Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 03:01:37 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3608040 times)  Share 

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 12, 2014, 12:57:58 pm »
...its completely natural for us to feel that the assessors are waiting for us to stuff something up, but in fact, in the majority of cases, they want us to do well!

That's awesome. Never knew that.

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #181 on: January 12, 2014, 02:05:16 pm »
Yeah, assessors are instructed to try and reward students for what they HAVE done, not penalise them for what wasn't done or what should have been done.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

Yacoubb

« Reply #182 on: January 12, 2014, 04:54:48 pm »
Yeah, assessors are instructed to try and reward students for what they HAVE done, not penalise them for what wasn't done or what should have been done.

That's how some people get 10/10 in English exam scripts even if you haven't finished! Its quite solacing to know that though!

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #183 on: January 12, 2014, 09:33:47 pm »
Hi :)
Does anyone know why the internal membrane of mitochondria, have stalked particles on them?
Thanks ! and also why are there holes in the folds of the inner membranes of mitochondria?

Thankyou!

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #184 on: January 12, 2014, 09:42:34 pm »
Hi :)
Does anyone know why the internal membrane of mitochondria, have stalked particles on them?
Thanks ! and also why are there holes in the folds of the inner membranes of mitochondria?

Thankyou!

I believe the stalked particles increase the surface area to therefore increase the rate of reactions occurring so more production of ATP. The holes probably are spaces in which molecules can pass through to the electron transport chain.

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #185 on: January 12, 2014, 09:54:56 pm »
I believe the stalked particles increase the surface area to therefore increase the rate of reactions occurring so more production of ATP. The holes probably are spaces in which molecules can pass through to the electron transport chain.

Thankyou very much for your explanation!  :)

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #186 on: January 13, 2014, 01:29:35 am »
Why is it recommended to start VCAA past exam papers 2-4 weeks prior to the exam? I get why it's left till the end, but shouldn't they be practiced throughout the year to obtain a better grasp of VCAA styled questions; or does doing other exam papers from companies such as Neap suffice? Just want to know other peoples opinions on this.

Also, does anyone have any exam tactics? What would you recommend doing during reading time? Cheers!

MagicGecko

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • W3$T $IDe I$ B3$T $!D3
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #187 on: January 13, 2014, 02:30:06 am »
+3
Why is it recommended to start VCAA past exam papers 2-4 weeks prior to the exam? I get why it's left till the end, but shouldn't they be practiced throughout the year to obtain a better grasp of VCAA styled questions; or does doing other exam papers from companies such as Neap suffice? Just want to know other peoples opinions on this.

Also, does anyone have any exam tactics? What would you recommend doing during reading time? Cheers!
I'm not sure where you read that from, but I agree with you, biology exams should be practiced throughout the year so you can get used to VCAA's style. But I guess it all comes down to the individual (it always does), some find it better to learn as much material as they can and in the last 2-4 week they tackle as many exams as possible, others would rather do them throughout the year.

During reading time..hmmm...well I would suggest not looking at SA unless you really know your stuff, I say this because I know people that looked at the SA during reading time and were shocked to see a particular question he/she did not know much about but then again there were others that knew there stuff and looking at the SA motivated them. It acts like a double edged sword actually.
Anyway the obvious advice would be to do MC first, as there will probably be some MC questions that might help you to answer some SA questions.

2013-2016:
Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical)(Honours) @ RMIT

~Full-Time Biomedical Engineer~

"im not crying there’s just overpriced college education in my eye" ~ abigalmills-tumblr

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #188 on: January 13, 2014, 02:40:33 am »
Lots of people think that doing countless of exams gives you a certain high SS, for me that wasn't the case. I did about 70 practise exams throughout the year and only got 38, which could scale to about 39. I recommend you to go over your theory, VCAA study design and absolutely everything in your textbook before you start worry about practise exams. As for exam technique, during reading time I would get through every short answer question. Then I would begin and spend the first 1 hour and 15 minutes completing the whole short answer, and then leave multi choice until last, and then once completing multi choice I would spend the rest of my time (had 20 minutes in the exam to spare) going over my short answer responses. I ended up getting 38/40 for mc and 53/70 for SA, lost HEAPS of half marks and that is probably what mostly put me down for biology. If I could go back in time, I would have made a log book containing perfect responses to particular questions, because it came to hurt me in the exam. I probably lost 7-8 marks on questions I knew how to answer, but just didn't have the best of expressions and thus lost half marks.

Hope that helps,
Rod

Thanks Rod, that was very helpful. Either way, a SS of 38 is really good and not easy to achieve. I guess it comes down to really knowing your stuff and being able to formulate a good response on the spot. I'll definitely create a log book to help me with that. Also, having 20 mins spare is amazing; I've heard a lot of students don't even get to complete the paper. Anyway cheers!

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #189 on: January 13, 2014, 08:03:20 am »

I don't agree with this either tbh, definitely have a shot of doing some vcaa papers beforehand.

I personally read SA in reading time, did MC first in writing time, then did SAl
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

Yacoubb

« Reply #190 on: January 13, 2014, 09:34:44 am »
I don't agree with this either tbh, definitely have a shot of doing some vcaa papers beforehand.

I personally read SA in reading time, did MC first in writing time, then did SAl

Seconded! :)

nerdmmb

« Reply #191 on: January 13, 2014, 10:43:55 am »
So when should we start practise questions? At the moment, would it be sufficient to have covered unit 3 AOS1?
I'm a bit worried tbh. So much information
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:51:20 am by nerdmmb »

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #192 on: January 13, 2014, 10:44:50 am »
+2
So when should be start practise questions? At the moment, would it be sufficient to have covered unit 3 AOS1?
I'm a bit worried tbh. So much information

It's still the summer holidays, it would be sufficient to have not done any of this yet :P

nerdmmb

« Reply #193 on: January 13, 2014, 10:53:33 am »
Fair enough :)
I just hope I have enough time in the end to be able to complete and review my practice exams.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #194 on: January 13, 2014, 11:01:03 am »
+1
Don't get me wrong, you can work ahead if you want and if you have time/motivation, but you don't need to have done half the course before you start in Feb.