Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 05:39:00 pm

Author Topic: Bachelor of Science (Science Scholar Program)  (Read 5123 times)  Share 

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
Re: Bachelor of Science (Science Scholar Program)
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 09:37:02 pm »
is it just me or does the bachelor of science scholar's program look very similar, if not identical, to the normal science?
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

Akirus

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 09:51:18 pm »
is it just me or does the bachelor of science scholar's program look very similar, if not identical, to the normal science?

Much more flexibility with your subject choices (don't have to do all the compulsory stuff for normal BSc), but a lot harder to get into and maintain (99.25 for 2008 clearly-in and you need a 75% average in uni to stay in the course).

kazoospasm

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 02:05:13 pm »
It was introduced to keep the 99+ science types away from UoM. If you get the ENTER and were planning study a BSc, you may as well take advantage of the extra freedom.

It's the Science Advanced course that seems ridiculous to me. It appears to be little more than a restrictive version of the 'normal science' course.
2009: Psychology; Further
2010: English Language; Biology; Chemistry; Methods

Akirus

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 04:57:44 pm »
Back to the point before we went on a tangent:

I would like confirmation regarding the 96/144 credit points thing.

Assuming it really is 96 points to graduate, why would it still take 3 years? Isn't 48 points equivalent to 8 subjects, i.e. 2 semesters/1 year?

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 06:27:44 pm »
Mod Edit: removed silly bickering off-topic posts
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 07:27:26 pm »
It was introduced to keep the 99+ science types away from UoM. If you get the ENTER and were planning study a BSc, you may as well take advantage of the extra freedom.

It's the Science Advanced course that seems ridiculous to me. It appears to be little more than a restrictive version of the 'normal science' course.

yeah i suppose, but if i got 99+ there's no question i'd go to melb due to their graduate 'guaranteed' pathways.
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 10:51:40 pm »

yeah i suppose, but if i got 99+ there's no question i'd go to melb due to their graduate 'guaranteed' pathways.
If you got 99+, then you'd probably be smart enough to get first class honours at undergraduate level, which would get you into a graduate course anywhere in Australia (and even if you "only" got second class honours you'd still get into most masters courses). I think UoM are trying to make graduate studies sound more difficult to get into than they actually are.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 11:15:43 pm »

If you got 99+, then you'd probably be smart enough to get first class honours at undergraduate level, which would get you into a graduate course anywhere in Australia (and even if you "only" got second class honours you'd still get into most masters courses). I think UoM are trying to make graduate studies sound more difficult to get into than they actually are.

yeah i suppose this is true, but still having a garenteed pathway is much nicer since its easier to get into grad courses (you have to maintain high averages and such anyways). i guess you are right, but with some courses like med grad its extremely competitive and having the garenteed gives you an advantage - maybe its just for med wannabes like me, but its such a good opportunity increasing your chances.

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 09:13:24 am »

On another note, if I do go through with this course, I intend to get honors and then a PhD, so that is certainly a factor. Did I mention the prospect of having a PhD at 24 is pretty cool?

That is cool.

I could have a masters degree by 23. But then again to get a masters in physics you need a professor to actually agree to be your mentor (Its probably the same for all masters programs). I guess they don't want their record tarnished by a bad thesis.
2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

Akirus

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 04:19:36 pm »

yeah i suppose this is true, but still having a garenteed pathway is much nicer since its easier to get into grad courses (you have to maintain high averages and such anyways). i guess you are right, but with some courses like med grad its extremely competitive and having the garenteed gives you an advantage - maybe its just for med wannabes like me, but its such a good opportunity increasing your chances.

I was under the impression that there wasn't any guaranteed entry to research doctorates at Melbourne, only the professional ones (MD, JD, DVM, etc).

Either way, I want to go to an American university, maybe MIT/Caltech/Harvard etc for the doctorate so the guaranteed entry doesn't really help in that regard.