Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:04:40 am

Author Topic: School won’t let me continue on to Maths Methods 3/4  (Read 683 times)  Share 

struggling_

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
School won’t let me continue on to Maths Methods 3/4
« on: November 27, 2019, 09:32:12 am »
Hey everyone,

I failed my Methods 1/2 exams and haven’t performed the best in my tests and assessments. My school is now recommending for me to do Further Maths 3/4 instead of Methods 3/4 and I know they see that it would be in my best interest to do it, but I want to Methods 3/4 not only to keep my options open for uni courses without doing bridging courses but also I think I would be able to cope if I was more consistent with studying and didn’t cram before any of my assessments.

Long story short, I used to be a strong maths student in Years 7-10 and was in the accelerated class, though my marks started to drop from Year 9. Back then, I was very diligent in doing my homework after every class and Maths was one of favourite subjects. However, from year 9 onwards, my study habits worsened and I just stopped caring in general. I neglected Methods this year and couldn’t do the best I could have done due to prioritising my 3/4 subject, lack of motivation, etc. I’ve spoken to my teacher and they said they think I’m capable for Methods ¾ but I just need to seriously revise the topics from this year and ramp up my study habits - I just need to get approved by the coordinator but they’ve been refusing other people in the same situation as me. Would anyone know how I can persuade my school to let me continue with Methods despite my grades?  :( It’s probably easy for me to say now but I’m prepared to work hard over the holidays to cover the topics that I didn’t fully understand, and I’m in a better mental state than I was before. I’m interested in studying Commerce or Biomedical Sciences at uni, which require at least a 25 in Methods, and I would prefer not to do a bridging course and spend the first year of uni just doing maths. Further is also extremely competitive so that sort of puts me off as well.

I know no one here can do anything about this, but if anyone has any advice on what I could do, I would appreciate anything. It probably seems wise for me to do Further 3/4 but I honestly think I could cope with Methods if I was more consistent with this subject. Sorry this may have turned out more like a rant.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 09:37:36 am by struggling_ »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: School won’t let me continue on to Maths Methods 3/4
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 09:49:12 am »
+5
Maybe you could offer to sit a test at the start of next year to demonstrate you much you've learned and that you are prepared?

Edit: fixed a typo. Idk what shooting a test would involve but it sounds dramatic
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 11:16:42 am by Bri MT »

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: School won’t let me continue on to Maths Methods 3/4
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 11:14:24 am »
+5
I'd also mention that it's not a want for your course, but that it's a need, and that if you can't take Methods you'll likely just end up taking a bridging course — which means you'll end up covering the same content anyway.

I'd just take what you told us (attached below) and bring that to your coordinator's attention. You could even ask your maths teacher or careers counsellor to assist with this. At my school they were a bit more flexible for course prereqs.

Quote from: Struggling_
I’m interested in studying Commerce or Biomedical Sciences at uni, which require at least a 25 in Methods, and I would prefer not to do a bridging course and spend the first year of uni just doing maths.

🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