Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:53:49 pm

Author Topic: Literature Essay Compilation Thread  (Read 77362 times)  Share 

SheriSingsALittle

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Mac.Rob
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: Literature Essay Compilation Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2014, 01:27:53 pm »
+6
Hey guys, I don't know whether this thread is still running, but I think it's great we have a place to share lit essays. Anyway, here's an essay on Antony and Cleopatra that I'm willing to share, even though it really isn't much! :P It was a response to one of my SACs at school.

The divisions within Antony are emblematic of the divided world as he attempts to negotiate a self. Discuss.

Through the characterisation of Antony as a man precariously caught between the sensuous, decadent discourse of Egypt and the honour bound, logically blunt words of Rome, Shakespeare presents the palpable tensions between the two realms as the centrepiece of the play. Antony’s subconscious acceptance and repudiations of different aspects of the Roman and Egyptian binaries within the formation of his identity, result in his inability to inhabit a world so vehement in the categorisation of its inhabitants, which brings his ultimate downfall. Yet, paradoxically, it is also this same duality of values that gives Antony’s character depth and complexity. Thus, Shakespeare critiques the imposition of binaries and boundaries upon society and self, suggesting that these dangerously constrict one’s identity and limit one’s agency.

Shakespeare’s grandiose creation of Egypt immersed within passion and infinite expansiveness through its language and imagery, presents Egypt as the extremities of indulgence. The hyper-sensory description of Cleopatra’s entrance, evoking the vivid colours of “gold”, “silver” and “purple the sails”, the sweet scent of “a strange, invisible perfume” and the tangible softness of “silken tackle” and “those flower soft hands” in the sound of velvety long vowels and crisp t’s, gives the scene a sensuality and liveliness that elicits feeling within the audience, drawing them into this exotic, beauteous realm. Through the idyllic gracefulness and harmonious beauty of the scene, Shakespeare implicitly affirms the passion and livelihood of Egypt. Indeed, Antony’s expansive, eloquent language shows his acceptance of the Egyptian lust and passion. His divine exaltation, “for the love of Love and her soft hours” luxuriates in similar long, soft vowels, which accompanied by the enjambment of the lines, gives it a sense of flowing that mirrors the fluidity of Egyptian nature. Cleopatra’s entwinement with the elements to the point where the elements seem to defy natural laws to etherealise her, making her “burnished throne/burn on the water” and “her sighs and tears… greater storms and tempests”, combined with the unearthly transformation of Cleopatra’s subjects into “smiling Cupids” and “mermaids”, suggests that the Egyptian realm transcends mortal constraints to occupy a space of infinite proportions. However, unlike nature’s elevation of Egypt and Cleopatra into power, Antony cannot seem to fully assimilate with nature, as he is tied down to the world by his value of the Roman honour and pietas, and “the nobleness of life”, ultimately leaving Antony without elemental power in Egyptian discourse. The apocalyptic imagery of Antony’s “good stars… former guides/ Have empty left their orbs”, and the symbolic “rack dislimns and makes itself indistinct” mirroring Antony’s loss of concrete identity provides a stark contrast to the grandeur that resulted from Egypt’s conflation with nature. Thus, through the dramatization of Antony as Egyptian, but not completely imprisoned within the definition of that nation, Shakespeare challenges the strict dichotomies of society.

In direct opposition to the vibrancy of Egypt, Shakespeare’s Rome is encased within incarcerating institutions and an obsessive will to conquer, evoked through its formal, structured discourse and passionless imagery, rendering Rome the extremity of logic and discipline. The Roman discourse is punctuated with the language of pietas through “experience, manhood, honour” and “the article of your oath”, as well as conquest and wars evoked through “sword”, “kingdom” and “blood”. The measured beat, enacted by the hard consonants that seem to periodically appear within Caesar’s language, in “Pompey, good night. Good brother”, clipped by excesses of punctuation, evokes the strict disciplines of war inherent within everyday discourse. The controlled monotony of Agrippa’s “Her love to both/ Would each to other and all loves to both” and Caesar’s “join our kingdom and our hearts” with the almost mechanical repetitions of “love” and “hearts”, and invocations of colonial “kingdoms” even within a discourse of “love”, exposes Rome’s entrapment within its imperialistic strictures, which render them unable to express honest human emotion. Furthermore, the logicality of Rome inhibits its ability for a broader, expansive view of the world, suggested through the contrast between Cleopatra’s majestic entrance and Octavia’s arrival as a poorly “market maid to Rome”, a “castaway”.  Even in the imaginations of a grand entrance, Caesar is held back by the intrinsic ties of Rome to the language of combat, rationality, and transaction, where the dullness of “an army for an usher”, and the unromantic “neighs of horses… tell her approach”, further illuminate the monotony and mechanical nature of a Romanised lifestyle.  The subsequent dehumanized atmosphere of Shakespeare’s Rome, devoid of freedom and emotion, distances the audience from the rigid Roman discourse and propels them into the open arms of Egypt, thus expressing the playwright’s repudiation of the Roman lifestyle, which quells the human spirit.

Within his discourse, Antony is perceived to value the Roman codes of pietas, through his invoking of “[his] greatness… [his] power” and “the honour [that] is sacred”. However, he transcends the imposing strictures of the tight Roman discourse, broadening its possibilities through the expansiveness of his language and imagery, which permeate from his Egyptian self. Antony’s conflation of the decadence and fluidity of Egypt with the moral, honorific words of Rome, results in a new form of discourse that broadens the possibilities of Roman language with Egyptian expansiveness, breaking the discursive limits that govern the world he inhabits. His grandiloquent declaration "Let Rome into Tiber melt" conflates the Roman concern for empire in “Rome” and “Tiber” with the vivid imagery of a natural disintegration of “melt” rather than a Roman ‘fall’ or ‘break’. The cosmic proportions of “The next time I do fight/ I’ll make Death love me” evokes both Roman war and Egyptian emotion coexisting within the identity of Antony to depict a momentary potential for greatness. Through the beauty and complexities of Antony’s multivalent language, Shakespeare affirms the value of extending beyond the boundaries of dichotomous society to explore one’s true self.

However, Antony’s vacillating identity cannot be sustained within the brutal binary of the world, and thus Antony tragically “becomes his flaw”, spiralling towards his end. In the conflation of Roman war and Egyptian emotion in the Battle of Actium, Antony comes out in humiliating defeat, as his potential as a great Roman leader, exalted as “triple pillar of the world” and “plated Mars”, is overridden by his Egyptian indulgence in passion and lust after Cleopatra “like a doting mallard” overcome by primal instinct. It is only through his death that he is able to combine the two extremities, through the dualities of the intent of his suicide, for the Egyptian desire to “o’ertake… Cleopatra” in death and forever be with his love, but also for the redemption of his pietas, which was lost in the “disgrace and horror... [of his] command”. He dies by his own sword, “a Roman by a Roman/valiantly vanquished” and thus is killed in the honourable Roman way of combat, and yet the words upon his death depict a raw emotion and sincerity, through the simple tenderness of “carry me now, good friends, and have my thanks for all” and “Gentle, hear me”, which is unconstrained by the mechanistic Roman discourse. Thus, through the tragic death of Antony, a man who embodied potential greatness his breaking of barriers and invention of personal, freeing discourse, Shakespeare highlights the tragedy of a world constricted by imposing binaries and discursive limits, as it is these divides which stifle one’s identity and takes away their agency. ((I THINK I REWROTE THIS PARAGRAPH IN THE SAC, THE ONE HERE IS A BIT MEH...)

In this play, Shakespeare centralises the tensions between the binaries of Egypt through the characterisation of Antony as a man embodying both in varying degrees. The resultant downfall but the imaging of complexity and potential greatness ultimately asserts that these boundaries set upon society and self tragically bring one’s doom.

Hope this can help someone somewhere!

kandinsky

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2014, 01:03:57 pm »
+2
For what it's worth:

1.   8-9 Elizabeth and the Baronetage
2.   29-30 Anne reflects on her having been persuaded.
3.   193-194 Anne and Mrs Smith discuss Mr Elliot.

A lexicon of miscomprehension – “folly” and “ignorance” - pervades the dialogue of Anne at the opening of Passage Three, striking the reader for its bluntness in telling of the difficulty of “having much truth left” when in Regency Society facts pass through the hands of so many. This forms a powerful contrast against Elizabeth’s personification of the Baronetage as “an evil” in the first passage, where indications of body movement – “with averted eyes…pushed it away” are inserted by Austen to convey how the book is itself a physical emblem of the social restrictions of women. This same feeling of societal confinement is carried across into Passage Two; in the hyperbole of Anne that the breaking off of her engagement with Wentworth “clouded every enjoyment of youth”, and the repeated stress on time indicated by the constant use of the pluperfect tense – “had seen”, “had softened down much” - the reader notes how curbing inner desires to the dictums of common decorum results in an endearing turmoil within. Though civility is essential to human dignity, Austen admonishes that we must never allowed it to subdue the irrepressibility of individual human sentiments.

