Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:08:57 am

Author Topic: How did exam format change?  (Read 1834 times)  Share 

Yesmon

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How did exam format change?
« on: February 19, 2017, 07:28:37 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the prior lit exams were 2 close analysis with 3 passages provided.

"Students will be required to complete one piece of writing in response to one topic on one text from the VCE Literature Text List for the year in question. There will be one topic for each of the 30 texts."

The above is a new description for part A, however it doesn't mention any accompanying text which part B has. My intepretation is that there is only one close analysis with passages provided and the new part A is pretty much a text response (becoz prompt) with no material. Please, please tell me I'm wrong on this

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
Re: How did exam format change?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 09:07:53 pm »
Nope, that's what it is. I mean, except for the text response essay being a little different from a typical English one.

A sample paper is being published in the new few weeks, so that will help sort out details through illustration.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 10:32:29 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the prior lit exams were 2 close analysis with 3 passages provided.

"Students will be required to complete one piece of writing in response to one topic on one text from the VCE Literature Text List for the year in question. There will be one topic for each of the 30 texts."

The above is a new description for part A, however it doesn't mention any accompanying text which part B has. My intepretation is that there is only one close analysis with passages provided and the new part A is pretty much a text response (becoz prompt) with no material. Please, please tell me I'm wrong on this

Yeah, I believe it's now:

Part A: Literary Perspectives, so kind of like English T.R. or a 'Views & Values' essay from the old SD with an emphasis on different interpretations and substantiating 'readings' of a text.
Part B: Close Analysis, as before: three passages and you have to use at least two to support your analytical interpretation.

Also, they've kept the 'you-have-to-write-on-texts-of-two-different-genres' rule, meaning you can't write both parts on the one text (obvs.) More info here, though I'm hoping they'll publish the sample exam really soon so we all have a better idea of Part A. It sounds like it will still involve you discussing your own interpretation but also making reference to literary theories or schools of thought (e.g. Marxist, Feminist, Post-colonialist, etc.) So both components of the exam will still be heavily interpretation-based, it's just that Part A will involve contrasting a variety of views and unpacking their approaches, whereas Part B is more 'from the ground up' analysis of language which eventually leads to an overall reading.

OOOOO

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 06:04:16 pm »
+2
A sample exam has been recently published, here's the link: http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/literature/literature-samp-w.pdf

peterpiper

• Forum Obsessive
  • ppp
  • Respect: +257
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 07:53:09 am »
+1
A sample exam has been recently published, here's the link: http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/literature/literature-samp-w.pdf

I love how long it took VCAA to publish this, when almost all of the texts are from the old study design. It'd be nice if they actually - you know - publish something more relevant to texts studied this year lol
2017: VCE COMPLETED

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 11:34:35 am »
+3
I love how long it took VCAA to publish this, when almost all of the texts are from the old study design. It'd be nice if they actually - you know - publish something more relevant to texts studied this year lol
Yeah this is a very odd assortment of texts... at first I thought it was the 2016 ones, but they've got some from the English list and others from Lit Units 1&2 recommended ones...

At least those Section A prompts are super open-ended and malleable. I kinda miss the days of 100% Passage Analysis exams though  :'(