Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 10:19:14 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3608556 times)  Share 

nerdmmb

Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #315 on: January 25, 2014, 06:50:44 pm »
This is an interesting question that I somehow stumbled upon while doing a research task sometime ago. 
Firstly, recall that DNA is contained in the nucleus. Hair, skin and nail cells destroy their nuclei as part of their developmental process. They do this in order to maximize the space in the cell filled with the structural protein keratin. This means that the cell nucleus and other internal parts of the cell are destroyed and their space is filled by keratin. MM1 said pretty much the same, I think.

Thank-you!

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #316 on: January 25, 2014, 10:11:23 pm »
I'm sorry, this might deviate the thread from its intended purpose for a moment, but this is something I've been wondering for a while now.

How come when you straighten curly hair with a hair straightener, the hair regains its curl when it gets wet? The heat should cause the permanent denaturation of the keratin (and other proteins) present in hair, so I'm not 100% sure as to how it goes back. I guess the reverse also applies regarding curling straight hair with curling irons.

Lol whenever my sister straightens her hair I always start thinking of this. XD
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #317 on: January 25, 2014, 10:16:30 pm »
+2
I'm sorry, this might deviate the thread from its intended purpose for a moment, but this is something I've been wondering for a while now.

How come when you straighten curly hair with a hair straightener, the hair regains its curl when it gets wet? The heat should cause the permanent denaturation of the keratin (and other proteins) present in hair, so I'm not 100% sure as to how it goes back. I guess the reverse also applies regarding curling straight hair with curling irons.

I'd have to hazard a guess (because I no naught about hair-straightening), but I'd say it was because the exposure of the hair to heat is quick and short-lasting enough to only break the disulfide bonds in the hair (which cause the curling) without sufficiently denaturing the keratin structures.

Hence, exposure to water changes the regular environment of the hair, inducing it to return to its original state (as no permanent change by denaturation has occurred).
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #318 on: January 25, 2014, 10:27:13 pm »

Funnily enough, I got this question as part of my holiday homework. I'm not sure if this is correct but this is what I wrote:
"Hair is composed of the protein Keratin which is an alpha helix. It is able to stretch and its hydrogen bonds can be broken when heat is applied, but it eventually returns to its original shape as hydrogen bonds form over time."
Would water (H2O) help in these hydrogen bonds in forming?

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #319 on: January 25, 2014, 10:33:54 pm »
Funnily enough, I got this question as part of my holiday homework. I'm not sure if this is correct but this is what I wrote:
"Hair is composed of the protein Keratin which is an alpha helix. It is able to stretch and its hydrogen bonds can be broken when heat is applied, but it eventually returns to its original shape as hydrogen bonds form over time."

I'm probably incorrect here, but doesn't water, when added, break bonds?

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #320 on: January 25, 2014, 10:36:44 pm »
+2
I'm probably incorrect here, but doesn't water, when added, break bonds?

It can act as a solvent by breaking bonds, but it can also induce formation of new bonds depending on the gaseous H2O saturation of the environment that the hair is in. (That's an answer to your question too, alchemy!)
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

nhmn0301

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School: The University of Melboure
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #321 on: January 25, 2014, 10:57:17 pm »
+3
In biology, Hydrogen bond is considered to be a quite weak bond, it can easily break and reform (that's why water is cohesive). Hydrogen bond is made from when an H+ attracts an N,O, or F. Hence,  in water, when H+ attracts to OH-, it will create a water molecule. In Keratin, if you look at the alpha helix structure, it's quite flexible, easily stretch since H-bond is weak but easily rejoin since the H+ and O- will try to attract to each other, making the bond cohesive.
Another reason is, keratin contains cysteine amino acids, these amino acid contains Sulfur element. if 2 cysteines meet, they can build a disulphide link between them. Imo, if you add water, then these H+ and O- along the chain will not attract to each other anymore ( or less attract) since there are more H+ and OH- from the added water molecules, therefore, it will break the bond.
These are just my knowledge and might contain some errors :(, still, hope this makes sense.
2015-2017: Bachelor of Biomedicine

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #322 on: January 26, 2014, 12:18:08 am »
I know this varies for every school, but how many SACS are there in Biol generally?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #323 on: January 26, 2014, 12:32:04 am »
+1
I know this varies for every school, but how many SACS are there in Biol generally?

We had 8 each year
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #324 on: January 26, 2014, 10:30:34 am »
+1

Stuff have been taken out of the study design, so the word is we will have 6 sacs over the course of this year. However, in class, the teacher said we'll be having 10  :'(

Yacoubb

« Reply #325 on: January 26, 2014, 10:39:47 am »
+2
We had 10 SACs on:
• Movement across the membrane
• Enzymes
• Photosynthesis/Cellular Respiration
• Detecting and Responding
• Immunity
• Mitosis/Meiosis
• Monohybrid/Dihybrid crosses
• DNA manipulation
• Evolutionary relationships
• Human Intervention in Evolution

Jazza12396

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #326 on: January 26, 2014, 01:48:47 pm »
I'm a bit confused with the wording of the stages of Photosynthesis in the textbook. Could someone please explain the stages to me!

Yacoubb

« Reply #327 on: January 26, 2014, 02:28:41 pm »
+3
I'm a bit confused with the wording of the stages of Photosynthesis in the textbook. Could someone please explain the stages to me!

Light-Dependent Stage:
- Chlorophyll molecules absorb light energy.
- Electrons in the chlorophyll molecules become excited; as a result, the excited electrons enter the electron transport chain.
- To replenish the electrons lost from chlorophyll molecules, water is split to form H+ ions and oxygen gas (a by-product).
- NADPH is formed from NADP+ and H+ ions.
- ATP is formed from ADP + Pi (i.e. Adenosine Di-phosphate + Inorganic phosphate).

Light-Independent Stage:
- Carbon dioxide reacts with H+ ions (provided by NADPH) to form glucose. ATP provides the energy needed to synthesise glucose.
- After the electrons travel through the electron transport chain, they are collected by oxygen atoms, which then become O2- ions. O2- ions then react with excess H+ to form water (a by-product).

Jazza12396

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #328 on: January 26, 2014, 03:00:47 pm »
Thank you

nerdmmb

« Reply #329 on: January 26, 2014, 03:49:50 pm »
Is it possible for a monosaccharide to have one carbon atom --> CH20