The deleterious consequences of forgetting this are that we are left lost in both the social and the moral sphere. The satiric delineation of social context in Passage One, where the comic absurdity of Elizabeth being “not quite equal her father in personal contentment” morphs into her “disappointment” of not having been “properly solicited by baronet-blood”, directs the reader to see how the pursuits of the aristocracy are without proper utility, and thus useless in the broader framework of society. And the diction for social gratification embodied in Austen’s characterisation of the young Mr Elliot, “agreeable”, is striking for its evident praise of outer decorum and neglect of inner worth. The reader is to recall the unctuousness of even the young Mr Elliot in the dialogue of Mrs Smith in the third passage, where the careful pauses of her dialogue (“Mrs Smith paused a moment”) indicate the very great import of the information she is providing to Anne – information which will by the denouement of Persuasion result in Anne’s rejection of artifice and acceptance of realism as embodied in the navy. Our lives might be better lived, Austen suggests, if we, like Anne, were to place rationality and integrity above folly and façade.

But even such an understanding has its limits. Mrs Smith throughout Passage Three refers to the importance of “acquaintance” not only in the sense of it being between individuals, but also between social groups and classes. And the centrality in her dialogue of Bath – “coming to Bath”, “came to Bath” – reflects the importance of social gatherings in a Georgian world where one’s acquaintances are the only modus by which to acquire news. And the repetition of vocabulary denoting social obligation throughout the first and second passages – “domestic habits”, “maintaining the engagement”, “he had distinguished himself” – connotes the authorial approbation of those who pursue lives with a dual commitment to the necessities of selfhood and the obligations of society. In Persuasion as a whole, Austen suggests that existence must be crafted not only by duty to the self,  as is evident in Elizabeth’s self-centred dialogue in the Passage One, but also a duty to the community and by extent the nation. Much of the novel revolves around the notion of service to others, and Anne in Passage Three rejects her father’s desire that she attend the Dalrymples’ function in favour of her visit to the socially inferior Mr Smith. Austen moves then to capture how it is not mere duty that gives an individual worth, but the underlying values which give that duty substance; truthfulness and reason such as that of Mrs Smith and Nurse Rooke are required to ensure not only the integrity of the individual, but also the reliability of civilization itself. We can easily renounce our obligations to others, but Austen suggests that in so doing we would lose touch with reality – our lives would become as meaningless as our own social irrelevance.

Yet this deference to social norms is nevertheless destructive to the inner self. The authorial insistence upon age in Passage One, evident in the maxim that “it so happens that, a woman is handsomer at twenty-nine than she was ten years before”, alerts the reader to the underlying irony of the scene: the empty verbiage of Elizabeth bemoaning the appearance of her family members – “Anne haggard, Mary coarse” – alerts the reader to a certain simmering tension, where the true effect of age on Anne is not in the physical withering, but in the inner recline it is causing, which by the third passage will be on the growth again. It is also in the geographical transitions of Anne evident in the passages, from Kellynch Hall in the first two passages, then to Lyme as mentioned and Bath in Passage Three, that Austen constructs an increasing independence in her heroine. By freeing herself from the geographical limitations of Kellynch Hall, Anne is able to gain a physical but also an inner freedom. It is in the syntactic vigour and brevity of Anne’s dialogue in Passage Three, and its sharp discrepancy with the heavy sentences of Passage Two, that we see Austen’s approbation of those who are able to challenge the stifling limitations of intransigent social sets. Our lives are fruitless if we are without the audacity to go beyond the comfort of our own parochial sphere; humanity can only attain a wholesome and fulfilling existence if it does not hide in safety, but delves in search.

From this we can begin to comprehend the earnest suffering of Anne in the early stages of Persuasion. In the narrative ambiguity of “they knew not each other’s opinion” in Passage Two, Austen reflects on the stifling social convention which prevents Anne and Wentworth from discussing or referring to Anne’s having been persuaded by Lady Russell. The syntactic complexity of the passage, pervaded with constant dashes indicating emotional turbulence of Anne, and the repetition of “she did not blame…she did not blame”, indicate the equivocation of Anne in believing that she was right to have allowed herself to be persuaded. And the awkward conditional phrase that “she should yet have been….than she had been” reflects Anne’s difficulty in comprehending the possibly limitless “sacrifice” she has made of herself in having yielded to Lady Russell. It is in this ambivalence of emotion, punctuated with the anaphoric economic qualifiers “the usual share…a usual share of all such solicitudes”, that Austen reminds that our true emotions do not manifest under the guise of syntactic order, but only under the semblance of an evident inability to control language.

It is because of this that we must never depreciate the importance of the individual within society. In the authorial characterisation of Anne’s vision of the world – “she thought very differently from what she had been made to think at nineteen” – the reader perceives the importance of individual thoughts and sentiments within the scheme of Persuasion. And this same approbation of individual sentiments, rather than those of the whole community, is evident in the dialogue of Mrs Smith (“you will soon be able to judge of the general credit due [of her information]” in Passage Three and the authorial projection of Elizabeth’s individual vicissitudes in the first passage. Austen suggests that even the obligations of civility can succumb to the entropic powers of the self, as the individual is able to penetrate through these restraints and conventions. Austen is therefore never hesitant to affirm the freedom of the individual within the schema of societal cohesion. It is not the conventions of society which restrict us, but our reaction to them; society is an affirmation of, and not a prison for, our individual existence.

* please note that this was an early essay and there are issues; for instance, I repeat myself all through the final paragraph.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 05:21:05 pm by kandinsky »

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2016, 03:34:57 pm »
Is this thread still active? I'd love to read some more stuff you guys wrote. These are all super interesting to read, esp. because there is no structure in Lit so everyone's essays are so different and amazing.

qazser

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2016, 03:47:35 pm »
+1
Is this thread still active? I'd love to read some more stuff you guys wrote. These are all super interesting to read, esp. because there is no structure in Lit so everyone's essays are so different and amazing.

This is where the Prem Awardees in Lit hang out, these essays are very classy  ;D

Only doing Lit 1/2, maybe share some of yours  ;)
AN Chat: Hop On!

2016:Methods[   ]

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2016, 02:38:51 pm »
It's because they're so classy that I want to read them. They make an interesting read. I seriously wish there were more essays to read though... :'(

I wish. But I can't, for two reasons:
a) My essays are nowhere near as classy
b) My school has a strict rule that prevents me from making any of the essays I write and submit to my teacher (be it SACs or practices) publically available whilst I'm still a student. The only reason there are some of my essays floating around AN for English is because I never submitted any of those to my teacher so there was nothing to stop me from posting it.

qazser

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2016, 10:17:56 pm »
It's because they're so classy that I want to read them. They make an interesting read. I seriously wish there were more essays to read though... :'(

I wish. But I can't, for two reasons:
a) My essays are nowhere near as classy
b) My school has a strict rule that prevents me from making any of the essays I write and submit to my teacher (be it SACs or practices) publically available whilst I'm still a student. The only reason there are some of my essays floating around AN for English is because I never submitted any of those to my teacher so there was nothing to stop me from posting it.

That's a rule and a half, maybe create a Lit vocab thread and we can bounce vocab and structure off there :)
AN Chat: Hop On!

2016:Methods[   ]

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2016, 11:28:28 am »
That's a rule and a half, maybe create a Lit vocab thread and we can bounce vocab and structure off there :)

I think that's a great idea since I feel as though my vocab is suffering in lit!
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

bianic

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2016, 05:42:48 pm »
+3
VIEWS AND VALUES - The Cat's Table
This is not even close to as good as some of the other essays here. But hopefully it helps someone in someway.

In his novel The Cat’s Table, Michael Ondaatje contrasts the importance of a sense of adventure, childlike disposition and risk with the importance of sensibility and the rite of passage. The sense of childlike wonder can be seen through all the boys but is most clearly portrayed through Cassius and Michael. However Ondaatje also portrays the importance of responsibility and coming of age through characters such as Mrs Lasqueti, Ramadhin and even Michael. The juxtaposition and the switching between the endorsement of both these conflicting ideas is perhaps Ondaatje’s way of representing the difficult but important of the rite of passage and releasing childlike innocence to embrace ‘maturity’.
In the Cat’s Table, Ondaatje uses Mrs Lasqueti in an almost ironic manner to epitomise the importance of maturity and an analytical perception. On the ship the three boys created a fantastical and imaginative tale of wonder surrounding the prisoner on board which was futher encouraged by Flavia Prins. However their image of the prisoner is soon shattered by the mysterious and individualistic Mrs Lasqueti who challenges Michael to “never believe what might just be a rumour”. Ondaatje uses this slight destruction of their joyous imagination portray to the readers a sense that whilst child-like games have their place it is important to hold an objective and factual perception of the world around oneself. Conversely Ondaatje does not seem to endorse Mrs Lasqueti’s character as a whole. Characterising her laugh as something that “hinted it had rolled around in the mud once or twice” and attempting to show the reader that whilst it is important to hold these mature views of the world, it can result in a rather ‘dirty’ personality which is hinted in the imagery of Ondaatje’s descriptions. Mrs Lasqueti, however, is not only used for her own actions and views by Ondaatje.
Ondaatje also uses Mrs Lasqueti and other adults to contrast with the more central characters of Cassius, Michael and Ramadhin to show the conflicting positives and negatives of each of their outlooks and personalities. The boys wondrously explored the ship and all it had to offer “like freed mercury” something which Michael seems to look back on with fondness even in his adult years. This may represent Ondaatje’s view of himself as a child and the nostalgia he has attached to his open and ‘freed’ self. The stiffness of the upper class adults such as Flavia and her awkward small talk with Michael seem to reiterate the idea of adulthood being a rather dull prospect, as Michael and Ramadhin seem resigned to the fact that they will not be “interesting strangers” like Mrs Lasqueti and Mr Mazappa, which may be influenced by the adult narrator and writer, adding a sense of impending fate that may not otherwise be present in a child’s mind. Michael somehow seems to be unaware of the influence the adults around him are having, which can be seen through his unawareness that they are perhaps being led astray by some of the adults. However simultaneously Michael also seems to believe that they are “learning about adults simply by being around them” and this again adds an odd element of impending fate in that Ondaatje shows the reader the odd circumstances the boys are put in, in a way that is obvious to a mature reader but is written as a child who would enjoy and revel in these circumstances with no sense of danger or upset. It seems as through Ondaatje revels in this innocent child’s perspective yet condemns the irresponsibility of adults for not ensuring that the innocence is developed before it is exploited.

