Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:22:08 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3571051 times)  Share 

madhatter117

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #630 on: February 16, 2014, 12:08:25 pm »
+1
RNA polymerase transcribes the template strand of a DNA molecule in the nucleus. mRNA takes this strand from the nucleus to the ribosome for translation. tRNA transports amino acids that corresponds with each 3 nitrogen bases on the mRNA strand. Once another tRNA approaches the ribosome, a peptide bond is formed between the amino acids. Once all the amino acids have been assembled (in other words, once the nitrogen bases have been translated), a stop codon is attached to stop any more amino acids from being assembled.
The ribosome then frees the mRNA stand which is broken down in the cytoplasm.
Ta-da you have a polypeptide chain :)

Note: the amino acids are found in the cytosol.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks heaps!!  ;D
was also still wondering about a simplified term for signal transduction?
and what it is we have to know on the proteome and proteomics and conjugated proteins??  :P

nerdmmb

« Reply #631 on: February 16, 2014, 12:12:25 pm »
Thanks heaps!!  ;D
was also still wondering about a simplified term for signal transduction?
and what it is we have to know on the proteome and proteomics and conjugated proteins??  :P

Not too sure about that, sorry :(
but you can watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtVb7r8aHco

Azula

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #632 on: February 16, 2014, 02:08:37 pm »
Through which part, in particular, does water travel through the phospholipid bilayer? Simply in between the phospholipds?
Thanks

nerdmmb

« Reply #633 on: February 16, 2014, 02:28:58 pm »
+1
Through which part, in particular, does water travel through the phospholipid bilayer? Simply in between the phospholipds?
Thanks

Yes :) a cell membrane is porous allowing certain small polar molecules such as water to diffuse through. This is also known as simple diffusion.

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #634 on: February 16, 2014, 02:48:06 pm »
+1
Can a hypothesis encompass more than 1 point? I have a SAC on movement across membranes [osmosis]; can my hypothesis be broad like: 'Water will diffuse from an area of low conc. to high. conc.' or should I also mention tonicity [hyper,hypo,iso] ?
Also for aim, do we have to talk about the effect of osmosis on X  or just investigating osmosis in X ?
And can a potato piece be referred to as a plant cell or should I refer to it as a piece of potato?

That depends entirely on your Prac. Be specific, but not overly specific. Also, don't mention too many points in your aim or hypothesis. I referred to the pieces of potato as potato tuber cells and plant cells at times (depends on the Prac though).

and what it is we have to know on the proteome and proteomics and conjugated proteins?? 

You need to know their definitions and worldly importance, I guess. The proteome refers to the entire array of proteins expressed by an organism. Proteomics is the study of the proteome and is important for a number of reasons; the mains ones being that proteins are interlinked and don't act in isolation. Proteomics is promising because it can tell us whether or not drugs tested in humans will have the same effect on animals. Conjugated proteins have a non-protein (prosthetic or non-amino) component in them. For example, haemoglobin contains the heme prosthetic group that contains iron. Other well known examples of conjugated proteins are lipoproteins, glycoproteins and phosphoproteins.

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #635 on: February 16, 2014, 03:02:28 pm »
+1
Thanks

I don't know if this is part of the course, but the majority of water movement into and out of the cell is facilitated by specific membrane channels called aquaporins.

Some water does diffuse through the membrane, but it is incorrect with the current understanding of cell membrane structure to attribute water movement solely to simple diffusion.
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #636 on: February 16, 2014, 03:30:51 pm »
Q. If a leaf cell was placed in a solution of strong detergent which of the following would be observed?
A- Green colour would escape from the leaf.

Why is this?

nerdmmb

« Reply #637 on: February 16, 2014, 03:38:40 pm »
Q. If a leaf cell was placed in a solution of strong detergent which of the following would be observed?

Why is this?

Since detergent distintegrates the phospholipid membrane, the contents of the cell including the chloroplasts would escape.
Chloroplast is green therefore the solution would appear green.

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #638 on: February 16, 2014, 03:39:57 pm »

Why is this?
It's probably because detergents are emulsifiers, in that they basically disrupt the structure of the plasma membrane (essentially allows the lipids and water to mix). Consequently, the chloroplast (green) would come out

Edit: beaten by nerdmmb

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #639 on: February 16, 2014, 03:44:20 pm »
Yes, however not all plant cells contain chloroplasts? Or am I being over analytical here :P

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #640 on: February 16, 2014, 03:47:20 pm »
+5
Yes, however not all plant cells contain chloroplasts? Or am I being over analytical here :P

It's a leaf cell, which contains chloroplasts.

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #641 on: February 16, 2014, 07:42:16 pm »
Hey, just wondering when they ask relate the structure to the function of the specific thing eg relate the structure of glycogen to its specific function- how much are we required to know. Is simply saying its a branched polysaccharide that provide a carbohydrate energy storage sufficient??

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #642 on: February 16, 2014, 07:43:27 pm »
And are we required to know specific examples of fibrous and globules protein eg keratin and their specific function 

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #643 on: February 16, 2014, 07:47:09 pm »
And are we required to know specific examples of fibrous and globules protein eg keratin and their specific function

Apparently it's been taken out of the study design [globular and fibrous proteins], but I think it'll be good to know a few examples :)

nerdmmb

« Reply #644 on: February 16, 2014, 08:13:17 pm »
wait, so has the study design from last year changed?