Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 01:08:32 pm

Author Topic: Photosynthesis SAC  (Read 8124 times)  Share 

Yacoubb

Photosynthesis SAC
« on: April 22, 2013, 10:05:30 pm »
Hey guys :)

I have a photosynthesis SAC coming up and I'd love to hear what SACs you did. I just want to have some sort of scope of what to expect for the SAC, for which my teacher told me is on photosynthesis, a nebulous answer!!

Bad Student

Re: Photosynthesis SAC
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:29:16 pm »
In my photosynthesis SAC, there were four test tubes filled with indicator. The first and second test tube contained a leaf, the third and fourth test tube didn't contain a leaf. We covered the first and third test tube using foil and then measured the rate of photosynthesis vs. rate of respiration by observing whether the colour of the indicator changed.

kerry.j

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • hella
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:59:49 pm »
Our class did a spinach leaf disc SAC similar to this http://www.elbiology.com/labtools/Leafdisk.html
We investigated the effect of light intensity on rate of photosynthesis, with three experimental groups. One in the dark, one close to a light and one far away from a light. Rate of photosynthesis was measured by how long it took for the leaf discs to float to the top.
2013: Biology {48} | Chinese SL {45}
2014: English | Chemistry | Methods | Further

Bad Student

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 10:12:10 pm »
Most of my SACs so far have been adapted from the pracs in the Nature of Biology activity manual.

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 10:36:34 am »
Both of the photosynthesis experiments my Biology teachers trialled have failed. XD So our SAC is now an experimental design. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

Yacoubb

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 01:16:27 pm »
Both of the photosynthesis experiments my Biology teachers trialled have failed. XD So our SAC is now an experimental design. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I have to do a full prac + design an experiment; best of both worlds -,-

Bananas8338

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: -
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 07:06:05 pm »
Our class did a spinach leaf disc SAC similar to this http://www.elbiology.com/labtools/Leafdisk.html
We investigated the effect of light intensity on rate of photosynthesis, with three experimental groups. One in the dark, one close to a light and one far away from a light. Rate of photosynthesis was measured by how long it took for the leaf discs to float to the top.

We did that one too. It didn't work for about a third of the students in my class, including me (i.e no leaf discs rose at all). In the write-up component of the SAC, all I can talk about is extraneous variables and assumptions I made which may have affected my results.  :-\ *sigh*
2012: | IT: Software Development (37) |
2013: | English Language | French | Psychology | Biology | Maths Methods

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 11:34:16 pm »

We did this one, but we were observing the effects of carbon dioxide concentration so one beaker used water instead of bicarbonate solution, whilst the other beaker had bicarbonate solution in it.

The experimental design in the test component involved investigating the different wavelengths of light and their effect on photosynthetic rate. I essentially used the same methodology, except used three coloured lamps and one white lamp instead, and had no test groups using water.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

Yacoubb

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 12:08:27 am »
We did this one, but we were observing the effects of carbon dioxide concentration so one beaker used water instead of bicarbonate solution, whilst the other beaker had bicarbonate solution in it.

The experimental design in the test component involved investigating the different wavelengths of light and their effect on photosynthetic rate. I essentially used the same methodology, except used three coloured lamps and one white lamp instead, and had no test groups using water.

I had the exact same Stick. Literally exactly the same

lord18

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 10:44:12 pm »
We did that one too. It didn't work for about a third of the students in my class, including me (i.e no leaf discs rose at all). In the write-up component of the SAC, all I can talk about is extraneous variables and assumptions I made which may have affected my results.  :-\ *sigh*
our school did the exact same thing except we only did two one with light and one without light