Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 02:49:44 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3608032 times)  Share 

MagicGecko

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • W3$T $IDe I$ B3$T $!D3
  • Respect: +43
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #1005 on: March 09, 2014, 01:42:46 am »
After my first 3/4 bio sac- I seem to still always make simple mistakes/ errors which cost me a couple of marks which I shouldn't have lost. Do you people have any tips in how I could reduce it, and hopefully until I make no mistakes in my sacs, so I can start getting 100%

1. Know your shit
2. Don't doubt your ability
3. Read every question at least twice
4. Refer to #1 because this will hopefully enable you to finish your SAC early and hence have time to find those 'simple mistakes/errors'
5. Pick out (and highlight if you want) key words

Nothing else I can say really, just pay attention to every little detail and choose your words carefully, good luck :)

2013-2016:
Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical)(Honours) @ RMIT

~Full-Time Biomedical Engineer~

"im not crying there’s just overpriced college education in my eye" ~ abigalmills-tumblr

Yacoubb

« Reply #1006 on: March 09, 2014, 01:53:41 am »
After my first 3/4 bio sac- I seem to still always make simple mistakes/ errors which cost me a couple of marks which I shouldn't have lost. Do you people have any tips in how I could reduce it, and hopefully until I make no mistakes in my sacs, so I can start getting 100%

Succinct answers that answer the question, using biological terminology. The way to do this is to read the questions at least twice, and answer the question in your head before delivering it to the paper. Also be confident that you have answered the question in a punchy manner, to avoid ranting on about irrelevant things that may possibly cause you to score 0 marks for that question because of contradiction. 

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #1007 on: March 09, 2014, 09:48:04 am »
is osmosis the net movement of water molecules from a region of high to low water concentration or low to high?

..high to low water concentration.
..low to high solute concentration.

shadows

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #1008 on: March 09, 2014, 09:59:06 am »
..high to low water concentration.
..low to high solute concentration.

I'd stick with high to low solute concentration.

For some reason I defined osmosis as high to low water concentration and lost a mark. Supposedly examiners do prefer the latter response.

Or was I just marked too harshly?

nhmn0301

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School: The University of Melboure
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1009 on: March 09, 2014, 10:02:22 am »

For some reason I defined osmosis as high to low water concentration and lost a mark. Supposedly examiners do prefer the latter response.

I write both actually,"...... a net movement of free water molecules from a region if low solute (high water) concentration to a region of high solute (low water) concentration through a semi-permeable membrane"
2015-2017: Bachelor of Biomedicine

Yacoubb

« Reply #1010 on: March 09, 2014, 10:11:34 am »
I write both actually,"...... a net movement of free water molecules from a region if low solute (high water) concentration to a region of high solute (low water) concentration through a semi-permeable membrane"

VCAA prefers you write short succinct answers. It'll be too long of a definition if you include both. My definition of osmosis is the passive, net movement of free water molecules across the semi-permeable plasma membrane, from an area of low solute concentration to an area of high solute concentration. You should discuss that its a passive means of transport, include 'net movement' and the rest of what I wrote (an assessor gave me this definition).

nhmn0301

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School: The University of Melboure
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1011 on: March 09, 2014, 11:27:21 am »
VCAA prefers you write short succinct answers. It'll be too long of a definition if you include both. My definition of osmosis is the passive, net movement of free water molecules across the semi-permeable plasma membrane, from an area of low solute concentration to an area of high solute concentration. You should discuss that its a passive means of transport, include 'net movement' and the rest of what I wrote (an assessor gave me this definition).
Thanks Yacoubb! I totally forgot the most important "passive" word.
2015-2017: Bachelor of Biomedicine

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1012 on: March 09, 2014, 12:13:32 pm »

Yeah that may be true, but it's "low to high solute concentration" not "high to low solute concentration" like you mentioned.

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1013 on: March 09, 2014, 12:49:08 pm »
Can a protein have more than one function; i.e - can it be ,say, both enzymatic and an immunoglobulin?
The proteins in a cell membrane are used for transport, but since some have an active site, can they also said to be enzymatic? Or does that only apply to enzymes. Cytochromes as well; they're said to be enzymes?

Also what is the function of peripheral proteins?

Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:07:00 pm by MM1 »

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1014 on: March 09, 2014, 01:40:24 pm »
+1
Can a protein have more than one function; i.e - can it be ,say, both enzymatic and an immunoglobulin?
The proteins in a cell membrane are used for transport, but since some have an active site, can they also said to be enzymatic? Or does that only apply to enzymes. Cytochromes as well; they're said to be enzymes?

I guess so, thinking of proteins like ATPsynthase and Haemoglobin.

shadows

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #1015 on: March 09, 2014, 01:59:03 pm »
Yeah that may be true, but it's "low to high solute concentration" not "high to low solute concentration" like you mentioned.
LOL opps

I meant low to high solute conc

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #1016 on: March 09, 2014, 02:09:05 pm »
+1

Where did you obtain these questions from? Unless things have changed they're not need for VCE (*to the best of my memory). It really depends where you draw the line of it being a different function or having a different domain. Serotonin is involved in mood but it also causes blood to clot. They are different functions but on a broad level, it's not like it's becoming and enzyme or a structural protein, it's still a molecule to communicate something to another cell. If you draw very big lines like enzyme or immunoglobulin, i'd imagine you wouldn't find many, if any, proteins that could cross huge boundaries like that. I can't think of many things that are enzymes that have important actions in things not related to them being an enzyme.

It's a very poorly put question if it was on an exam, so, i doubt something like this will be.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 02:15:38 pm by slothpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1017 on: March 09, 2014, 02:16:33 pm »
Where did you obtain these questions from? Unless things have changed they're not need for VCE (*to the best of my memory).

Just a thought(s). I guess it really isn't needed for VCE, but it'll be good to know? ..

Edit: Thanks slothpomba!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 02:18:28 pm by MM1 »

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #1018 on: March 09, 2014, 02:21:25 pm »
+1
I edited some answers into my post probably while you were typing yours. The active site isn't the only important bit, especially if we're talking about things that aren't enzymes, it's also the overall shape and structure of the protein. That said most proteins (on my limited knowledge) tend to be useful for only a handful of somewhat related tasks. I can't think of many enzymes that are heavily important for non-enzymatic things so you can cross that one out.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #1019 on: March 09, 2014, 02:47:18 pm »
The general rule for passive transport is that the molecules move to a space where there is less of them; they want to be spread out equally.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd