Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:14:35 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3571515 times)  Share 

nerdmmb

Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #675 on: February 17, 2014, 09:12:01 pm »
Usually you'd present it as a graph/table in the results, and then you'd explain the underlying concepts pertaining to your results in the discussion.

Do you mean as in explain the results obtained in more detail?

Does anyone know if there's a word limit to the discussion or conclusion ?

howlingwisdom

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #676 on: February 17, 2014, 09:20:03 pm »
+1
I'm pretty sure that there would not be, but conclusions are generally concise as they basically answer the aim of the experiment.
VCE: 2014-2015 (English Language, Maths Methods, Biology, Chemistry, French, Latin)

2016: BMedSt + MD at Bond University (2020)

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #677 on: February 17, 2014, 09:20:48 pm »
+1
Do you mean as in explain the results obtained in more detail?

Yes.

Haha, no word limit unless the teacher specifies one :p

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #678 on: February 17, 2014, 10:35:03 pm »
How can consuming too much protein affect the body? I trying googling this but it only came up with fitness links -_-

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I'm on my daily grind. My 9-5.
  • Respect: +9
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #679 on: February 17, 2014, 10:50:13 pm »
What is the role of the cell membrane?
VCE 2013 - 2014:  Biology |English|Geography| Literature |Mathematical Methods [CAS] |Physical Education | Psychology

nerdmmb

« Reply #680 on: February 17, 2014, 10:59:35 pm »
What is the role of the cell membrane?

The plasma membrane plays an integral role in the regulation of inputs and outputs in the cell, is involved in intercellular recognition and communication, encloses the contents within a cell and also protects a cell from its immediate environment.

Scooby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #681 on: February 17, 2014, 11:23:38 pm »
How can consuming too much protein affect the body? I trying googling this but it only came up with fitness links -_-

When a high dietary protein intake is consumed, there is an increase in urea excretion, which suggests that amino acid oxidation is increased. High levels of protein intake increase the activity of branched-chain ketoacid dehydrogenase. As a result, oxidation is facilitated, and the amino group of the amino acid is excreted to the liver. This process suggests that excess protein consumption results in protein oxidation and that the protein is excreted. The body is unable to store excess protein. Protein is digested into amino acids, which enter the bloodstream. Excess amino acids are converted to other usable molecules by the liver in a process called deamination. Deamination converts nitrogen from the amino acid into ammonia, which is converted by the liver into urea in the urea cycle. Excretion of urea is performed by the kidneys. These organs can normally cope with any extra workload, but, if kidney disease occurs, a decrease in protein will often be prescribed. When there is excess protein intake, amino acids can be converted to glucose or ketones, in addition to being oxidized for fuel. When food protein intake is periodically high or low, the body tries to keep protein levels at an equilibrium by using the "labile protein reserve", which serves as a short-term protein store to be used for emergencies or daily variations in protein intake. However, that reserve is not utilized as longer-term storage for future needs.
Many researchers have also found that excessive intake of protein increases calcium excretion in urine. It has been thought that this occurs to maintain the pH imbalance from the oxidation of sulfur amino acids. Also, it is inconclusive whether bone resorption contributes to bone loss and osteoporosis. However, it is also found that a regular intake of calcium would be able to stabilize this loss.
Another issue arising from over-consumption of protein is a higher risk of kidney stone formation from calcium in the renal circulatory system. It has been found that high animal protein intake in healthy individuals increases the probability of forming kidney stones by 250 percent.
An epidemiological study from 2006 has found no relationship between total protein intake and blood pressure; it did, however, find an inverse relationship between vegetable protein intake and blood pressure.

Definitely not something you need to know  :P
2012-2013: VCE - Biology [50]
2015-2017: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology & Physiology) @ Monash
2018-2021: Doctor of Medicine @ Melbourne

Tutoring Biology in 2019. Send me a PM if you're interested! :)

nerdmmb

« Reply #682 on: February 18, 2014, 06:57:05 pm »
I had two questions,

If an experimental report asks us to write a variable in the experiment but doesn't specify whether we should write independent or dependent variable, then what should we write?

Also, if we repeat the experiment, do we mention it in the discussion? If so, how? is it acceptable to say that the experiment was repeated?

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #683 on: February 18, 2014, 07:14:16 pm »
+1
I had two questions,

If an experimental report asks us to write a variable in the experiment but doesn't specify whether we should write independent or dependent variable, then what should we write?

Also, if we repeat the experiment, do we mention it in the discussion? If so, how? is it acceptable to say that the experiment was repeated?

I would mention both the independent and dependent variables, but usually reports aren't that vague to not specify the variable they wanted you to describe...
Yes, you would mention if you repeated the experiment in the discussion. You must also say why the experiment was repeated. The most obvious reason is to reduce experimental error.

eagles

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #684 on: February 18, 2014, 07:15:47 pm »
Do both DNA and RNA contain the elements, carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and phosphorus?

Thanks.

nerdmmb

« Reply #685 on: February 18, 2014, 07:33:20 pm »
+2
Do both DNA and RNA contain the elements, carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and phosphorus?

Thanks.

Yes :) They're both nucleic acids and all nucleic acids contain carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and phosphorus.

nerdmmb

« Reply #686 on: February 18, 2014, 09:07:16 pm »
Can liquid brought out of a cell by exocytosis also be referred to as pinocytosis or is this term only restricted to endocytosis?

Thanks!

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #687 on: February 18, 2014, 09:11:41 pm »
I think it's restricted to endocytosis.

nerdmmb

« Reply #688 on: February 18, 2014, 09:23:28 pm »
So what would we refer to liquid that's brought out of a cell?
Simply exocytosis?

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #689 on: February 18, 2014, 09:27:51 pm »

Yes :) They're both nucleic acids and all nucleic acids contain carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and phosphorus.

They don't *always* contain phosphorous.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 09:44:09 pm by alchemy »