppressant drugs work to repress the function of Ct cells so that they cannot reject the transplanted tissue. However it does suppress the whole immune system so the immune system of person is weaker

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6820 on: October 27, 2015, 11:02:08 pm »
Immune system rejects transplanted organs through NK cells and Cytotoxic T cells. these cells check the markers on the transplanted cells, recognises them as foreign and then: Tc cells release perforin into the cell to puncture its membrane, NK cell tells the foreign tissue to lyse itself (I believe)

Immunosuppressant drugs work to repress the function of Ct cells so that they cannot reject the transplanted tissue. However it does suppress the whole immune system so the immune system of person is weaker

I just want to add that you don't need to know about suppressant drug specifically

CarterGray12

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #6821 on: October 28, 2015, 01:20:06 pm »
When talking about evidence relating to inheritance, are we allowed to say/should we say something is "proven"? I am somewhat hesitant writing it because with experimental design we can never say "proves" just that it "supports". For example, if an affected individual has no affected parents, would we write that it proves recessive or just supports it?
2015: Biology
2016: English | Methods | French | Chemistry | UMEP Biology

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6822 on: October 28, 2015, 01:23:09 pm »
+1
When talking about evidence relating to inheritance, are we allowed to say/should we say something is "proven"? I am somewhat hesitant writing it because with experimental design we can never say "proves" just that it "supports". For example, if an affected individual has no affected parents, would we write that it proves recessive or just supports it?

A hypothesis is never proven, never write proven. Always write,  'in order for the hypothesis to be supported, ....'

grindr

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6823 on: October 28, 2015, 04:23:24 pm »
The answer is A.

I dont't understand why, could someone please help?

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6824 on: October 28, 2015, 04:28:20 pm »
+3
The answer is A.

I dont't understand why, could someone please help?

A. No trick here, simple as if you trigger the sensory hair, it's called 'sensory' hair suggesting that it's actually the receptor of the stimulus. So when the hair is stimulated, the action potential will be passed down to the motor neurone, and this will activate the effector muscles to retract. Also, no mention of the inhibitory neurone is mentioned when the sensory is activated, so no further conclusions can be made.
B. If you cut the sensory neurone at point J, then the stimulation would not be passed onto the motor neurone because it does not pass the point of J, so B is incorrect.
C. If the point K is cut, then the effect of the inhibitory neurone does not alter the function of the excitatory neurone, so there actually will be retraction.
D. If they are stimulated at the same time, then their effects would 'cancel' out because one actives and one inhibits, so they are like positive and negative, neutral.