Thus through the Cat’s Table it can be seen that Ondaatje endorses the rite of passage and the importance of developing maturity, however he also seems to present the view that adulthood is mundane and holds only a few hints to the joys of childhood. Despite Michaels remembrance of the ebb and flow of childhood attention the author presents him as a typical person who lost touch with his wild friend and also his safe and soft friend until death. Cassius and Ramadhin are used by Ondaatje as foils for each other but not for the traditional purpose of contrasting just the two, rather the two are portrayed as the extremes of Michael’s own personality. The “exuberant” Cassius is to Michael the older and “self-sufficient” iconoclast. Michael often follows where Cassius leads and finds adventure and fun in such explorations. It is as though Ondaatje uses Cassius, and the ship itself, to portray the fleeting and fast paced moment in life that is the transition from child to adult, a moment of freedom from a child’s constraint before the confinements of adulthood take root. The boat is Michael’s rite of passage and Cassius is the brief, final moment of freedom. Ondaatje uses this to epitomise the susceptibility and pure joy of this moment in life, and the lasting effect it has until adulthood, which can be seen in the reflective nature of the text. However in contrast to Cassius, Ramadhin is a soft and reserved character who Michael occasionally sides with, and in the long term, stays with for the longest. If Cassius is used by Ondaatje to show the fleeting moment of freedom then Ramadhin is the moral compass and guide into adulthood that Michael takes with him once the journey is complete. He accepts that “lives could be large with interesting strangers who would pass us without any personal involvement”. Ondaatje shows the reader clearly the negative repercussions of living as Cassius does but the use of Ramadhin is more subtle. From the beginning of the text Ramadhin slowly fades from being ill, to constantly ill, to dying, to death. And this may be used by Ondaatje to portray in a more elusive manner the danger of an overly soft heart and soul. That being to reserved and safe can in fact, still leave you separated.
The end of the text, although the reader is aware that more interactions with Ramadhin occur, they are “separated, lost from each other” and each “uncertain as to wherever it was that we were going”, Ondaatje uses this ending scene to show the separation of the boys and to represent the leitmotif of the text: that although childhood is something to be celebrated and maturity is essential for life; a combination of the two, the middle ground, Michael himself is the only way to survive in peace.
Bianca
Subjects (2016): Literature | English | Legal Studies | Psychology | Business Management

Maz

• West Australian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2016, 11:36:48 pm »
+3
Hey human's
I thought about shareing my essay on A Doll's house, by Ibsen. It's on discourse and context, with a bit on reading practices. It is very long as it was a take-home extended essay. I got 88% on it, and came rank 1. Enjoy

Discourses evident within a text help to identify the social, historical, and/or cultural conditions in which a literately work is produced. Discuss with reference to A Doll’s House
By Maryam Qureshi
[/b][/b]

Ibsen’s play, A Doll’s House, presents a reflection of the world around him, allowing for a universal approach to the text, while exploring the lives of character’s, whom are trapped by social constraints. A recurring concern amongst Ibsen’s plays includes the social issue discussing the oppression of women by conventions limiting them to a domesticated life. The text showcases key aspects of society through the lenses of Feminism and Marxism and the effect the deprivation of these can have upon individuals. A Doll’s House represented the contextual issues of Norwegian society in the era of the plays publication; 1880s. Through the behavioral characteristics of control and deception, and an analysis of discourse, Ibsen in a way scrutinizes the effects of social, and cultural conditions in society, declaring himself to be ‘in revolt of against the age- old lie that the majority is always right’.

The play débuted at the Royal Theatre in Copenhagen, Denmark on the 21st of December 1879, two weeks after it’s first publication. At the time of publication the play elicited much debate centered around the abrupt deviation from cultural and social stereotypes of its characters; in particular of the play’s protagonist; Nora. This debate was not limited wholly within Norwegian society but was a universal occurrence. Subsequently, Ibsen was forced to provide an alternate ending when the play was to be performed in Germany, such that even the actor refused to play a woman who would not ‘want to see her children ’ and ‘cant stay here with you [her husband] any longer’. This path of thinking was an abrupt and shocking deviation from societies’ attitudes and values at the time. Harley Granville-Barker, a fellow playwright, commented upon the play when it finally reached the London stage, calling it, ‘the most dramatic event of the decade’. As it seemed, Nora’s abrupt departure from her ‘Doll’s House’ affected the mind of both sexes.  The perspective of feminism explores the notion of equality amongst sexes, in all of intellectual, economic and political forms. At the time of publication, this would have been an idea that highlighted the degrading view of women, and their portrayal as the ‘other, of less significance’, in real world and literature. Since the 19th century, this focus has been shifted more away from women, to a movement towards covering the degradation of both sexes equally. Prior to late 1800s, Norwegian society reflected it’s patriarchal stance through the subjugation of women. These restrictions were reflected alongside the reception of Nora’s actions by Mrs. Linde’s discourse, ‘a wife can’t borrow money without her husband’s consent’. Beside laws banning women from taking loans, women were also unable to file for divorce or vote, with exceptions to these laws were only permissible if the woman was acting under her male caretaker’s permission. Women were considered careless and incapable and thus dissolved of any power. Due to this, they were expected to stay home, urged by the stigmatization often subjected upon those who chose to deviate from society’s imposed restrictions. An idea that Ibsen explores through Nora’s dialogue ‘I passed out of Daddy’s hands into yours [her husbands]’. Here, Nora’s resistance to the idea of being passed between ‘Daddy’s’ and her husband’s hands illuminated the extent of the extreme patriarchy amongst society at the time. Since Nora’s childhood, her father has regarded her as ‘the other’, then, her father handed her to Helmer who treated her like a valued possession. This is best depicted by Nora’s self-realization towards the end of the play as she describes the truth of her marriage, ‘you arranged everything to your tastes, and I acquired the same tastes. Or I pretended to...I lived by doing tricks for you Trovold.’ As Nora describes her marriage, Ibsen represents the cultural behaviour expected to be adopted by women, incorporating; a softness of temper, outward obedience and scrupulous attention. Helmer then provides a focus to this idea through the declaration that women, in the 19th century society, were given one role, to be ‘first and foremost, a wife and a mother’. Ibsen’s intent upon the portrayal of women through A Doll’s House is clear through some notes he had made, where he clearly highlighted the anomalous position of women in the prevailing patriarchal society, ‘A women [he wrote] cannot be herself in contemporary society; it is an exclusively male society with laws drafted by men, and with counsel judges who judge feminine conduct from the male point of view’*. Thus, in closing the door on her husband and children, Nora paved the way for the women’s movement through her opposition of the expected norms in society.

