Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:29:31 pm

Author Topic: What is a "Fringe Enter"  (Read 2891 times)  Share 

ioaus09

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
What is a "Fringe Enter"
« on: December 14, 2009, 08:38:29 am »
The Title says it all, thanks for the help

linny

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
Re: What is a "Fringe Enter"
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 12:54:36 pm »
i need help with this tooooo
how many ppl get in under this fringe enter thingg

xXNovaxX

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 12:55:50 pm »
Clearly-in rank your guaranteed a spot if u get the ENTER

A clearly-in ENTER for a program indicates that point at which and above, all Year 12 applicants were offered a place in the previous selection period. So, if the clearly-in ENTER for a program in 2008 was 87.9, applicants with 87.9 or above were made an offer for that program.

Fringe ENTER if you miss out on achieving the clearly in, you get bumped up from SEAS etc maybe/fringe tends to be lower

The fringe ENTER, is the point above which the majority (95%) of offers were made. Only a small number of offers (5%) for a program are made below the fringe.

ngRISING

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 03:14:55 pm »

A clearly-in ENTER for a program indicates that point at which and above, all Year 12 applicants were offered a place in the previous selection period. So, if the clearly-in ENTER for a program in 2008 was 87.9, applicants with 87.9 or above were made an offer for that program.

Fringe ENTER if you miss out on achieving the clearly in, you get bumped up from SEAS etc maybe/fringe tends to be lower

The fringe ENTER, is the point above which the majority (95%) of offers were made. Only a small number of offers (5%) for a program are made below the fringe.

what if the fringe is higher then the clearly in?
2008: Further Maths & LOTE
2009: English Language, Psychology, Maths Methods, Business Management and Physics
2010: Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash!
2011: Bachelor of Business-Logistics & Supply Chain Management (applied)

Employed by NAB.

xXNovaxX

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 03:35:14 pm »
^That is the case for many courses.

In this case, you have to rely on SEAS =(, and sometimes GAT

But yeah, it sucks, LOL.

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 10:32:10 pm »

what if the fringe is higher then the clearly in?

In that case, the Clearly-In represents what the university wanted.  But, 95% of applicants exceeded the universities "expectations" if you want to put it that way.  That's why the Fringe ENTER is higher than the Clearly-In.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

Raymond

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 07:26:49 pm »
well im applying for physiotherapy at latrobe bendigo and my enter is .10 below the fringe enter 91.20 so does that mean my chances of getting into the course is very low or do i have a reasonable chance of getting in. any thoughts/comments would be appreciated

thanks
2008:[Psychology]
2009:[Chemistry][Methods][Biology][Further][English]

Enter:[91.20]

xXNovaxX

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 07:30:09 pm »
^ I can say ur practically IN =P

Because SEAS, if u applied for it :P

Raymond

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 07:31:25 pm »
thanks for that. makes me feel a bit more relieved to get some reassurance from you guys
2008:[Psychology]
2009:[Chemistry][Methods][Biology][Further][English]

Enter:[91.20]

monokekie

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 02:06:06 am »
just wondering out of curiosity, what if the course is of a high demand, and there are not enough spots for people who have Enter scores above the fringe-enter. will SEAS still shine its power in a stuation like this?

Edit: this question has been troubling me for a whilez, pls, an answer is srsly needed ~
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 02:35:10 am by monokekie »
well the limit can turn into a threshold..

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 06:25:03 pm »
just wondering out of curiosity, what if the course is of a high demand, and there are not enough spots for people who have Enter scores above the fringe-enter. will SEAS still shine its power in a stuation like this?

Edit: this question has been troubling me for a whilez, pls, an answer is srsly needed ~

This is what selection officers do for all courses at all unis:

1.  First, they go through all the SEAS applications and see who they think will be likely to succeed in the course even if their ENTER is too low.  For most courses, there should be a quota as to how many SEAS applicants can be offered a place.
2.  Next, they rank all the normal applicants.  The applicant with the highest ENTER goes at the top and everyone goes below that person on "the list".
3.  Then the selection officers will make their way down the list until no more places can be offered.  The person with the lowest ENTER who still got offered a place in the round is known as the "Clearly-In".

In some cases, this Clearly-In may be higher than the Fringe because of reasons I said before.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research