Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:19:15 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570591 times)  Share 

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #960 on: March 02, 2014, 08:22:54 pm »
Okay thanks, seems like what i had to. thought i needed to include movement of water by osmosis along the osmotic gradient and stuff too. Am I required to know osmotic pressure too? And if so what is high and low osmotic pressure in terms of hypertonic and hypotonic

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #961 on: March 02, 2014, 08:40:10 pm »
Okay thanks, seems like what i had to. thought i needed to include movement of water by osmosis along the osmotic gradient and stuff too. Am I required to know osmotic pressure too? And if so what is high and low osmotic pressure in terms of hypertonic and hypotonic

Nope, those descriptors only apply to solutions and shouldn't be used to describe the movement. OBviously movement will happen if possible, but they don't necessarily indicate it well.

Osmotic pressure is the amount of pressure you have to apply to a membrane to stop osmosis from occurring. So it's from low to high (I think). I'm pretty sure they don't use it anymore.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #962 on: March 02, 2014, 09:20:35 pm »
How would one describe the role of ADP in energy transformations? I keep wanting to call ADP a carrier, even though I know that it's not one. However, could it be defined as an energy carrier? It still harnesses energy, but of a lower level...I just don't really know what to define ADP as! Thanks :)
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #963 on: March 03, 2014, 07:30:55 am »
How would one describe the role of ADP in energy transformations? I keep wanting to call ADP a carrier, even though I know that it's not one. However, could it be defined as an energy carrier? It still harnesses energy, but of a lower level...I just don't really know what to define ADP as! Thanks :)

I don't think you need to specifically define ADP. For he role of ADP in energy transformations, you just need to know that ADP combines with an inorganic phosphate to form ATP. And ATP, upon hydrolysis of its high energy bonds between phosphates, releases energy.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #964 on: March 03, 2014, 03:16:53 pm »
I don't think you need to specifically define ADP. For he role of ADP in energy transformations, you just need to know that ADP combines with an inorganic phosphate to form ATP. And ATP, upon hydrolysis of its high energy bonds between phosphates, releases energy.

Completely right.

popoy111

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #965 on: March 04, 2014, 04:56:22 pm »
So im doing sac 2 about enzymes and catalase. In one of my discussion question it asks 8. When hydrogen peroxide is added to a sample, bubble rate is high initially but then slows down.  Explain why this happens.

Scooby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #966 on: March 04, 2014, 05:15:51 pm »
So im doing sac 2 about enzymes and catalase. In one of my discussion question it asks 8. When hydrogen peroxide is added to a sample, bubble rate is high initially but then slows down.  Explain why this happens.

Catalase catalyses the conversion of hydrogen peroxide to oxygen gas and water. As hydrogen peroxide is converted to water and oxygen its concentration decreases; therefore, the rate at which this reaction takes place also decreases (and so does the rate which the oxygen gas bubbles are evolved)
2012-2013: VCE - Biology [50]
2015-2017: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology & Physiology) @ Monash
2018-2021: Doctor of Medicine @ Melbourne

Tutoring Biology in 2019. Send me a PM if you're interested! :)

howlingwisdom

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #967 on: March 04, 2014, 07:48:10 pm »
Would someone be able to help explain the answer to this question to me? :(

'An inhibitor of a key enzyme that catalyses a part of the light independent stage is added to a plant cell. Would oxygen be produced at the same, lower or higher rate in this plate cell? Explain.

The answer is lower rate but I'm not sure why? :/
VCE: 2014-2015 (English Language, Maths Methods, Biology, Chemistry, French, Latin)

2016: BMedSt + MD at Bond University (2020)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #968 on: March 04, 2014, 08:00:51 pm »
+1
Would someone be able to help explain the answer to this question to me? :(

'An inhibitor of a key enzyme that catalyses a part of the light independent stage is added to a plant cell. Would oxygen be produced at the same, lower or higher rate in this plate cell? Explain.

The answer is lower rate but I'm not sure why? :/

Well if you inhibit an enzyme you slow down the process. Given that O2 is the product of the reaction, slowing down the process will slow down the rate of production of oxygen.

howlingwisdom

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #969 on: March 04, 2014, 08:15:44 pm »
Well if you inhibit an enzyme you slow down the process. Given that O2 is the product of the reaction, slowing down the process will slow down the rate of production of oxygen.
Thank you! :)

Though the suggested answer is 'products of light independent reaction are reactants for light dependent reaction' - but to me it doesn't really make sense/is way too general?
VCE: 2014-2015 (English Language, Maths Methods, Biology, Chemistry, French, Latin)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #970 on: March 04, 2014, 08:25:38 pm »
Thank you! :)

Though the suggested answer is 'products of light independent reaction are reactants for light dependent reaction' - but to me it doesn't really make sense/is way too general?

It's an important point to make, but it's not the answer entirely

howlingwisdom

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #971 on: March 04, 2014, 09:49:19 pm »
When just the word 'control' is mentioned in a question, is it referring to the control group or controlled variables?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #972 on: March 04, 2014, 10:26:49 pm »
When just the word 'control' is mentioned in a question, is it referring to the control group or controlled variables?

Variable

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #973 on: March 04, 2014, 10:47:30 pm »
In glycolysis, why is ATP needed? The breakdown of glucose is catabolic, therefore energy releasing (exergonic), so where in glycolysis do anabolic (endergonic) reactions occur?

Also, why is H2O produced?
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #974 on: March 04, 2014, 10:56:08 pm »
In glycolysis, why is ATP needed? The breakdown of glucose is catabolic, therefore energy releasing (exergonic), so where in glycolysis do anabolic (endergonic) reactions occur?

Also, why is H2O produced?

If you think about it, to start a fire you need a spark. That spark produces a tiny fire, that let's the fire go. Undeniably, the overall process of burning all the wood though produces a lot more heat than the spark. Likewise, every reaction needs a spark like that, it's called its activation energy. ATP supplies that spark. It supplies a tiny bit of energy to get the reaction going, then that reaction is able to release a lot of energy itself.

Just the groups that react. There are a couple of protons and an oxygen spare, so they make H2O