Throughout the majority of the play, Nora is portrayed as the subservient wife, ready to propitiate her husband, believing him the ‘head of the household’ and her caretaker. Ibsen portrays this social norm through her dialogue, ‘I would never dream of doing anything you didn’t want me to’. Though through the surrounding conversation by Helmer, ‘All right then! It’s really just my little joke’, and ‘I know that’, it can be deduced that she is saying this out of love; this phrase is a striking representation of society at the time. Ibsen creates a representation of women as being unable to dream, let alone act upon thoughts that would potentially be against the wishes of their male counterparts; highlighting the extent of subjugation evident amongst society towards women, such that even her ‘dreams’ are being controlled and fine-lined to fit inside the boundaries of a patriarchal society. However, it is not only Nora’s dialogue that becomes a reminder of a woman’s ‘place’, but also the dialogue of her husband, Helmer. Helmer, through the progression of his life, has chosen to utilize morality and honesty in order to achieve his success, both of which have been to some extent fruitful to him, and is portrayed as a stereotypical role model in society. However, included in this stereotype is the acceptance of Helmer’s superiority over Nora, an idea Helmer exercises through the way in which he addresses his wife.  In the very first page of the play, he addresses Nora as his ‘little sky-lark chirping’ and in the proceeding pages, my ‘little squirrel frisking’ and ‘pretty little pet’. Upon analysis of these nicknames, it is evident of their substandard connotation. In all, he refers to her as an animal, substantiating society’s view of women as the ‘lesser’. Ibsen artfully couples each animal name with a verb to allow Helmer to accentuate his superiority over Nora through a reiteration of the role of women in society to be of a working nature. A fact, that Helmer chooses to remind his wife of frequently. It can also be observed that Helmer addresses Nora as ‘little’. This in a way adds a further layer to the idea of a feeble woman, who is forever under the wing of a dominant male. The extent of this superiority is realized to audiences later when Nora begins calling herself ‘it’; ‘we call it a spendthrift’. This discourse perhaps takes another level of subjugation, through likening Nora, a woman, with an inanimate object that has no feelings or personal thoughts. Through the symbolism of referring Nora to an object, Ibsen’s society is articulately reflected, through the positioning of women to be ‘conscious-less’. More astounding than this is the ease with which Nora refers to herself as ‘it’, highlighting that this discourse would have been a common occurrence.  Thus, through this, Helmer surreptitiously reminds Nora of her place as the ‘working wife’ and the ‘sacrificer’, so that he is in the domineering position to give his wife everything, except that which society at the time restricted him from giving;               
      ‘Helmer:  I would gladly work night and day for you. Nora- bear sorrow and want for your sake. But no man would sacrifice his honor for the.one he loves.
Nora: It is a thing hundreds of thousands of women have done.”

Ibsen criticizes the lack of feminine equality through careful use of discourse to portray certain character traits amongst his characters that, at the era of production would have been viewed as flaws and retardation from societal norms. To cope with the behavioral boundaries imposed from society, certain characters employed strategies in which to cope, one of these strategies being ‘control’. Examples of characters attempting to control their environment are a frequent occurrence throughout the play, catalyzed primarily by their subjugation and victimization. Ibsen displays this directly through the discourse of the female protagonist, Nora. Though Nora openly stated, ‘I would never dream of doing anything you didn’t want me to’, as the play progresses she disregards Helmer’s requests on spending less money, eating sweets and paying for her husband’s treatment. Perhaps the primary example of Nora’s need to control her environment is the reason she takes her husband on holiday. Nora believed that Helmer was in dire need of a vacation, despite Helmer making it clear that he didn’t want to go; (when Nora presented the idea), ‘being frivolous, that it was his duty as a husband not to give in to all the whims and fancies of mine’. Despite this reluctance on Helmer’s part, Nora decides to hide the true extent of her husband’s illness from him and insists on taking him, ‘It was necessary he should have no idea what a dangerous condition he was in. It was to me that the doctors came and said that his life was in danger, and that the only thing to save him was to live in the south.’ This excerpt portrays Nora’s nature, and the resultant effect of her suppression. Nora, in taking a loan out, was ready to ‘take the law into her own hands’ and becoming a ‘hypocrite, a liar, and worse than that, a criminal! Mr’s Linde is also shocked when she hears of Nora’s actions;               
 ‘Mrs Linde: Listen, Nora, are you sure you haven’t done something rash?
Nora: Is it rash to save your husband’s life?
Mrs Linde: I think it’s rash if you do it without his knowledge’      
It is evident through discourse that Nora is still oblivious to the illegality of her actions and has little comprehension of the magnitude of trouble she may be in. Conversely, the exchange becomes an illumination of Nora’s frame of thinking; for her, any method she may take to reach a particular end point is justified if the desired end point ensues.  Her approach to a dilemma is to control the situation, through bypassing any consultation that may result in an idea contradictory to hers. Nora’s statement, ‘‘I would never dream of doing anything you didn’t want me to’ becomes seemingly more and more implausible as the play progresses.                      Despite Nora’s autarchic actions, she remains unpunished. This however, changes following Nora’s fraudulent actions and her subsequent treatment of Krogstad, which prompts him to write a letter to Helmer with the intention of disclosing his wife’s actions.  It is at this stage another one of Nora’s controlled situations emerges and Nora, out of desperation searches for ways to prevent Hemler from opening the letterbox and learning of her secret. Ibsen portrays the ghastly effects of the subjugation upon women, through an exploration of the side effect of deception. Nora, when practicing her dance, turns the situation to her advantage by deterring her husband from checking the letterbox where Krogstad had placed the letter;            
 ‘Nora: What are you going to do there?
Helmer: Only see if any letters have come.
Nora: No, no! Don’t do that, Torvald!
Helmer: Why not?
Nora: Torvald, please don't. There aren’t any.
Subsequently, Nora successfully gains her husband’s attention and she begins to dance so wildly that he has to tell her, ‘Not so Fast! Not so Fast!’ and ‘Not so wild, Nora!’ Perhaps the most important discourse Ibsen utilises to present the desperation of Nora and her subsequent need to control, is portrayed through ‘Nora you are dancing as if your life depended on it’, to which she replies, ‘it does’.  This discourse accurately portrays the position of women amongst society at the time, and more importantly, the position of the wife. The negative consequences of the patriarchal society become evident as Nora finds that her ‘life depended’ upon keeping her actions a secret and ensuring her husband never discovers her mistake, and thus devises a stratagem to cover-up the action, reflecting the austere expectations for women to fit the role of the innocent and be the perfect wife; to the extent that Nora described it as a matter of life. Subjecting woman to these extreme conditions for large interludes can be described as the cause of Nora’s controlling tendencies. From a post-feministic viewpoint is can be concluded that Ibsen, through the use of discourse, illustrated the resultant effects of this severe subjugation, and thus, in doing so, provided a description of society at the time, exploring the resultant future effects of the hierarchal society in which women were enforced to conceive severe processes to cope. 

Deception is a peculiarity often associated profoundly with control, and hence becomes another subterfuge through which Ibsen echoes societal values. Ibsen articulately incorporates deception within A Doll’s House, to create a replication of the deleterious features of society and the coping mechanism’s women in the 19th century adopted as a means of ‘survival’. This innate characteristic of deception is evident within the opening of the play and becomes the first test of Nora’s honesty; a test which she fails. Helmer repeatedly makes it clear that he doesn’t approve of Nora ‘popping into the confectioner’s’. Upon Nora’s return, Helmer immediately questions her as to if she ‘forgot herself in town?’ and ‘Hasn’t miss sweet-tooth been breaking rules in town today?’ Nora immediately denies this; ‘no I assure you Trovold’, despite audiences later observing that she ‘takes the bag [of macaroons] out of her hand’, and offers them to Dr. Rank, questioning, ‘what about a little macaroon?’ To this, even the doctor inquires, ‘I thought they [referring to the macaroons] were forbidden here’. Through this discourse, Ibsen divulges that after eight years of marriage in a patriarchal society, Nora has developed strategies in which to be able to follow her preferences, while concurrently keeping her husband happy. This was a direct portrayal of 19th century Norwegian society, where women were expected to give up many of their personal preferences in order to please their husbands.                         
      Though it may be possible to overlook these ‘little white lies’, some of Nora’s deception, however, has greater consequences. Another example of Nora’s deception appears again in an interaction between Helmer;
‘Helmer; Do you remember last Christmas? Three whole weeks beforehand you shut yourself up every evening till after midnight making flowers for the Christmas tree and all the other splendid things you wanted to surprise us with. Ugh, I never felt so bored in all my life.
Nora: I wasn’t the least bit bored.
Helmer (smiling): But it turned a bit of an anticlimax, Nora.’
The audience later learns the truth about what Nora was actually doing when she ‘shut yourself up every evening’ a few passages later through her conversation with her friend Mrs. Linde, ‘Last winter I was lucky enough to get a lot of copying to do; so I locked myself up and sat writing every evening’. Despite Nora’s justification for these good-natured lies, her deceptive nature is still evident. One deceptive act translates into another, and Nora’s nature changes completely as she attempts to cope with the cultural and social values of society. The danger of Nora’s deception, however, is not fully recognized until another conversation with Mr’s. Linde when she asks, ‘Won’t you ever tell him?’ to which Nora replies, ‘perhaps one day’ and ‘Then it might be a good idea to have something up my sleeve’. It is evident through this dialogue that Nora feels no guilt or humiliation in the lengths she goes to, to achieve her way. Consequently, Ibsen once again proves Nora’s adaptability to her environment; she has learned to survive and control a situation, from the position of the beleaguered and subservient wife.                              
   Nora’s little lies continue and audiences are given the impression that she may be habitual liar, a trait even Helmer discovers;    
Helmer: Has anyone been here?
Nora: Here? No.
Helmer: That’s funny. I saw Krogstad leaving the house.
Nora: Really? Yes, that’s right, Krogstad was here for a minute.
 It becomes evident through this discourse, that Nora has made a routine of lying, to a magnitude that she doesn’t need to think twice on lying to serve her own purpose, even to those closest to her. This demeanor endures throughout the play, climaxing in Act 3, at which time Nora makes the final assertion of her departure. Though this scene has brought on enthusiastic welcome from many feminists throughout time, a deeper look indicates the real dark reason of the ‘doll’s’ abrupt departure from her house. The survival strategies Nora originally employed have evidently failed her, however, instead of changing her ways, Nora adapts to her new situation through careful modification of her strategies. She expresses this through the monopolisation of discourse and an obstinate repudiation to discuss the reasons for her departure. Her statements ‘that’s why I can’t  stay with you any longer’, ‘I’m leaving here at once’ and ‘Let me go! Let me out!’ become evidence of this repudiation. Nora then departs from her untenable situation, declaring; ‘I must stand on my own two feet if I'm to get to know myself and the world outside. That's why I can't stay here with you any longer.’ Thus, through an articulate utilization of discourse, Ibsen presents the 19th-century woman as immature and deceitful, however also displays that as time passes she becomes more able to decide what ‘is a necessity for her’. Ibsen reveals and discusses the social and cultural position of women in his context and the innate resultant instinct of survival some developed in order to achieve some happiness in the strictly patriarchal society. This progression of Nora, developing from the submissive wife who, on the surface, obeyed her husbands ‘commands’, to the emergence of a ‘new Nora’; a women who decided to place herself first, is a direct depiction of Ibsen’s society through the exploration of the concept of feminism and it’s growth some decades proceeding A Doll’s House.

