Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:57:15 am

Author Topic: From today until November 2 (and beyond)  (Read 20998 times)

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
From today until November 2 (and beyond)
« on: September 30, 2017, 02:48:56 pm »
+10
Hi guys!

I decided to start my own HSC journey journal now after reading some others and thought what a great way to procrastinate from study ;D I may be a bit late but thought I might as well at least attempt to document my last five weeks of study.

My real name is Ella, middle name Paige. I originally used it as my username thinking I probably would only ask a couple of questions once or twice and then never visit again. I was very wrong  ;D 101 posts later and I'm stiiiiill here!! Im 17, from the Northern Beaches of Sydney and my main passion in life would probably be sport, in particular watching sport, and to go even further in depth, rugby league and cricket are my two favourites to follow. This has inspired me to want to pursue a career in sports journalism in the future. I completed work experience and two seasons of internships for the sydney sixers in the media department so I truly cannot wait to learn more about it all! I also love playing softball and touch footy, only socially now however as life begins to get busier!

My school does the HSC compacted, so I already sat my exams for adv english, gen 2 maths and society and culture, in which I received band 5s in all three. This year I did Extension 1 english, extension 2 english, legal studies and pdhpe, all which i am aiming to get band 6s/e3 or e4s in. I have enjoyed my subjects this year, and enjoying legal studies so much has made me want to pursue law as well at uni and to do a double degree

I sometimes find it hard to get motivated to study but it has been getting easier than the first monday of holidays where I found it extremely hard to get into doing work after many parties and graduation celebrations the week prior.

My atar goal is a 90+, with a 93 being a dream but very hard to get ;D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:56:49 pm by paigek3 »
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
Re: From today until November 2
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 03:04:58 pm »
I havnt come across many people doing compressed curriculum amd it intrigues me, so I have a few questions: What's it like? How do you pick which subjects are studied in which year? Do think it's better to do compressed or the normal system majority of us do?
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 03:29:14 pm »
+5
I havnt come across many people doing compressed curriculum amd it intrigues me, so I have a few questions: What's it like? How do you pick which subjects are studied in which year? Do think it's better to do compressed or the normal system majority of us do?

Hey! Personally, overall I do like doing it the way I do, but there are still a few annoying bits to it. It is VERY fast paced. On a normal day at my school, you usually have doubles for 2 subjects and a single for 1, so if you miss two days of school consecutive that could mean you are missing four hours of work. However, this comes in handy if you end up dropping a subject like I did this year, as I was doing 14 units I dropped business studies after completing the preliminary course. Speaking of that, we do prelim from term 4 week six to term 1 week ten, and then hsc for the full other two terms. However, for extension subjects (which lessons are before and after school), it is completed over two years like normal. Another cool thing is that year 11 and 12 are mixed together in classes which is a great opportunity as i probably would not have become friends with people in the year above or below otherwise

At my school we were lucky and got to choose whatever subjects we wanted to do in each year, and then they made the lines after they saw what we wanted to do. Every single person in my year got to do all the subjects they wanted in the year they wanted. I chose to do english and maths first year to get them out of the way so that this year i have been able to do more self 'elective' subjects which has made it more fun!

Like I said before, I do like it, but I dont really know different. Though, this time last year I thought i needed an 84 to do the course i wanted, but I have changed my mind on what I want to do and now I need a 93! The absolute biggest bonus is having to only study for three subjects when it comes to exam time and for the HSC in particular, and having the experience of already being through the hsc once is also pretty awesome

My school has returned back to normal system for next year's year 11 cohort as they thought with upcoming syllabus changes to subjects, it would be too hard to teach them so fast paced
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 06:19:38 pm »
+1
Ooh you're from the Northern Beaches too, yay! Hahah looking forward to reading your updates :))
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 07:36:59 pm »
+1
Ooh you're from the Northern Beaches too, yay! Hahah looking forward to reading your updates :))

Wooooo!!! What area of it? I’m in the Forest area and I’m sure you can presume what school I go to cause of that  ;D
HSC subjects

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
From today until November 2
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 07:58:01 pm »
+1
Wooooo!!! What area of it? I’m in the Forest area and I’m sure you can presume what school I go to cause of that  ;D

Ohmygod yeah, I thought that immediately as soon as I read your post because that particular school is known in the area for splitting their HSC between Year 11 and 12 hahaha. I'm from Curl Curl, but I commute a long way to school—which coincidentally is basically the school a suburb down from yours haha!
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 08:48:15 pm »
Ohmygod yeah, I thought that immediately as soon as I read your post because that particular school is known in the area for splitting their HSC between Year 11 and 12 hahaha. I'm from Curl Curl, but I commute a long way to school—which coincidentally is basically the school a suburb down from yours haha!

Yesss quite easy to guess ;D are you public or private?
HSC subjects

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 10:37:39 pm »

Yesss quite easy to guess ;D are you public or private?
Public haha

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 10:35:41 pm »
+6
Over yesterday and today I haven’t done one bit of study which I sort of feel guilty about. Sunday I spent the entire day hosting a grand final party for nearly 30 of our closest family and  friends, and today I just spent the day at the aquarium with my boyfriend. Hopefully back into it tomorrow - heading into school to do a past paper in exam conditions for legal
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 12:17:01 pm by paigek3 »
HSC subjects

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 12:19:57 pm »
+6
Just finished the legal paper, I'm having dizzy spells though which I get every month at that time of the month  :-\ which is annoying because it of course altered my quality of writing (yep, I get them sitting down too!!). They always make me feel sick so all I want to do is sleep and not study, but I am trying to push through because I really cannot afford three days in a row. Hoping they go after lunch so I can re-write my essays before handing them in for feedback! Or I might try really get into PD seeing as though that is my first exam... Ahh!
HSC subjects

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 09:03:28 pm »
+2
Hey that is so sick all the work experience you have done! I would highly recommend emailing Big League for next season, I did a week's work experience there and it was one of the best weeks of my life! Staff were so helpful and welcoming (there's only around 8 of them) and I got to write pieces for them and got published in one of their weekly magazines! :) Just something it seems like you would love!
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 09:36:30 pm »
+1
Hey that is so sick all the work experience you have done! I would highly recommend emailing Big League for next season, I did a week's work experience there and it was one of the best weeks of my life! Staff were so helpful and welcoming (there's only around 8 of them) and I got to write pieces for them and got published in one of their weekly magazines! :) Just something it seems like you would love!

Thank you so much!! It sounds awesome!! Will definitely have to get round to that :)
HSC subjects

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 08:24:10 am »
+1
I started a thread last night called ‘Next year’s plans’ and it has been a hit, everyone is loving it which is so awesome!!!!! Click on here if you wanna join in https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=173933.0 Still yet to find someone wanting to do what I do which sucks, but bright side is less 99.95 ATARS to compete with to get in  ;D
HSC subjects

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 09:48:27 am »
I started a thread last night called ‘Next year’s plans’ and it has been a hit, everyone is loving it which is so awesome!!!!! Click on here if you wanna join in https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=173933.0 Still yet to find someone wanting to do what I do which sucks, but bright side is less 99.95 ATARS to compete with to get in  ;D

Forgot to ask why you're looking at law and journalism combined? :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 10:34:52 am »
+2
Forgot to ask why you're looking at law and journalism combined? :)

Well, journalism (in particular sports journalism) is a field I have wanted to pursue since I was 12 years old so that has always been there, and then ever since doing legal studies it kind of hit me only about a month ago how much I enjoy it and I thought why not get a double degree just incase in 5 years time I do end up wanting to pursue law. Just something handy to have I reckon :)
HSC subjects