Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:04:14 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570623 times)  Share 

eagles

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #225 on: January 14, 2014, 11:24:47 am »
+1
"C3 plants cannot grow in hot areas because RuBisCO incorporates more oxygen into RuBP as temperatures increase. This leads to photorespiration, which leads to a net loss of carbon and nitrogen from the plant and can, therefore, limit growth. In dry areas, C3 plants shut their stomata to reduce water loss, but this stops CO2 from entering the leaves and, therefore, reduces the concentration of CO2 in the leaves. This lowers the CO2:O2 ratio and, therefore, also increases photorespiration. "

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #226 on: January 14, 2014, 11:34:45 am »
+1
"C3 plants cannot grow in hot areas because RuBisCO incorporates more oxygen into RuBP as temperatures increase. This leads to photorespiration, which leads to a net loss of carbon and nitrogen from the plant and can, therefore, limit growth. In dry areas, C3 plants shut their stomata to reduce water loss, but this stops CO2 from entering the leaves and, therefore, reduces the concentration of CO2 in the leaves. This lowers the CO2:O2 ratio and, therefore, also increases photorespiration. "

Thanks a ton! :)

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #227 on: January 14, 2014, 11:48:15 am »
+2
Hi, I was wondering why does the rate of photorespiration in C3 plants increase at a higher temperature?
Is it because there is more light energy, so more ATP molecules and NADPH molecules are being formed in the light-dependent stage of photosynthesis, but in the Calvin-Benson cycle there is not enough carbon-dioxide molecules for them to 'fix' so once the carbon dioxide molecules run out, Rubisco starts to fix oxygen instead?

Thanks!

This is beyond the scope of the VCE Biology course.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #228 on: January 16, 2014, 01:19:30 am »
+1
This is beyond the scope of the VCE Biology course.

oh okay thanks for letting me know! :)

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #229 on: January 16, 2014, 01:20:58 am »
+1
Hi is the inner membrane of the chloroplasts what makes up the thylakoid membrane?
Or is the thylakoid membrane a third membrane of itself?
Because I read two different pieces of information from two different sources and so I was confused!

Scooby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #230 on: January 16, 2014, 02:19:26 am »
+1
Hi is the inner membrane of the chloroplasts what makes up the thylakoid membrane?
Or is the thylakoid membrane a third membrane of itself?
Because I read two different pieces of information from two different sources and so I was confused!

A chloroplast has an inner and outer membrane. The space within the inner membrane is referred to as the lumen of the chlorplast and is filled with a fluid called stroma. Within this lumen there are grana, which are stacks of these membrane-bound structures called thylakoids. The membranes of these thylakoids are called the thylakoid membranes (which makes sense :P). Thylakoids are hollow, and that hollow space within them is called the thylakoid lumen

The light-dependent stage of photosynthesis occurs on the thylakoid membranes

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:21:28 am by Scooby »
2012-2013: VCE - Biology [50]
2015-2017: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology & Physiology) @ Monash
2018-2021: Doctor of Medicine @ Melbourne

Tutoring Biology in 2019. Send me a PM if you're interested! :)

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #231 on: January 16, 2014, 09:25:57 am »
+1
(Image removed from quote.)

A chloroplast has an inner and outer membrane. The space within the inner membrane is referred to as the lumen of the chlorplast and is filled with a fluid called stroma. Within this lumen there are grana, which are stacks of these membrane-bound structures called thylakoids. The membranes of these thylakoids are called the thylakoid membranes (which makes sense :P). Thylakoids are hollow, and that hollow space within them is called the thylakoid lumen

The light-dependent stage of photosynthesis occurs on the thylakoid membranes

That makes alot of sense now! Thanks for including the diagram as well, I was able to visualise it better!

:)

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #232 on: January 16, 2014, 11:20:10 am »
+1
With regards to the reactants of photosynthesis, is it more correct to say that there are 12 molecules of H20 as opposed to 6 (considering both equations are balanced)?

Yacoubb

« Reply #233 on: January 16, 2014, 11:23:33 am »
+1
With regards to the reactants of photosynthesis, is it more correct to say that there are 12 molecules of H20 as opposed to 6 (considering both equations are balanced)?

You can use either! I personally opted for the 12 H2Os

Scooby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #234 on: January 16, 2014, 11:50:04 am »
+1

If they ask for the net input per glucose molecule I'd say six
2012-2013: VCE - Biology [50]
2015-2017: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology & Physiology) @ Monash
2018-2021: Doctor of Medicine @ Melbourne

Tutoring Biology in 2019. Send me a PM if you're interested! :)

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #235 on: January 16, 2014, 11:54:56 am »
+1

I always got told to put 12 on the left hand side and 6 on the right hand side, due to the fact that two separate stages are occurring in which 12 water molecules do react and 6 are produced per glucose molecule.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

vella97

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #236 on: January 16, 2014, 03:52:37 pm »
+1
In reference to pages 29 & 185 of Cambridge checkpoints 2013:

Q: In fibrous proteins, the polypeptide chains are arranged in parallel to form long fibres or sheets. In globular proteins, the polypeptide chains are folded into compact spherical or globular shapes. Describe a distinctive property of a fibrous protein and explain how this property is due to the arrangement of its polypeptides?

The answer says that one of the properties is its elasticity. But I'm confused because silk is an example of a fibrous protein and I know that silk does NOT stretch due its tightly constructed beta pleats secondary structure.

Could someone please explain this to me??

Thanks!

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #237 on: January 16, 2014, 04:38:20 pm »
+1
What type of proteins do 'free' ribosomes in the cytosol manufacture? I know ribosomes studded on the Rough E.R manufacture tertiary level proteins?
Also, does the E.R secrete its contents for the cell or for external cells? Can someone clarify this please? Thanks!

nerdmmb

« Reply #238 on: January 16, 2014, 04:45:29 pm »
+1
What type of proteins do 'free' ribosomes in the cytosol manufacture? I know ribosomes studded on the Rough E.R manufacture tertiary level proteins?
Also, does the E.R secrete its contents for the cell or for external cells? Can someone clarify this please? Thanks!

Both free ribosomes and ribosomes on the rough ER synthesis tertiary level proteins. The only difference is that proteins synthesised by the ribosomes on the Rough ER are packaged into vesicles and sent to the Golgi for further modification before being released via exocytosis.

Yacoubb

« Reply #239 on: January 16, 2014, 05:26:52 pm »
+2

Free ribosomes are the site of protein synthesis, for proteins that carry out their biological function within the cells they are produced. Ribosomes studded on the endoplasmic reticulum, which forms the rough endoplasmic reticulum organelle, synthesise proteins that carry out their biological function outside the cell in which they are produced.

The endoplasmic reticulum is an organelle made up of a network of membranous sacs, transporting substances within the cell and also partially modify the substances transported within the cell. It is the golgi apparatus that packages synthesised materials into vesicles that bud off the golgi body, and transport the synthesised materials out of the cell by exocytosis.