Marxist readings are methods of socioeconomic analysis; and an idea that ‘actions and human institutions are economically determined, that the class struggle is the basic agency of historical change’ Ibsen’s incorporation of this reading in his work created an exploration of the evolving expectations concerning the middle class during this time in Norway. The ‘bourgeois respectability’, as it was called, incorporated ideas of financial success free of debt and a high morale patriarchal society. The play opens on a scene where Nora enters with a bare Christmas tree, carrying a number of parcels and the proceeding discourse becomes evidence of Nora’s submission to commercialism, ‘Hide the Christmas tree away carefully, Helene. The children mustn’t see it till this evening when it is decorated’. Although a minor action, through a Marxist lens the need to dress the tree can be associated symbolically with commercialism, presenting Nora as one who is being forced to submit to socioeconomic standards. This Nora further exemplifies through her quote, ‘There’s a crown. Keep the change’. Though it is openly discussed between Nora and her husband that ‘this is the first Christmas they haven’t had to go carefully’ and implied that the family has had money issues in the past, Nora gives the money to the Porter freely and doesn’t catechize for change. This is perhaps the first hint, in the play, of societal thinking, during that era. Through this quote, Nora’s deludes the Porter of the low financial position of her family and gives the illusion that they are in a better condition than they actually are. At the opening of the play it becomes evident that Nora equates freedom with the acquisition of money, believing that the only way she can be ‘carefree and happy’, is if she has material wealth. Of course this frame of thinking changes completely towards the end of the play when she realizes that money doesn’t make her ‘happy’. This exemplification of one’s socioeconomic status and highlighting the importance of it is an everlasting theme amongst literature, and subsequently, a reflection of society. According to this notion of Marxism, Nora has become overwhelmed by her surroundings to the extent that she feels no option but to submit to the socioeconomically classified society. 

Ibsen corroborates, through the accentuation of discourse, that Norwegian society during the 19th century was a manifestation of socioeconomic issues, driven by a severe patriarchal stance. The author highlight’s the effects of this frame of thinking through the deviation of ‘stereotypical’ behaviors in relation to gender, namely, Nora’s infatuation with control and deceit to escape the entrapment and subjugation placed heavily upon females. A Doll’s House is a reflection of the social and cultural norms as it deals with prominent issues that occurred during 19th century; discussing not only society’s conditions but also the resultant effects upon the subjugated. Through the presentation of the aspects of Feminism and Marxism in society, Ibsen portrays his drama as well ahead of its time by laying the foundations of the, then emerging, ‘Feminist movement’, decades before it’s actualization in the mid-twentieth century. Thus identifying the social, cultural and economic conditions prevalent in society, both during the time and beyond.

2016: Methods | Chem | Physics | Accounting | Literature

bianic

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2016, 10:13:44 pm »
+6
Jane Eyre - Creative SAC
Berta Mason - Short Story

This is not perfect but I was searching everywhere for an example when I did my creative SAC so I thought I'd pop mine up.
It scored in the top range so its at least a somewhat reliable example... Hope it helps someone. (Please ignore grammer and spelling mistakes, not my strong suit)

See attached
Bianca
Subjects (2016): Literature | English | Legal Studies | Psychology | Business Management

Maz

• West Australian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2016, 11:35:54 am »
+3
Hey, I though I would share my last long essay in Highschool :) It was an extended take home essay. I got 98% (24.5/25) and came rank 1. Enjoy :)

Examine the ways in which writers shape and adapt generic conventions to reflect and expose particular value systems. In your response, you must make reference to at least one text
Chosen text- The Great Gatsby

By Maryam Qureshi
[/b]
[/b][/b]
Set during the post World War 1 economic boom of the 1920’s, F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel, The Great Gatsby (1926), is often referred to as a chronicle of the American Dream, exploring a point of the nation’s history when capitalism and economic opportunity for all was at it’s peak. The Great American Dream incorporated the belief that anyone, regardless of where they were born, could obtain prosperity and success. Deep-rooted in the Declaration of Independence, the American Dream was the proclamation that ‘all men are equal’, with full right to ‘life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.’ Perhaps one the best works of literature, representing the American Dream is The Great Gatsby. Throughout the novel, Fitzgerald contextualizes a gripping antithesis regarding the Great American Dream, through a contrast and disclosure of societies key value systems, including the emphasis upon materialism and commodification. The Great Gatsby juxtaposes characters born in the upper echelons of society, with Myrtle and Gatsby, who attempt to transcend the class boundaries but ultimately become ‘incoherent failures’. The novel displays ‘how dreaming can be tainted by reality, and that if you don’t compromise, you may suffer’(Azar Nifisi). Fitzgerald’s text exposes the key value systems prevalent within society through an adaption of generic conventions, reflecting the misery of a modern capitalist society.

Employing the first person point of view, Fitzgerald conveys the entire story of Gatsby from the memories of Nick. Through this utilisation of Nick as first person narrator, the novel’s integrity strengthens as all key characters are neatly tied together, through Nick, in the position of ‘Daisy’s second cousin’, ‘Gatsby’s neighbour’ and ‘Tom[‘s] [acquaintance] in college’. It is arguable that, despite Nick claiming that he is ‘inclined to reserve all judgements’, Fitzgerald in essence, is providing readers with over 150 pages of judgement. Notwithstanding this confession, Nick is employed as a reliable narrator so that ‘life is successfully looked at through a single window’. Nick is taken out of any story line within the novel, hereby, creating an unswerving attitude towards the contradictions and conflicts, which drive the plot. Through ‘employing a narrator who is more of a spectator than an actor’ (Maxwell E. Perkins, editor of The Great Gatsby in a letter), Nick becomes an observer, however, not an impartial one. Consequently, through Nick’s eyes, Fitzgerald exposes the ‘ruin of society’ and degeneration of the upper echelons; as Nick depicts in vivid imagery, the ‘behaviour [of the guests] associated with amusement parks’, and the prevalence of meaningless indulgence within society.  Though this first person point of view can provide vivid imagery, Nick can’t provide detailed knowledge of other character’s thoughts and feelings. In Chapter Five, Fitzgerald employs a transgressed point of view to surpass that narrative limits on a first person narrator. Nick comments upon Gatsby as he goes ‘over to say goodbye’ and sees the ‘expression of bewilderment [which] had come back into Gatsby’s face, 'Almost five years! There must have been moments even that afternoon when Daisy tumbled short of his dreams.’ In this comment, Nick creates a supposition to Gatsby’s mind, as the statement, ‘Almost five years’, appears as though it has come directly from the mind of Gatsby. Thus, the narrator transcends the limits of the ‘I’ witness point of view. This transgressed point of view serves importantly in conveying meaning within the novel as readers find motive in Gatsby feeling ‘a faint doubt’ regarding the meeting. Focussing upon Gatsby’s feelings and actions provides Fitzgerald opportunity to idolise those with wealth and power portraying the emphasise society placed upon the wealth; contextualising the era as one with ‘parties [which] were bigger, a pace [which was faster] and morals which were looser.’                        .........Additionally to the transgression of the point of view, Fitzgerald employs shifts within the narration to view one event alongside another for long periods of time. Within The Great Gatsby, the shifts are predominantly presented in first person narration, however, they are of limited essence; being omniscient or partially omniscient. This is evidenced when Tom takes Nick to ‘see [his] girl’. As it is only rumoured and ‘insisted upon’ that Tom has a mistress, it is reasonable for Nick to utilise the omniscient view as he deems it ‘supercilious’ for him to visit Myrtle. Fitzgerald then quickly shifts Nick’s point of view to first person narrative as he becomes ‘curious to see her’. Here, this change enables the main focus of the novel’s plot to be centred around Gatsby, and not Tom, changing the attention focus more upon what Nick’s thought are, rather than the story of Tom. The shift from one point of view to another allows an observation of each character’s thoughts and feelings; sanctioning the development of plot and narrative truth. Nick becomes a vehicle for the author’s final judgement. Thus, through an adaptation of the generic convention of point of view, Fitzgerald shapes audiences to view Nick as an acumen and reliable narrator, so that he is placed in a position to successfully depict the place of commodification and materialism within society.        

