Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 08:57:21 am

Author Topic: VCE SUBJECTS  (Read 1926 times)

biology1234

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
VCE SUBJECTS
« on: August 02, 2021, 06:38:16 pm »
What is the difference between normal English and English Language. What do you guys recommend. Also I wanted to know how scaling works and like how your year level affects it

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: VCE SUBJECTS
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 01:32:02 pm »
+2
What is the difference between normal English and English Language. What do you guys recommend.
English is what you’re most likely used to from Years 7-10. It includes things like: orals, text responses, language analysis, expository essays, etc..

English Language is basically a beginner’s linguistics course and quite different to normal English. It discusses metalanguage and how English is used. You’ll still have to analyse language, write essays, but the difference is that there isn’t really one book per se to analyse (there are no text analyses) - instead, you need to find your own resources. I’d highly recommend that if this sounds interesting to you, that you check out the study design. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea and some may find English language more difficult than English since it’s an entirely different area and takes some getting used to.

Also I wanted to know how scaling works and like how your year level affects it
We have a thread on that here and the Victorian Technical score discussion board. I wouldn’t delve too heavily in this; it’s easy to worry over the numbers but the best thing you can do is to do something about those numbers (e.g. figure out what mistakes you’re making).

Don’t pick subjects purely for scaling either. It’s a big pitfall that a lot of students make. Scaling is there to even out the difficulty of exams/ subjects.

Edit: fixed some grammatical mistakes.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 06:16:11 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

biology1234

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE SUBJECTS
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 05:53:37 pm »
Thank you for that advice will check out the forum