Utilising the generic convention of point of view, Fitzgerald exposes the failure of the American Dream and the drive for a materialistic lifestyle, through the eyes of Nick Caraway. When Tom takes Nick to the Valley of Ashes to meet his ‘mistress’, Myrtle, Nick likens the area to a ‘wasteland’, portraying the ‘desolate area of land’ as plagued with destitution and dilapidation. Nick’s point of view of the ‘ash grey men’, allows for Fitzgerald’s exposure of the flip side of materialism, revealing the detrimental outcomes, which ensue when all items are produced to facilitate the wealthy. Despite the outward appearance of excessive wealth, only a very small minority of the 1920’s society lived the ideology of the American Dream, while a large proportion of society lived in poverty. This was perhaps the first hint of the failure of the American Dream, which incorporated the idea of all men being able to attain wealth. Society’s emphasis upon materialism is realised through the stagnated characteristic of the inhabitants in the Valley of Ashes, who Nick categorically describes as ‘spiritless and anaemic’. Despite the ‘ghastly’ description Nick gives to every other aspect of the Valley, he depicts a slightly jovial picture of Myrtle; displaying her as one of ‘perceptible vitality’ and ‘sensuous [ness]’. Notwithstanding this early optimistic connotation, as Nick spends time with her, the first person point of view begins to mock her attempts to behave as a host, describing her as ‘violently affected’. Fitzgerald reflects, through an adaptation of point of view, that society within the twentieth century placed great emphasis upon materialism and commodification. This is indicated through Nick’s mockery of Myrtle’s ‘incessant’ and ‘immoderate’ movements, revealing much about society’s values as Nick ignores her infidelity and criticizes her for only her working class pretensions. On the other hand, through a combination of point of view and characterisation, Fitzgerald exposes the American Dream as un-attainable. As Myrtle tries to move up the social rungs of this apparent ‘meritocracy’ through her association with the ‘wealthy’ Tom, she is condemned, mocked and eventually killed; positioning her as the collateral flip side to materialism. This convention allows focus upon the key value systems prevalent in society during the early twenties’; conveying a society, which valued monetary possession above all else.       

The novel provides an insight into the outwardly heady capitalist culture, exposing its dark underbelly and it’s impact upon personal value systems. The deceptive ‘inexhaustible’ charm of a life ‘full of money’ gives rise towards the decay of personal values. Fitzgerald utilizes many generic conventions to portray this ideology, however, none so powerful as the characterization of the wealthy Tom Buchannan, the bourgeois figure of the story. The ‘bourgeois respectability’, as it was called, incorporated ideas of financial success free of debt within a patriarchal society. As a member of an ‘enormously wealthy [family]’, Tom relates to the world majorly through his money, the one exception being his expression of ‘love’ for Daisy. For Tom, all things are commodities. Even his marriage to Daisy Fay was an exchange of beauty and social standing for the image of Tom’s strength, stability and power; all of which were imparted on him. This was an idea symbolized through the ‘string of pearls valued at three hundred and fifty thousand dollars’, Tom gifted to his bride-to-be. Though it is not necessary, or custom to spend excessive amounts of money on a necklace, Tom does this to draw attention to his affluence. Similarly, Tom utilizes his socioeconomic status to seduce Myrtle and his other mistresses, whom, like the guests at Gatsby’s party, are drawn to him ‘like moths to a flame’. His consistent infatuation in lower class woman can be explained through the commoditized view the world upheld in the 1920s. Tom promotes his wealth to women who are most desperate for it, satisfying himself at a level unaffected by logic, reality or the everyday world. This id level of satisfaction manifests itself in the desire to ‘purchase’ numerous working class women; including the ‘common, but pretty’ woman he interacts with, just metres from his wife. Thus, Fitzgerald, by exposing audiences to the nature of the prosperous, divulges the key value system within the hedonistic society through a reflection upon the detrimental side effects and thinking of the monetary driven.

However, ‘Tom’s commodity psychology is not wholly limited to his relationships with women’ (L.Tyson). Rather, it branches to encompass all aspects of the ‘you are what you own’ capitalist thinking exhibited through the ‘fantastic dream’ of the decade’s sustained prosperity and dizzying technological advancements. Fitzgerald conveys this key drive within society thorough an emphasis of Tom’s characterisation, incorporating the notion of Tom’s own sense of identity linked to how others see him. The importance of social status within society is disclosed with Tom’s discourse and his need to divulge the ‘nice place’ he has. Following this idea, Tom further embodies the consumerist attitude of society by mentioning that the house ‘belonged to Demaine, the oil man’, and thus, denoting that the house pedigree itself is of ‘old-money’ lineage. This convention of the wealthy displaying their wealth is evident again when Tom toys with George Wilson regarding the sale of the ‘car’. Financially, the matter of ‘sell[ing] that car’ means very little to the wealthy Tom, however, it is of great value to the impoverished George. It can be presumed that there isn’t even a ‘man working on’ the car, and Tom is merely dangling his considerable wealth in front of Wilson so he has an excuse to see Myrtle. Fitzgerald conveys the failure of the American dream, through Tom’s behaviour with the impoverished George. As the dream incorporated the idea of hard work providing success, it is interesting to observe that George, who was a ‘proprietor’ running his own ‘business’, is presented as the weaker and ridiculed, comparatively to Tom, who is given no indication of even working a day in his life and is given a position of dominance. Through this, Fitzgerald conveys the power of the upper class to the weaker class; denoting that the weaker are at the mercy of consumerist value system.  Tom’s agonistic nature becomes a medium through which Fitzgerald ridicules the American dream; disclosed through the generic convention of discourse in Nick’s description of his ‘careless [ness]’ and his tendency to ‘smash up things and retreat back to [his] money or vast carelessness.’ Though Tom is living a life most people in the twenties would consider a dream, he ends up ‘smash[ing]’ up those who wish to become like him. In Tom’s case, Myrtle’s death becomes the method of ‘cleaning up [his] mess’. Subsequently, Fitzgerald exposes the unfair nature of and the respect those with ‘wealth’ demand, through a condemnation of the values of those who are born into ‘old money’. Furthermore, Fitzgerald here again combines the generic conventions of characterisation with point of view to convey Nick’s moral judgement of tort law in regards to the negligent behaviour of the upper class; who seem to only give shallow thought towards any idea that does not have a direct influence upon them. As Nick ‘shakes hands’ with him he condemns Tom’s brutish indifference, which pertains a likeness to negligence. Thus, Tom’s calamitous recklessness is analogised to that which would be felt when ‘talking to a child’. Nick concludes that it would be ‘silly not to’ shake hands with him, portraying Tom as decrepitude, exactly like ‘a child’ would be. Thus conveying the minimal attention society, during the 1920s, placed upon anything unrelated to materialism and wealth. Through the generic convention of the characterisation of Tom, Fitzgerald exposes the excessive underlying importance society in the 1920’s placed on commodification, and it’s key place at the very core of the American Dream.

Fitzgerald critiques the consumerist lifestyle through a stark separation between key settings within the novel. These setting segregations juxtapose the classes of ‘old money’, ‘new money’ and the impoverished working class. The consumerist culture exhibited in The Great Gatsby was possible through the growth of the upper class in the early twentieth century. This growth brought with it value upon the display of wealth and an era characterised by Republican notions of rugged individualism. According to this theory, the abundant wealth in the possession of Gatsby should have ensured the outcome of the American Dream. However, one quality that undermined self-made wealth, was wealth which was inherited and the result of an ‘enormously wealthy family’. This became a point of conflict between ‘old money’ and ‘new money’; severely criticising the idea in the American Dream of the value of hard work. In a culture manifested with pecuniary emulation, the most common method in which to declare one’s wealth was through possessions. It is through the expression of the generic convention setting, that Fitzgerald exposes the consumerist lifestyle evident amongst society at the time. This notion is perhaps most evident in Louisville, where ‘the largest of the banners and the largest of the lawns belonged to the Fay house’. The intense importance of commodification is realised through the discourse of the home itself having ‘belong [ings]’, which is portrayed as desirable by also housing Daisy who is ‘the most popular of all the young girls’.  Here, Fitzgerald introduces another value system, which is prevalent not only within the 20th century, but also prevalent in the modern day. Immediately proceeding the ‘belong [ings]’ of the Fay house, Daisy is introduced in a similar fashion; exposing that women themselves had becomes possessions. This notion is supported by the generic convention of Nick’s dialogue as he describes the effect on Gatsby upon loosing Daisy as ‘his enchanted objects diminish[ing] by one’.  The Fay house is brought up again later in the novel, when Gatsby’s past is discussed. It is here again, that Fitzgerald intertwines the two generic conventions; setting and language to further emphasise upon the value society placed on commodification. The ‘ripe mystery’ of the house attracts many ‘officers’, who sensed the ‘hint of bedrooms upstairs [which were] more beautiful and cool than other bedrooms, [the] gay and radiant activities taking place through its corridors, and of romances that were not musty and laid away already in lavender but fresh and breathing and redolent of this year’s shining motor-cars…’. This sort of language can be analysed through stylistic analysis to disclose the meaning reader’s can take from the language Fitzgerald uses; ‘to find the artistic principles underlying a writers choice of language’. Within stylistic analysis is the grammatical category of Appositional phrases and romantic, evocative imagery. The sentence is saturated with words that exhibit the sheer wealth of the Fay’s highlighting the ‘beautiful bedrooms’ the wealthy possess and the ‘radiant activities’ they engage in. Everything contained in this appositive is suggestive and works to provide the compelling, ‘ripe mystery’ of the ‘golden’ Daisy, thus depicting the rich as desirable and highlighting the importance society in the twenties placed upon material wealth. Depicting the ‘ripe mystery’ of Daisy, Fitzgerald depicts her as a commodity; exposing the dehumanisation of others that results from a society obsessed with wealth.       

Whilst the Fay mansion laudably conveys the emphasis society placed upon materialistic possessions, it is only one of the many settings, which portray this. Nick notices that West Egg and East Egg are ‘dissimilar in every particular except shape and size’, driven by the need to constantly out-do one another. This competition became one of the most necessary plot drivers within the novel, as Gatsby and Tom fought for the materialistic Daisy. The Buchannan mansion, residing in East Egg, originated from families who have had money through inheritance and who have been categorically described as ‘old money’. East Egg of Long Island is a blatant representation of aristocracy and formality, accentuating the prominence of wealth in society. The setting concretizes ‘the sort of devouring, self-pleasuring and hypocritical materialism the stupendous and ruthless success of nineteenth century capitalism fostered and enabled’ .At the very beginning of the novel, Nick visits the Buchannan’s in their ‘white palace’ which he observed to ‘glitter along the water’. Coupling the generic convention of setting with language reveals the illusion of purity the house is depicted as exuding. Fitzgerald’s choice of words, including ‘white’ and ‘glitter’, are symbolically associated with angels and a notion of purity. The constant drive within society to be above others socioeconomically becomes evident, as the house is a ‘cheerful red and white Georgian colonial mansion’, affirming the cultured European taste that places them in a patrician society. This European atmosphere the house emanates is further enriched through the use of ‘French windows’ and ‘reflected gold’. The imported commodities and foreign design of the ‘palace’ provide the Buchannan’s with an image of esteem. However this directly reputes the values of the American Dream. The ‘palaces’ give rise to the presence of class within society, an idea which directly relates to the old aristocracy present in Britain; a doctrine which conflicts with the egalitarian republic set-up of America. However, even the Buchannan mansion gives rise to the failure of the American Dream.  This is better depicted through the ‘tumultuous scene’ created from the ‘wreck’ of Owl Eyes’ drunken car crash. Tom emphasises that the house originally belonged to ‘Demaine, the oil man’, which provides Fitzgerald a deft and unobtrusive method by which to convey that the emphasis society placed upon material wealth that had attained a corrupt level. The notion of oil being a reactant in destruction is again depicted when Myrtle’s life is ‘violently extinguished’. Myrtle’s death brought with it the shocking spectacle of her left breast ‘swinging loose like a flap’ after the accident, exposing those who attempted to gain wealth as debased, disfigured and violated. Thus, to hide the failure of the American Dream and expose the materialistic nature of people in the early twentieth century, Fitzgerald draws upon Europe and ‘old’ history creating a façade to dignify and hide the dangerous value systems prevalent within society.

In contrast, West Egg as a setting is an emblem of the nouveau riche, depicting the vulgar and gaudy division of society in the 1920s. As the ‘less fashionable’ of the two eggs, the inhabitants of West Egg lack social graces and are consumed by a ‘raw vigour that chafed under the old euphemisms’. Perhaps the most ludicrous of all settings within The Great Gatsby is Gatsby’s own mansion and the location of his flamboyant parties. The mansion is described as a ‘colossal affair by any standard’, imitating ‘Hotel de Ville in Normandy’ and exposing Gatsby’s all too obvious efforts to create a façade of sophistication. This exemplification of one’s socioeconomic status and highlighting the importance of it is an everlasting theme amongst literature, and subsequently, a reflection of society. The mansion, like the Buchannan house, is a symbol of excess wealth containing a ‘tower on one side, spanking new under a thin beard of raw ivy, and a marble swimming pool and more than forty acres of lawn and garden’. The use of large multi-clausal sentences describe the numerous “bedrooms swathed in rose and lavender and silk and vivid with new flowers, through dressing rooms and pool rooms and bathing room with sunken baths’, the house contains. However, despite this and the ‘celebrated people’ Gatsby fills it with, the Gatsby mansion appears ‘lonely’ and lacks the elegance and sophistication present in the Buchannan house. Emphasised via the plural language, Gatsby’s mansion is filled with fatuous assets, which hold little meaning, depicting the failure of the American Dream as Gatsby creates a hollow imitation of his wealth. The need for a monstrous façade to obtain happiness is depicted as pitiable, and through Nick’s eyes, Gatsby’s quest for his ‘green light’ is romanticised. According to this notion of consumerism, Gatsby has become overwhelmed by his surroundings, to the extent that he feels no option but to submit to the socioeconomically classified society. However, even when he does, he is still considered as an outsider by his guests, many of whom leave ‘without having met Gatsby at all’. Through this Fitzgerald not only reveals the value system of materiality which was of major prevalence within society, but, also depicts the failure of the American Dream, as even the ‘Great’ Gatsby, who embodies the description of wealth, is still treated as an outsider since he is not of ‘old money’ lineage.

The opening of Chapter Three provides a sensory depiction of Gatsby’s parties. Fitzgerald describes the scene as one of uncontained debauchery where inhabitants are driven purely by the pursuit of pleasure. Although Gatsby’s house is ‘full of people’ and a container for hoards of wealthy positions, it is spiritually empty, exposing the hollowness of the American Dream. Fitzgerald describes the party with an air of excessive consumption as the ‘buffet tables’ are ‘garnished with glistening hors –d’ouevre spiced backed hams…and turkeys bewitched to dark gold’. Fitzgerald again combines language with setting through narrative sentence types in the Grammatical category of Stylistic Analysis. The party is depicted as a kaleidoscope of movement as    
‘groups change more swiftly, swell with new arrivals, dissolve and form in the same breath; already there are wanderers, confident girls who weave here and there among the stouter and more stable, become for a sharp, joyous moment the center of a group, and then, excited with triumph, glide on through the sea-change of faces and voices and color under the constantly changing light.’
         Despite being the longest sentence in the description of Gatsby’s oncoming party, there is no loss of clarity. Its first clause in a composition of four coordinated verbs; ‘change’, ‘swell’, ‘dissolve’ and ‘wonder’. The apposition of ‘confident girls’ which ‘weave’, ‘become’ and ‘glide’, provide the sentence with a description depicting quick movement from one ‘group’ to the next; hence highlighting the atmosphere of chaos and mindlessness. Gatsby held parties often, almost as if that will bring the life to him that he lacks within himself. However, the popularity this party brings him as ‘men and girls went like moths’, fails to fulfil the purpose of filling the emptiness within Gatsby, rendering those who follow the idea of the American Dream and build up their own wealth as outcasts of society.

However, it is not until after Gatsby’s death that the true contrast and nature of the roaring 20s is realised. The dream Nick has proceeding Gatsby’s death, unveils another side of America that had become ‘distorted’ under the glitz and glamour of riches and parties. Fitzgerald depicts a stark imagery in the setting of East Egg;
 ‘Even when East Egg excited me most…it had always for me a quality of distortion. West Egg, especially still figures in my more fantastic dreams. I see it as a night scene by el Greco: a hundred houses, at once conventional and grotesque, crouching under a sullen overhanging sky and a lusterless moon.’
      Evidence of the corrupting society and the failure of the American Dream soon become apparent as East Egg is stripped bare of it’s façade. The once uncontained hedonism of a place ‘full of people’ has become a place of human alienation, with ‘a hundred houses’ that have now become ‘grotesque’ rather than ‘fashionable’ and ‘cheerful’ as they once were. The ‘drunken women’ becomes a symbol of the exhausted nature of society as ‘four solemn men’, who don’t even know ‘the woman’s name’, deliver her. The image painted is bleak as the sky ‘overhangs’; ‘sullen’, exposing the moral decay now becoming evident. The emphasise placed upon wealth during the ’twenties had attained a status where even the woman’s ‘cold jewels’ have more ‘sparkle’ than the ‘lustreless moon’, criticising the value system that emphasized materialism above all else.

Fitzgerald exposes, through an accentuation of the generic conventions of characterisation, language, setting and dialogue; that American society within the 20th century was manifested with the value system of commodification, driven by the want for a materialistic lifestyle. Fitzgerald highlights this through a ridicule of the values of the American Dream and the resultant effects upon those who followed its incorporated concepts. Both Myrtle and Gatsby, the two characters’ striving for the attainment of the American dream suffered the severe consequence of death. In the end, Gatsby never attains ‘the green light, and the orgastic future’, despite believing in it even when it ‘eluded’ and ‘receded before [him]’. Thus, through the medium of The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald reflects upon the American dream as unattainable and an empty promise of happiness. Despite this, society within and beyond the 20th century, places great emphasis upon materialistic wealth and commodification, a value system that is to this day, timeless. ‘That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you are not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong.’ (Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald).   
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 11:40:05 am by mq123 »
2016: Methods | Chem | Physics | Accounting | Literature

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2016, 10:25:18 am »
+5
Since exams are coming up I thought it might be useful to revive this thread and share some ideas on the texts. It would be great if anyone else would be willing to contribute too. I'll start :)

This essay received 40/40 marks.

“In Jane Eyre, Bronte criticises conventional social structures, suggesting that they limit individuality, imagination, and self-expression.”

Charlotte Bronte’s novel, Jane Eyre condemns the treatment of women and their position within Victorian society. In her examination of ideological beliefs and social constructions prevalent in the Victorian era, Bronte suggests that women are confined due to their gender through her analysis and exposure of the limitations placed upon women.

Demonstrating the restrictive nature of religious values on the growth and development of women, Bronte criticises the teachings of Evangelism embodied by the character of Mr Brocklehurst at Lowood Institute. Declaring that the girls hair be arranged “plainly” and clothed in “simple attire” and live in “unsophisticated accommodations,” Mr. Brocklehurst suggests that women ought to live conservatively- a conflicting view in contrast to Bronte’s empowerment of women. Bronte’s description of Brocklehurst: “a black pillar… a sable clad standing erect” reveals the apparent dominance that Brocklehurst- and consequently religion- possesses over the young Jane, and it is this that she must battle lest she be confined to the limitations placed upon the female sex. The description: a “straight, narrow figure” refers to the hard nature and obstinacy of Brocklehurst and that his face is described as a “carved mask” refers to his inhumanity and that too of the Evangelism religion. Similarly, Jane refers to Brocklehurst as her “interrogator;” the connotations which suggest an intensive and harsh questioning process rather than a mere enquiry provide a clear expression of Bronte’s condemnation of religion’s role in the oppression of women during the Victorian era. Thus, readers are compelled to view Brocklehurst’s embodiment of religion as severe. In spite of this blatant oppression Bronte observes, Jane demonstrates her strong will and sense of self. Suggesting that Jane is “wicked” Brocklehurst threatens she will go to “hell” after death, but Jane’s assertion that she must “keep in good health and not die” declares her unwillingness to conform to patriarchal expectations. Bronte further emphasises Jane’s strength when many of the girls at Lowood fall ill and die. The typhus that “predisposed most of the pupils” serves as a metaphor for the oppression which religion bestows. By Jane remaining alive and strong; “continu[ing] well” and “enjoy[ing] full the beauties of the scene,” Bronte illustrates Jane’s defiance against the restrictions of societal expectations placed on the female sex.

Demonstrated through the relationship between Jane and St. John, Bronte criticises the societal expectations that surround a marriage of convenience in favour of a marriage formed on mutual love and affection such as that which is seen between Jane and Rochester. On the notion of marrying for convenience, Bronte expresses her view in Jane’s declaration: “I scorn your idea of love.” Bronte’s criticism is particularly clear as Jane “rose up and stood before” St. John. Bronte shows Jane’s active defiance and moral superiority as she rises above the expectations within Victorian society. Examining the linguistic features of each proposal made to Jane, readers can infer Bronte’s overarching view towards the idea of marriage; that is, Bronte argues a marriage of convenience is oppressive to women and limits their individual growth and development. Bronte’s descriptive romantic language in the proposal between Jane and St. John; the “hills… shut us quite in,” suggests a sense of isolation and restriction and propounds that a marriage based on principle would be almost suffocating. Furthermore, the motif of fire: “no light kindling” and Bronte’s referral to Jane’s mind as a “rayless dungeon” emphasises the absence of Jane’s emotions and passions towards marrying St. John. This proves negative and detrimental to Jane’s happiness and thus Bronte is unable to advocate for it. In contrast, the setting described when Rochester proposes to Jane is remarked as “Eden-like” with “trees laden with fruit ripening” and a “nightingale warbling” providing a warm and sincere atmosphere. Bronte’s intricate construction of mood suggests a sense of contentedness and thus reflects her encouragement towards a marriage that is based on mutual affection coupled with her advocating for the defiance against societal standards of marriage that oppress women within the Victorian era. Furthermore, as Jane secures financial independence and rises above these expectations, her language becomes increasingly dominative and assertive as she declares “I married him” and refers to Rochester by name rather than “master.”

Through her characters interactions, Bronte presents an empowering view of women in the Victorian era. Voiced through Jane, Bronte suggests women “suffer too rigid a restraint” and it is “thoughtless to condemn them” where they “seek to do more… than custom has announced necessary for their sex.” A prevalent feeling amongst Victorian women, Bronte also describes Jane’s longing for independence and equality. The gender imbalance between men and women is omnipresent throughout the novel and is often embedded within the dialogue of Bronte’s male characters. The language used by Rochester in his proposal to Jane is dominative and controlling as he “summons” her and declares he “must have” her. Jane submits to this treatment as evident in her referral to Rochester as “master.” However, Jane remarks she does not think he has a “right to command” her, thereby demonstrating a sense of strength and defiance as she raises the question of men’s rights to make demands of women. As Jane realises the financial and social disparity between herself and Rochester, she suggests that Rochester reminds her of a “sultan” who “bestow(s) on a slave his gold and gems.” Bronte’s focus on the material object of jewels draws on the objectification of women as mere objects of male desire. Jane’s plea: “never rain jewels… Jewels for Jane Eyre sounds unnatural and strange” and “don’t send for the jewels and don’t crown me…” serves as a strong defiance against the gender imbalance that penetrates Victorian society and the branding of the female sex as an object of male desire.

In Jane Eyre Bronte challenges the ideological beliefs and social constructions of the Victorian era that have been used as a tool of oppression against women. However, through the defiance of her protagonist, Bronte suggests the capabilities of women that extend beyond the boundaries and limitations set before them.

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2017, 04:46:02 pm »
+5
HAPPY 2017!

To mark the start of the new year, I thought I'd post up a bunch of my Literature essays. Think of it as my new year's present to you and all of AN if you will.

More to come.

EDIT: I have no idea when some of these essays were written so I can't guarantee that all of these will be high quality especially because my first few attempts at close analysis essays failed catastrophically -- definitely got better as I went along though.

To access the attachments, you need to make/log in to an ATARnotes account -- sorry for any inconvenience! I was just gonna post my essays individually originally but when I copied and pasted it, all my paragraphing got messed up so instead I just attached the word documents cos lazy.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:50:30 pm by HopefulLawStudent »

lilyrosee

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2017, 10:03:11 am »
HAPPY 2017!

To mark the start of the new year, I thought I'd post up a bunch of my Literature essays. Think of it as my new year's present to you and all of AN if you will.

More to come.

EDIT: I have no idea when some of these essays were written so I can't guarantee that all of these will be high quality especially because my first few attempts at close analysis essays failed catastrophically -- definitely got better as I went along though.

To access the attachments, you need to make/log in to an ATARnotes account -- sorry for any inconvenience! I was just gonna post my essays individually originally but when I copied and pasted it, all my paragraphing got messed up so instead I just attached the word documents cos lazy.

Hey,

Do you have any sample essays on Cat on a Hot Tin Roof or Seamus Heaney poetry?? Thanks
2016: Psychology
2017: English [47] | Literature | Drama [42] | Media | Australian History [43]
2018 - 2020: Bachelor of Arts @ the University of Melbourne

VCE English Essay Marking $10 per essay or 3 essays for $20 - DM for details

MightyBeh

• Forum Leader
  • Beth(x)
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2017, 11:42:40 am »
+5
Hey,

Do you have any sample essays on Cat on a Hot Tin Roof or Seamus Heaney poetry?? Thanks

I have one on Seamus Heaney's poems. I believe it was 17 or 18 out of 20 by exam standards so it's certainly not perfect, but worth a look if you can read my handwriting. Marking sheet is attached so you can see where I messed up ::)

General things to avoid that appear in the essay are poor handwriting, and unclear meanings (i.e. there's some logic jumps and phrasing issues). Some areas definitely could have been improved by cutting out bits. In case you can't read it - it's my own handwriting and I had trouble - lmk and I have some spare time tonight to type it up. :)

Here, file is too large to attach.
VCE: Further Maths | Methods | Specialist | Literature | Software Development | Classics
2017: making some dolla